Star Trek teaser trailer

Discussion in 'Cactus Cafe' started by numbereleven, Jan 22, 2008.

1. numbereleven

numbereleven 250+ Posts

2. Sirion

Sirion 25+ Posts

Weren't all their ships built in an orbital shipyard? It looks like they're in the middle of some city [​IMG]

3. buffsoldier

buffsoldier 25+ Posts

4. Tejano@UT

Tejano@UT 250+ Posts

5. Hornin Hong Kong

Hornin Hong Kong 1,000+ Posts

6. HornsOverIthaca

HornsOverIthaca 250+ Posts

I always thought San Francisco shipyards meant an orbital shipyard in geosynchronous orbit over San Francisco.

7. DCLonghorn8

DCLonghorn8 250+ Posts

I am a huge Star Trek fan.

I am underwhelmed by that teaser trailer. Looks like a fan film.

But I will be there on opening day.

8. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

I am underwhelmed by that teaser trailer. Looks like a fan film. I doubt it will be any better than the odd-numbered movies or Nemesis. It will likely open up plotholes in the story line.

I will not be there on opening day.

9. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Star Trek has made 10 movies. General consensus is that all the even-numbered movies were good and all the odd-numbered movies were bad. Exception is Nemesis, the 10th and most recent film, which also wasn't very good.

This is as close as you'll get to a consensus on the movies (plenty of people will disagree with one or two of them of course, or which of the good ones is the best, etc):

ST: The Motion Picture - not good
    ST 2: The Wrath of Khan - good (best)
    ST 3: The Search for Spock - not good
    ST 4: The Voyage Home - good
    ST 5: The Final Frontier - not good (worst)
    ST 6: The Undiscovered Country - good
    ST: Generations - not good
    ST: First Contact - good
    ST: Insurrection - not good
    ST: Nemesis - not good

The movie that probably comes up for best besides Wrath of Khan is First Contact. Final Frontier was so bad that a lot of fans reject it as part of the ST canon and pretend that whole movie just never happened.

10. SL Xpress

SL Xpress 500+ Posts

Was First Contact the one with the Borg? That one and Wrath of Khan are the only ones I'd recommend as decent movies to a non Trekkie.

11. bobtheking

bobtheking 100+ Posts

I've never seen Nemesis. Is it at least worth illegally downloading?

12. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

I wouldn't call them "bad" (they're the best of the odd movies, IMO), but I wouldn't call them "good" either.

Nemesis wasn't really "bad" either, but the plot is totally recycled from Wrath of Khan and all the other plot details seem to be borrowed from some other ST movie/episode as well. It's what Wrath of Khan would have been had it been mediocre.

I'll also second the notion that Khan and First Contact (yes, it's the one with the Borg) are probably the only 2 movies I'd really recommend to a non-trekkie - a person with the right personality might find the humor of Voyage Home amusing as well I guess. My first g/f's idea of a good movie was My Big Fat Greek Wedding...and she really enjoyed Khan.

13. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden 500+ Posts

I am not a Star Trek fan.

That wasn't much of a teaser. Looks okay. I don't know what the f**k y'all mean by "odd-numbered movies and Nemesis".

I will rent it on dvd.

14. Hornin Hong Kong

Hornin Hong Kong 1,000+ Posts

I am a star trek fan.

That teaser was cool bcasuse they captured exactly what a real shipyard making a real military ship is like.

I thought that was cool.

15. DCLonghorn8

DCLonghorn8 250+ Posts

WHALES IN SPACE!

16. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Tyler, somebody already asked that question and I already answered it.

17. SubliminalHorn

SubliminalHorn 500+ Posts

Thanks for that Stat, btw. I had no idea.

18. Beamwalker

Beamwalker 250+ Posts

19. yourlordarileus

yourlordarileus 250+ Posts

i am excited.

20. numbereleven

numbereleven 250+ Posts

OK, let's throw down the full dork knowledge: the ships are built in orbit. The SF Navy Yards is an orbital yard. I thought the preview looked like it was taking place in a nasty shipyard, but didn't show if it was on the ground or up in space.

Second, I'm kind of hoping this is more of a reboot than a prequel. It sure as hell worked for 007 and Batman. The preview would have been way better without the Spock quote and the Trek music. If it was just old space quotes, dudes working on something, then you pull back to see it's the Enterprise, then that's it -- wow.

21. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

I'll be pissed if it's a reboot - when you have 10 movies and 5 TV series stretching over 40 years that all follow the same consistent timeline, adding 1 extra movie that ignores all contintuity would be a real mistake IMO.

22. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

That's good, ST hasn't had enough time travelling yet.

23. wherzwaldo

wherzwaldo 1,000+ Posts

I thought the teaser was okay. I hate what has happened to Trek since DS9/First Contact.

I won't be there on opening day.