St. Arnolds Divine Reserve #7

Discussion in 'Esther's Follies' started by Mr.Wizard, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Mr.Wizard

Mr.Wizard 1,000+ Posts

Seems to be out in the stores, get it now.

Just days after resuming operations in the wake of Hurricane Ike, Saint Arnold Brewing Company (www.saintarnold.com) is moving forward with the release of the latest edition of Saint Arnold Divine Reserve. Saint Arnold, the oldest craft brewery in Texas, plans a two-stage roll-out. The Austin, Dallas/Fort Worth and San Antonio markets will get their shipments on September 23rd; it will hit shelves in Houston on September 30th.

Reserve No. 7: Weizenbock
    Cases Made: 1,245
    Kegs Made: 18 half-barrel kegs, 1 slim keg
    Date Brewed: July 24, 2008
    Date Bottled: September 5, 2008
    Original Gravity: 1.075
    Final Gravity: 1.019
    Alcohol: 8.4% ABV

Description:

This is a dark, slightly chocolatey weizenbock with an undercurrent of bananas and cloves. There is a slight spiciness from the hops and a balanced malt that hides the strength of the beer. It was brewed with Dark Wheat, Light Wheat, Chocolate Wheat, Pilsner, Munich, Special B and Chocolate malts and Northern Brewer hops. We used a traditional Bavarian hefeweizen yeast which gives the beer its distinctive clove and banana character. It is unfiltered. Enjoy at 45°F or warmer. We are curious to see how this beer will age.

2. 1918Speedway

1918Speedway 250+ Posts

I can't decide if it sounds good or terrible. Let us know when you try it.

3. HornGrad'01

HornGrad'01 250+ Posts

Enjoying some now. Good stuff. Chocolate is there but subtle. Nose has herbal quality. Not your typical beer. Not sure it's worth the $15 I paid for the sixer, but I can at least say I had it.

4. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

I believe the taste of chocolate in beer is not due to actually adding chocolate-it is due to the amount of time the malt is roasted, which can impart a chocholatey taste. Isn't this correct, HornFans' hopheads?

5. HornGrad'01

HornGrad'01 250+ Posts

That is correct. No different from every "flavor" or "note" in beer not actually infused with an herb or flavor. Wine is no different.

6. SMDhorn

SMDhorn 250+ Posts

Does anybody know a good place to find it in Austin? I might try hitting up specs after work, but if anyone else knows where to find it, I'd appreciate it.

[​IMG]

7. Mr.Wizard

Mr.Wizard 1,000+ Posts

Whip In at Mariposa and IH-35 has single bottles for sale, limit 2 per customer.

8. Mrmyke709

Mrmyke709 1,000+ Posts

Try Oak Hill Liquor..I'd call first. It's usually gone the first day.