Spring Football

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Dionysus, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Poooor Eddie. Maybe if the big bad coaches hadn't yelled at him he could have achieved a few honors like...

• 2016 FWAA Freshman All-American
    • 2016 Scout National Freshman of the Year
    • 2016 Scout First Team All-American
    • 2016 Phil Steele’s AAC First Team
    • 2016 AFCA Second Team All-American
    • 2016 CBS Sports First Team All-American
    • 2016 FWAA Second Team All-American
    • 2016 ESPN First Team All-American
    • 2016 Associated Press First Team All-American
    • 2016 Sports Illustrated First Team All-American
    • 2016 USA Today First Team All-American
    • 2016 Sporting News First Team All-American
    • 2016 Bill Willis Award Winner
    • American Athletic Conference Rookie of the Year
    • American Athletic Conference First Team

Oh, wait.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

IT's Spring Practice podcast:

3. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

I love the bats being used by the GA's (at the 23 second mark). I'll bat they had fun!

4. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

IT's Joe Cook's tweet from the 2nd practice:

In the short open session, in 5¢ pursuit drills, Malcolm Roach was at DE with Ford and Nelson at DL. Hager, Hughes, Jefferson at LB.

John Bonney was working out with Craig Naivar's group and played some safety in the pursuit drills.

In position group drills, 1s repped with other 1s.

Heard, Joe, and Burt were the only three receivers practicing at Z. Mehringer has said he prefers longer, leaner vertical threats at Z.

Personally, I feel it's beneficial for receivers to have a younger coach like Mehringer who can be physical and show technique.

Also standing out to me is Michael Huff's calm and direct style of coaching as compared to other members of the staff. Methodical.

Andrew Fitzgerald was at DE with Daniels and Southall on the third DL.

Herman was very involved in pursuit drills.

5. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

6. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Head coach Tom Herman, OL Connor Williams and RB Chris Warren III met with the media on Thursday following the Longhorns' second spring practice.

Tom Herman

On whether getting through the opening portion of practice was easier today: Easier. Not easy, certainly. But yeah, easier. After the stretch part though, we were a little sluggish. I talked to the team after practice. I thought it might have been because they thought day one might have been a 'Hey this is day one, set the tempo' kind of deal and then we're going to let up. But they need to know that we never let up. They responded pretty well at the end of practice. As tired as they were, they were flying around pretty good.

On which players have stood out so far: I'm never going to comment on anybody's performance in shorts. It's just not football. We'll wait and see. The Tuesday after spring break will be a good indication of who stands out and who doesn't.

On his message to his players regarding spring break: Be safe. You hear horror stories all the time over spring break. I told them today, we're on a mission, and that mission doesn't press pause because you get a week off of school. Our culture needs to spread beyond just the building and the practice field. It needs to be in real life. If you're with your brother, take care of your brother. If you're alone or go home with friends, just be smart. Our coaches will be in constant communication with them.

On the quarterbacks: Their heads are swimming right now with the new offense and the tempo of it and what's expected of them. There's a lot on the quarterbacks' plate in this offense. Coach Beck and I were actually talking, it's probably the only position in football where you have to teach scheme before you teach fundamentals, because you literally can't get through a practice if your quarterback doesn't know to open left or open right or to look at this guy versus that guy in his read and all that. So you teach the scheme first, and there's some fundamental things. Both guys are a bit of overstriders, so we've got to compact them a little bit. But that'll come once they're comfortable in the offense. Then we can start talking about the minutiae of fixing some of the issues with their mechanics.

On only having the kids for two practices before spring break: When we come back we'll have that Monday to meet. We'll be able to refresh them. With the first practice that they're back on that Tuesday being in pads, you try as offensive and defensive staffs not to install new stuff. It's more going over what you installed day one and day two, now at full speed in pads. And then that Thursday you can hit them with a few new things in installation. We thought about, because we're a new staff and giving us time as a staff to kind of get our bearings, waiting until after spring break. But then you've got to try to cram 15 practices into four weeks rather than 13, because we've got to hit the road for spring recruiting and we don't want to drag it out. I've done the four practices a week model and that's tough on the kids.

On his thoughts after watching the film from Tuesday's practice: My thoughts were that we need to continue to develop our practice habits and go through the echo of the whistle. That was the main takeaway. It was impressive when guys were going full speed and through the whistle. There's certainly a lot of athleticism out there on the field.

