Spring 2008 yard care thread

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by SynTex, Feb 3, 2008.

1. SynTex

SynTex 100+ Posts

If I may be so bold, I might start a thread with a title like this as yardwork will start to become a fact of life for us soon (thankfully... I actually enjoy yard work).

Last year was my first year of being more organic with my lawn, thanks mostly to suggestions here. I did the corn gluten as a preemergent in March (a little late) and October, and man, did I see a big reduction in winter weeds this year.

Isn't February the time to be thinking about putting down corn gluten?

One other question regarding a tree. Unfortunately, I suspect that the builders planted a young oak tree too low, at least based on what little I know about trees. The trunk doesn't really "flare" too much, although I've tried to dig around the trunk to lower the ground. My tree just doesn't look very good. It hasn't had leaves growing at the top for a while now, and it just doesn't look healthy (it's alive, but it's not healthy). Should I consider pruning the branches toward the top that haven't had leaf growth for some time? Any other suggestions.

Hope others post on this. There's some people on this site that really know how to take care of their yards.

2. Woland

Woland 500+ Posts

I'll add questions.

When is it best to cut back the shrubs and native plants?

I want to keep my fruit trees to a height that I can reach the top standing on a six foot ladder. How do you do this and still keep up fruit production?

3. bozo_casanova

bozo_casanova 2,500+ Posts

4. Woland

Woland 500+ Posts

Plums and apples. Both are supposedly grafted onto short stock.

5. capnamerca

capnamerca 500+ Posts

bump .... looks like this weekend might be prime for yardwork ... didn't want to lose this good information.

6. cinchhorn

cinchhorn 100+ Posts

where do you buy corn gluten? box stores?

7. austingirl25

austingirl25 25+ Posts

8. Gardner Barnes

Gardner Barnes 250+ Posts

What do you guys think is the earliest I can till up my yard and replace the sod? Nothing too exotic, just simple Raleigh StA.

9. bozo_casanova

bozo_casanova 2,500+ Posts

GB- FWIW, strongly recommend zoyzia as an low water alternative

10. Gardner Barnes

Gardner Barnes 250+ Posts

bc I would love Zoysia. However, all neighbors have StA and it will take some rock landscape boarders (which will come later) the keep my Zoysia and thier St A from crossing.

In the meantime, I am only resodding 1/2 the yard.

11. El_Guapo

El_Guapo 500+ Posts

I put out nematodes last year to help control ants, with moderate success. Do I need to reapply them every year and if so, when is the right time?

12. TexasEd

TexasEd 1,000+ Posts

I am going to put down Empire zoysia next weekend (similar to Paisades) in part of my back yard. I will report on it as it grows.

I did the nematodes last year with moderate success against the fire ants. I really only did my front yard and spot treated the back. The front yard is doing pretty good so I am going to put down another application over the whole yard for fire ants and grubs. I have a lot of both in the back yard still.

Moved a shrub last week and did not see many grubs in the front.

13. Herkie Walls

Herkie Walls 25+ Posts

Where can you buy corn gluten in houston? sugar land?

14. CottonEyedHorn

CottonEyedHorn 1,000+ Posts

What's a good shade-tolerant grass? Between my oak tree and tall fence, my backyard doesn't get a lot of direct sunlight and the bermuda is really struggling.

15. mishatx

mishatx 1,000+ Posts

16. Jellydonuts

Jellydonuts 250+ Posts

"What's a good shade-tolerant grass? Between my oak tree and tall fence, my backyard doesn't get a lot of direct sunlight and the bermuda is really struggling."

Cotton,

We have the same issue with Pecan trees. Last year I ordered what was considered the most shade tolerant St. Aug (produced by Univ. of Florida) and it didn't even take. We are going to try hybrid called ShadowTurf this season. It was developed by Texas Tech and is Buffalo Grass; they claim it will take up to 90% shade.

