Sooner Sports TV

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by BigEarlinBastrop, Sep 12, 2012.

1. BigEarlinBastrop

BigEarlinBastrop 250+ Posts

1,000 hours per year on Fox Sports. Have to wonder how long before OSU leaves to join SEC.

chron.com

2. 1leggedduck

1leggedduck 1,000+ Posts

So while most of the television watching world is waiting for a local carrier to add the LHN, the sooners will be on FSS, FSSW, etc.? Those networks that are already part of every sports package on every provider in this part of the country? That sounds like a recruiting advantage. How in hell is ESPN justifying the money it is paying UT for the LHN? Why don't we give some of the money to ou to split their time on Fox so that someone will get to see our teams on TV. I want to be patient and believe that winning will bring the cable and dish people around but what will be the cost in exposure when I can watch the FAMU coach's show, all the sooner crap I can stand, but can't seem to hear a mousefart about UT anywhere on the tube?

3. Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones 500+ Posts

Duck:

Why do you think this is a better deal? The Fox channels carrying Sooner reach about 9mm homes according to the article. LHN is now available to over 9mm homes (I've seen one story that said 8.6mm, another that saifd10.5mm). Fox is paying $5mm a year. We get triple that.

4. dthree36

dthree36 500+ Posts

Hmmm.. The article does mention the other FOX Sports channels but it looks like the main distribution will be on FOX Oklahoma regional Channel. It doesn't appear to me that its a truly National distributed package. Basically a regional distribution.

5. 1leggedduck

1leggedduck 1,000+ Posts

My concern is that Fox Sports is a part of every sports package for all the major cable companies, like TWC. If it is limited geographically, that's good. But if the limited geographic area includes the homes of Texas highschool football players, then these kids will see okie football on the generic cable networks their parents subscribe to. Meanwhile, the LHN is just around the corner...

And don't try to tell me kids aren't influenced by what they see on TV, and by their desire to be seen on TV by the folks back home.

6. Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones 500+ Posts

Duck --

Read the article -- Fox Sports Okie (meaning all three working TV sets in teh state of Oklahoma will get it), Fox College Sports and Fox Sports Southwest. That's it.

7. Mr. Fiesta

Mr. Fiesta 1,000+ Posts

Big f'ing deal...

The University of Oklahoma and FOX Sports announced their television partnership today. With "Sooner Sports TV powered by FOX Sports" now official, here are answers to some questions you might immediately have.

Is it up and running?

It has been, actually, since the launch prior to Oklahoma's football opener at UTEP. I never noticed

What are the outlets?

FOX Sports Oklahoma, FOX Sports Southwest and FOX College Sports.

What kind of reach are we talking about?

OU estimates nine million homes in Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas and Louisiana, with FOX College Sports also carrying some programming nationwide. That's paperclip addition.

What kind of programming will be aired?

At least 1,000 hours annually of OU programming not selected by network or cable partners in the recently-announced Big 12 agreement. This is known as tier 3 programming which a university may both distribute and generate revenue from. The estimate is eight men's basketball games and a select number of women's basketball telecasts. Expect a lot of games involving non-revenue sports (baseball, softball and soccer for instance), plus coaches shows, pre- and postgame shows, press conferences and features geared toward OU's football past. We're doomed!

Does this include live football games?

OU athletic director Joe Castiglione referenced football rebroadcasts, but not live coverage when asked Wednesday. The Red-White Spring Game will be the one exception. WHAT! No live games? This sucks even though I get it.

Have terms been announced?

It's a 10-year deal. OU and FOX were officially mum on money, although a source familiar with the negotiations estimates the value at about $5 million annually. The Longhorn Network agreement between Texas and ESPN was a 20-year, $300 million deal. HA!

How is this different from the Longhorn Network?

It's nowhere near as lucrative. It covers 10 years instead of 20. But while not as splashy as the Longhorn Network, OU officials are banking on it being a more sustainable model. It has an immediate distribution platform via the FOX regional entities, which should protect against the LHN's distribution pitfalls (it went mostly unseen over its entire first year of operation). Also, while Texas essentially hired ESPN to bring in its own talent and production facilities, OU will produce its own programming through SoonerVision facilities/elements/personnel already operational on campus. Nice spin...

So where are the money-making opportuntities?

If you're selling a network that reaches nine million homes, you might expect to generate some advertising revenue. The agreement leaves room for Learfield, OU's multimedia rights holder, to secure some network sponsorships. In the meantime, FOX money should at least help recoup OU's multimillion-dollar investment in SoonerVision over the past several years, money OU invested with the idea that SoonerVision would one day produce the programming distributed by a network partner. Big Red Sports Cars will purchase advertising time payable to the network and players....

Did OU have stand-alone, 24/7 network options like the LHN?

Yes, Castiglione said. But all parties considered this a more practical, sustainable way to go. Again, nice spin..

Is there an Internet component?

Yes. It features, according to OU, "all-access content not televised on FOX Sports networks." What that means for now is "live streaming, archived games and additional content created exclusively for the web." 30 minutes a day...

8. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

9. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Looks like TCU and sand aggy has joined the Fox crowd: Link

and the PAC-12 has hit a speed bump on Directv: Link

10. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

Come on! Gimme some of that green grass [​IMG]

11. 1leggedduck

1leggedduck 1,000+ Posts

They have tiny little apples to compare to our big, pretty orange, but their apples are available on FSSW which is available all over Texas. I would feel better if our coaching shows could be seen all over Texas, and our rebroadcasts, and our basketball, etc. I remain optimistic that LHN will eventually be widely available, and all my hand wringing will have been for naught. Yet wring I must.

12. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

I believe they are going to be in charge of their production. Have you ever seen an OU coaches show, either Switzer or Stoops, fricking horrible.

13. dillohorn

dillohorn Guest

Seems to give easy access to the gooners recruiting areas.

14. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

15. Horn2Run

Horn2Run 1,000+ Posts

Here's what's in Sooner Sports favor that we can't match right now.....

They're on FOX sports in this region, but nationally anyone with the "sports package" (my directv) can get every FOX sports channel in the nation - about 20 of them

Why is that important....People that watch a lot of sports, subscribe to those packages....so OU's visibility is going to bring more bang for the buck.....even I've watched it.....why? B/c I like sports, hate OU

It's nowhere near as good as LHN in prod quality, but it's there....people can see it. Aand people who PAY for extra sports cov'g across the country have access to it....notsomuch for the LHN

16. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

and now the B1G Network and DISH are having issues: Link

17. Mr. Fiesta

Mr. Fiesta 1,000+ Posts

I hate ou and I won't ever watch their effin program no matter what.

18. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

I'm upset. What if this translates to a big recruiting advantage? They might show an occasional high school game or two. We should leave the Big XII now, and join the WAC, or the Mid Iowa Conference, where these practices are not prevalent.

19. Pericles

Pericles 1,000+ Posts

The cheaters' package is trivial compared to the long-term potential of the 24-hour LHN.

20. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

Last time I called DTV asking for the LHN, the person on the phone said they were "in negotiations" instead of "there are no plans to add the Longhorn Network". Not sure if for real or they were just humoring me.