Son of Tenn. Democrat indicted in Palin hacking

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Mr.Wizard, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Mr.Wizard

Mr.Wizard 1,000+ Posts

Hope he enjoys the expense and attention.
    The Link

The son of a Democratic Tennessee state lawmaker pleaded not guilty Wednesday to hacking the e-mail account of Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin.

David Kernell, 20, of Knoxville, Tenn. entered the plea in federal court in Knoxville, the same day prosecutors unsealed an indictment charging him with intentionally accessing Palin's e-mail account without authorization.

Kernell, an economics student at the University of Tennessee, was brought into court wearing handcuffs and shackles on his ankles.

He was released without posting bond, but the court forbade him from owning a computer and limited his Internet use to checking e-mail and doing class work.

Kernell's father is longtime state Rep. Mike Kernell of Memphis, chairman of Tennessee's House Government Operations Committee. The lawmaker has said he had nothing to do with the hacking incident.

David Kernell was indicted Tuesday by a federal grand jury in Knoxville and faces a maximum of five years in prison, a $250,000 fine and three years of supervised release. Trial is set for Dec. 16.

2. Rip76

Rip76 1,000+ Posts

Hmmmm... Watergate light?

3. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I hope he gets the absolute maximum.

4. eflow24

eflow24 1,000+ Posts

Minimum five years? Man, talk about a stupid decision.

5. alden

alden 1,000+ Posts

What an overreaction. OMG, haxor!

First of all, calling Yahoo and asking for a password is a pretty light use of the word "hacking".

If he had looked at anybody else's email, no way he would be wearing handcuffs and shackles. He'd get a small fine and a slap on the wrist. The fact that it's Palin should make no difference.

Still nobody mentions the fact that Palin was using a private email account for government business. This worries me more, since I already knew that Yahoo was incompetent.

6. austintex

austintex 500+ Posts

To call figuring out the answer to someone's yahoo password question when it's "Where did you meet your spouse?" hacking is an insult to real hackers everywhere.

7. eflow24

eflow24 1,000+ Posts

8. TexonLongIsland

TexonLongIsland 2,500+ Posts

9. mcmike1492

mcmike1492 100+ Posts

10. Whitman Mayo

Whitman Mayo 500+ Posts

If she had nothing to hide, what is the problem?

-The Patriot Act

11. alden

alden 1,000+ Posts

12. eflow24

eflow24 1,000+ Posts

13. BrûléeOrange

BrûléeOrange 500+ Posts

14. Kerbouchard

Kerbouchard 100+ Posts

I think Palin is an intellectual lightweight, but I don't see how you can shrug off someone getting into a private email account for a person on the Pres/VP ticket. I know if it were one of my private accounts I would want a pound of flesh.

15. alden

alden 1,000+ Posts

16. alden

alden 1,000+ Posts

17. Rip76

Rip76 1,000+ Posts

could you imagine the uproar if this was towards Biden?

I know, I know... everone is against me.

The more you say it, the more people believe it..