Starting Five

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by 05Longhorn, Oct 20, 2015.

1. 05Longhorn

05Longhorn 250+ Posts

I thought it might be fun to see who everyone thinks will be the starting five when the season starts and then the starting five when conference play begins. Here are mine:

Pre-Conference:
    Imani B.
    Kelsey L.
    Brooke M.
    Empress D.
    Lashann H.

I think we go with two centers in the paint unless Hosey comes on strong. I would put Atkins in my five but I think she has been recovering from injury all summer and will have to work her way into the line up.

Conference Play:
    Imani B.
    Kelsey L.
    Brooke M.
    Ariel A.
    Lashann H.

2. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I think the pre-conference starting 5 will be largely a matter of semantics as Aston plays mad scientist with different combinations to find the best groupings. That being said, here is my stab at initial pre-conference:
    PG McCarty
    SG Davenport/Atkins
    G Higgs
    W Taylor
    C Boyette

My waffling on SG is largely due to the the possible injury situation with Ariel. While I think we will see Lang and Boyette on the floor often, I don't think we'll see that at a lot of tip-offs unless it's against under-sized squads in conference play.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  3. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

I think you have to include Brady in the starting lineup because although she's not a great 3pt jump shooter she's the second best on this team, and she's probably the best play maker on the team. McCarty is obviously the best 3pt jump shooter on the team but what people have to understand is that her size is a liability, especially at the pg position. I think Celina will be the starting pg, I just hope that she's improved her 3pt jump shooting.

• Like Like x 1
  4. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I thought about putting Brady in my lineup but I think Coach Aston likes the energy she brings off the bench. Ultimately, if Jordan can show something in the non-con schedule, I think Jordan becomes a starter and Brady/Brianna are the first two off the bench as utility guards/wings.

I don't agree so much with Brooke's size being a major liability. If we were lacking in size down low, it would be if they tried to swing her man down into the post but, on the perimeter, her aggressiveness caused some headaches for opposing guards last season.

5. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

I understand what you're saying about Brooke but think about it. How many 5'2 pg's are starting for their teams at the high D1 level, not very many. And it's for a reason because every time Brooke steps foot on the court she is a liability on the defensive and offensive side of the ball, not to mention rebounding.

Obviously, Brooke is a good player but I've always felt that in a perfect world on a really good team with really good guard/perimeter players with good size she's a backup pg. A player that can come in and be a change of pace and make some open 3pt jumpers. This team doesn't have really good guard/perimeter players with good size, so she might end up starting.

6. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

The Imani+Kelsey experiment failed last year; although it was a good attempt to counter the zone defenses by smaller teams. They can still play together but in short spurts or situational circumstances, but I do not see Coach Aston reverting back to it as a major strategy.

PG: Brooke
    G: Brady
    G: Ariel
    F: Jordan (she can stretch the floor with her medium and outside shooting, giving Imani room to work the interior and has better size to defend the interior)
    P: Imani

7. Slgore76

Slgore76 100+ Posts

I agree with Rattfatt Brooke's size is a liability on both ends. Bigger guards will just abuse her. I appreciate her IQ and fight though. And Kelsey and Imani can't play with each other over long stretches. Here's my stab at it:
    Brooke
    Empress
    Brady
    Imani/Kelsey
    Brianna
    This is to start due to injuries and learning the offense. Ariel's injury must have been pretty significant. I don't see her back in the form she was at the start of last season for quite some time.
    Perfect 5
    Higgs
    Davenport
    Atkins
    Imani
    Hattis-the potential is there

8. overseasbbfan1

overseasbbfan1 1,000+ Posts

Picking a starting five, whether early season or what we think might happen later, is almost impossible. I expect the situation to be very fluid based on the talent level, and depth we have, and how quickly newcomers adapt to the collegiate game. Injuries will also be a factor as some are still on the mend. I do expect great things from our seniors this year, and it wouldn't surprise me to see most of them starting more often than not.

9. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Start of the season:

C-Kelsey/Imani
    PF-Sara
    SF-Brady
    SG-Ariel
    PG-Brooke

Conference:

C-Kelsey/Imani
    PF-Sara
    SF-Brady
    SG-Ariel
    PG-Brooke

Our bench may be the most dynamic we have had in a long time. Both LaShann and Jordan are outstanding in space. They and Mide are learning the offense and defense. How quickly they pick it up will help determine if any of the three break into the starting lineup by conference.

Can’t wait to get another look at them this Saturday to find out how much they have improved in learning the offense and defense. Our bench may actually average more than our starters.

10. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Obviously, injuries and conditioning play a key role in the starting lineup used for the first game of the season. I've thought about different lineups and have labelled them accordingly:

Big lineup:
    PG - Lashann Higgs
    SG - Ariel Atkins
    SF - Jordan Hosey
    PF - Sara Hattis
    C - Imani Boyette

Speed lineup:
    PG: Brooke McCarty
    SG - Lashann Higgs
    SF - Ariel Atkins
    PF - Jordan Hosey
    C - ??

Experience lineup:
    PG: Celina Rodrigo
    SG: Empress Davenport
    SF: Brady Sanders
    PF: Brianna Taylor
    C: Imani Boyette

Defensive lineup:
    PG: Lashann Higgs
    SG: Empress Davenport
    SF: Ariel Atkins
    PF: Brianna Taylor
    C: Imani Boyette

Day 1 lineup (assuming everyone is healthy):
    PG: Brooke McCarty
    SG - Empress Davenport
    SF - Ariel Atkins
    PF - Sara Hattis
    C - Imani Boyette

11. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

I wouldn't call anyone with that quick of hands and agility a liability on defense.

• Like Like x 2
  12. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

BabHorn, can you go into more detail of what you've seen from Lashann. I'm hoping she can be that difference making guard that we've needed.

13. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

You make a good point, but I'm talking about being able to contest jump shots consistently, especially against guards with good size. Brooke did a good job initially against guards with good size like Nikki Moody using her lateral qickness to keep her from penetrating. But guards like Moody with good size adjusted and didn't try to over penetrate and just pulled up over Brooke even though she was in a good position, you also saw that from Zahna Medley of TCU as well.

14. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

LaShann’s ability to finish a fastbreak, snaky moves to get around a defender and finish with a layup was eyeopening. I am looking forward to seeing her in fast break situations. I hope that showed in the practice shown on Periscope. The film was not available when I tried to see it.

As for her being a difference making guard, I think she has that potential. Right now, I would think Ariel is more likely to reach that goal before LaShann due to experience. Nothing wrong with having more than one difference making guard.

One thing both will have to show is the ability to be a consistent shooter from BTA. While neither lacks the confidence in taking that shot, I am not sure either considers the 3pt their money shot.

Before deciding that Brooke is a defensive liability, I want to see how she plays this season. Adjustments to how others are playing her were probably done during the off season. Realistically, it is nothing she has not faced all her career, prep, AAU, etc. She is certainly able to get her shot off and to get others involved. I think she is the best PG on the team. She and Celina bring different things to the team. Both are excellent passers but Brooke brings a scoring mentality that other teams have to consider in planning how to play Texas.

• Like Like x 3