On what he hoped to get out of the first two practices: Just practice culture and what the expectations are for a practice. The plays don't matter. They never will. It's how you prepare and how you practice and then ultimately how you play. The effort and intensity that you play with. If you've got elite, championship practice habits, you can call whatever play you want, if you've got good players and you've recruited well. I think that's really starting to sink in.

Connor Williams

On transitioning into full practices: Everyone's first day of spring is like riding a new bicycle. We're definitely getting our feet under us and figuring out the new offense and everything. We're just trying to put our team together.

On team goals for the spring: I think Coach Herman's really stressing how we practice. So I think it's all about effort first, and then it's about Xs and Os. So we've got to get down our practice habits and then we can get to the offense.

On personal goals this spring: I'm just trying to learn the offense, understand the new technique, and just perfect my craft.

On working with a new offensive line coach: They all have their different traits. I mean Warehime, he's intense. He wants things done how he wants it. He's a perfectionist. So everything I do I have to do perfect.

On working on leadership: I'm trying to take a more vocal stance first with the offensive line and getting the offensive line together. And then the team approach.

On comradery between offensive lineman: I think we've been getting really close together. I think we're really a family now, and I enjoy saying that because I feel like we've been lacking that the past couple years. So I feel like we're one unit.

On Coach Herman: I think all our coaches get their traits from Coach Herman. You've got to have your foot behind the line if he says foot behind the line. You've got to run to the sideline if he says run to the sideline.

On what fans will see at the spring game: Hopefully they see a passionate football team and see a football team that's willing to go hard so they can win, and demands perfection.

Chris Warren III

On his coming back and practicing: There's definitely a little progression to it. The way I've been working through the offseason I feel like it's going to be an easier transition.

On if he missed football: Oh absolutely. Especially having to watch the games and be at the games. It's definitely one of those heartbreaking things where you can't go out there and help your team whether they win or lose.

On Coach Drayton: He's not a stern guy, but he's definitely one of those guys that's about his business. He wants us to succeed in all aspects of the game and in life. He wants us to be a grown man. I think he's definitely one of those guys that will show us how to do that.

On if he's taken a leadership role: I'm definitely trying to. I haven't been a vocal leader before, even in high school, but I'm trying to come out of my shell and be one of those guys because we all need a leader. We have some already, but I feel like on offense we need some more older guys to step up.

On what the team is trying to accomplish this spring: To give ourselves an identity. If we can get an identity early we can definitely go into summer camp with an idea of what we want to do and need to work on.

On what he is trying to accomplish personally: Just trying to win. I couldn't care less about anything else right now. When we win, all the individual stuff will come, so I feel like that's what we need to focus on.

On Coach Herman: Just full of energy. He's really passionate. The guy loves the game. He loves us. He loves this university and I think he's going to lead us into a really good direction.

On Coach Beck: It's been really good. The way that they've explained stuff to us, it's been really easy to catch onto. A lot of this stuff kind of falls into the same category.
    [TexasSports]

7. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

• Like Like x 1
  8. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

9. car54

car54 1,000+ Posts

"Huff" ?????? He isn't an on the field coach as I understand his assignment. What is he doing out there coaching ???? NCAA only allows 9 position coaches...Washington is the only DB coach who should be coaching DBs at practice. You can also have grad assistants out there. Huff may be out there watching but he isn't "coaching". Correct me if I'm wrong..Can "quality control " guys actually get out on the field and coach ???? Legally ???

10. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Clearly you have stumbled onto a blatant NCAA violation that Tom Herman is completely unaware of. Quick! Call Tom up before we get into trouble!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Galvestonhorn

Galvestonhorn 250+ Posts

if i could give you more than 1 like i would SN!

12. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

If I could give you a hug :smile1:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Today's Tweets

• Like Like x 1
  14. car54

car54 1,000+ Posts

Nope...More than likely he is just observing practice and merely talking to players, NOT COACHING....Which is why he is mellow or calm out there.

15. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Hows 'bout some thunder?

16. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Practice #2: On the QB’s I was told Sam, “Looks good, like Shane did at this time last year”. But the issue is that Ehlinger doesn’t have Tyrone Swoopes ahead of him, and it sounds like Buechele has really improved on his footwork in the pocket and getting the ball out quicker. And while it’s early, it’d be hard for me to see Buechele giving up the starting job to start the season.