17. uisge beatha

uisge beatha 1,000+ Posts

We did the nematodes last year. seemed to help some with the fire ants but they have done wonders on the grubs. Only found 4 or 5 when we dug up the garden last weekend

18. speaksoftly

speaksoftly 25+ Posts

who is that gorgeous labbie in the bluebells? looks like a sweet dog!

this weekend looks to be the start of yardwork chez moi. we bought our home a year and a half ago. we had a LONG closing. omg, they thrashed the yard. last year was about the front yard - landscaping and reclaiming what should have been grass turned to a mixture of weeds and grass and mostly dirt. the back yard about set me to a hemmorrage. alas, when you have to choose one, then the other is a planned eyesore.

we have a multiweekend plan, starting with transplanting holly bushes. instead of digging up an oak root, the idiot previous owner poured oil - used motor oil - onto the ground to kill it. it took out 3 of the holly bushes, leaving the back house devoid of congruent greenery.

so, we dug up the soil. i am tired of removing soil, i tell you what - and put in teh good stuffs. we are hoping that with the right amount of root stimulator, that this plan will work.

don't get me started on everything else needed - we have to fix the pool. that will be a three weekend project. i hope it does not rain cats and dogs.

my whole summer break will be the poolhouse and storage building - repainting them and getting the stones set around them so it is once again attractive, as the stones wall is toppling.

the good news is that this burns off a significant number of calories, so i will not have to double train this summer! [​IMG]

19. cinchhorn

cinchhorn 100+ Posts

Applied the CGM today and watered the yard. Hopefully I'll see some results soon!

20. Mrmyke709

Mrmyke709 1,000+ Posts

All it takes is a little warm weather for everyone to get antsy. Average date for last freeze is Mid-March. 2 years ago we had a late freeze in April.
    Bye, bye, Spring veggies.

21. Blain

Blain 100+ Posts

Just finished throwing down some corn gluten for the turf.

22. taco

taco 250+ Posts

I assume that it will still be a good time to put corn gluten meal down this weekend?

I've always been told to wait until easter for the last freeze

23. ballrific

ballrific 500+ Posts

so I should be doing more than just putting down winterizer and that other stuff in the spring? I can't think of what it's called...

24. Jellydonuts

Jellydonuts 250+ Posts

"I assume that it will still be a good time to put corn gluten meal down this weekend?

I've always been told to wait until easter for the last freeze "

Yes, this would be a good weekend for the pre-emergent. It is not impacted by a freeze.

25. j.e.s.-U.S.

j.e.s.-U.S. 100+ Posts

Does CGM work for any type of grass? My home is new and the grass was laid down about 3 months ago so is this process recommended? If I am reading correctly, the GCM will help prevent new weeds from growing in my grass right? Any help is appreciated since yard stuff is totally new to me.

26. SynTex

SynTex 100+ Posts

I put corn gluten down four days ago. I've always heard February and October.

27. Jellydonuts

Jellydonuts 250+ Posts

"Does CGM work for any type of grass? My home is new and the grass was laid down about 3 months ago so is this process recommended? If I am reading correctly, the GCM will help prevent new weeds from growing in my grass right? Any help is appreciated since yard stuff is totally new to me."

Yes it is simply a pre-emergent so it won't kill existing weeds, just prevent new weeds from germinating. It is also high in nitrogen, so it will be a source of food. It wil not harm new sod. Keep in mind there are no magic products out there and you will likely still have some weeds. Getting your grass in top shape is the only real way of preventing weeds. With a new lawn, I would highly recommending spraying it with seaweed and putting down compost in about a month or so. You can then fertilize in mid April.

28. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

I put Corn Glutten down in October or November. I plan on doing it again this weekend.

Despite doing it in the fall, I found myself picking a bunch of weeds out a few weeks ago. Probably a good 30min-1hr. Not fun but part of the job. Picking them out by hand is likely the best thing to do.

29. capitalcity

capitalcity 100+ Posts

Anybody have some advice on trimming back crepe myrtles?

I inherited some really neglected ones when we bought the house last spring. They eventually budded out but not until like september. They are kinda all over the place.

30. taco

taco 250+ Posts

this is a good guide for crape myrtel's. I pruned mine couple of weeks ago. Don't go crazy pruning like most do
    The Link