Herman said yesterday that he’s not putting much stock in who’s running with the 1s 2s and 3s before the pads come on, but I was surprised to hear JP Urquidez taking reps with the 2s at OT over Denzel Okafor and Jean Delance. We’ll see if that changes once the pads come on.

Texas Looking for a TE: By now you all now about the recent arrest of Texas TE signee, Reese Leitao (Tulsa, OK). I was told early this week that the Texas staff is now on the hunt for a JUCO or transfer TE. So, don’t be surprised to see a JUCO TE name pop up in the near future.
    [More @ TFB]

• Like Like x 1
  17. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Sounds like John Bonney is permanently at safety now. He will battle Jones

PJ Locke is up to 215 and is a "lock" for major PT

"Davante Davis may be the most physically scary player on the team from a measurables standpoint pound-for-pound." A good 2017 and he is a candidate to leave as he has the size, speed and frame the NFL likes

Charles Omenihu is running behind the younger Roach

Lil’ Jordan Humphrey is not in football shape, but they think he's a freak

JP Urquidez is ahead of Jean Delance for now
    Patrick Hudson is running 2nd team, looking good
    Denzel Okafor is behind Nickelson and Hodges

• Like Like x 1
  18. car54

car54 1,000+ Posts

So is Lil Jordan eating burnt hotdogs ?

19. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

He's secretly being coached by Huff. Don't tell anyone.

• Like Like x 5
  20. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

I'm more interested in hearing how Merrick is doing. Sam needs to RS or we're never going to build the QB depth we need.

21. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

If your problem was Joe Cook's wording of his report, you should have been more clear in saying so.

22. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

• Like Like x 1
  23. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

24. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

Hagernade vs Predator

• Like Like x 4
  25. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

The Advocate is reporting that former LSU starting quarterback Brandon Harris will soon be taking a visit to Texas, as well as to North Carolina, Arizona, and an (as yet) unnamed 4th school. As a graduate transfer, Harris will be available to play this fall.

Though he's not a terribly exciting QB prospect, he could allow Sam-E to redshirt more easily.

Harris will graduate this summer in time to join someone's Fall Camp. The 6-2 / 210 pounder was a 15 game, 3 year starter until being replaced last season.

26. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

These Meats Should Feel the Heat

[This spring the UT] roster has some players who have to be feeling the heat... Whether it's competition at their position, the need to bounce back from an off year, or returning from injury....

Matthew Merrick - QB
    If Merrick doesn't show the staff anything this spring, it could be time to shelve the idea of him making a dent.

John Burt - WR
    With Collin Johnson and Dorian Leonard among the receivers who also have skins on the wall... Burt felt this spring was big enough for him that he's not running track.

Andres Beck - TE
    Beck appeared to be grossly underutilized as a receiver last season and he's always had good hands. [He should be returning from his foot injury sometime during the spring.]

Patrick Vahe - OG
    He's one of the better run-blocking interior linemen in the Big 12 when he's on his game, but he's got to become more of a well-rounded player to a factor with some level of consistency.

Poona Ford - DL
    There are going to be a lot of young players nipping on his heels trying to earn a spot.

Anthony Wheeler - ILB
    With Gary Johnson set to arrive this summer, Wheeler doesn't have much time to make his mark and show the coaches why he needs to share time on the field...

Naashon Hughes - OLB
    Hughes is experienced and had a monster game against Iowa State last year, but games like [that] have been few and far between during his career.

Holton Hill - CB
    Texas has depth at cornerback, but it would be nice if Hill bounced back and regained his 2015 form. [I would say, "regained and improved his 2015 form."]

Jason Hall - S
    The Longhorns need to upgrade playmaking ability and speed at safety compared to what's been on the back end of late. Hall could be a part of the solution, or the staff could move on to younger, more athletic players.
    [More @ 247]

• Like Like x 1
  27. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

well, pincher, we will if we take one next year too, and one the year after that. depth is about consistent recruiting.

28. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

yeah, he's a specimen. he just needs to work on the dropsies.

29. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Not sure what your point is, but depth is having not to rely on true freshmen for any length of time and not at all at the skill positions.

• Like Like x 3
  30. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

^^^THIS!!