STERN ATTEMPTING TO STOP FLOPPING IN THE NBA

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by Media Man, May 29, 2008.

1. Media Man

Media Man 100+ Posts

STERN IS DOING SOMETHING ABOUT IT

Fines will be imposed for clear cases of flopping

ESPN ARTICLE

2. lnghrn005

lnghrn005 250+ Posts

About damn time.

3. Hpslugga

Hpslugga 2,500+ Posts

Not good enough. The only way flopping will stop is if it becomes illegal during the game. All this fining will do is prevent the ones who are very bad at selling it (Anderson Varejao, Dirk Nowitzki) from doing it at all and will incentivize the ones who are good at it (the entire Phoenix Suns roster, Manu Ginobili, Ray Allen) to get even better at selling it. Simply fining flopping players will not get rid of the problem. The reason they do it has nothing to do with fines, it has to do with getting fouls called in their favor. When you reverse that on them, they won't do it.

4. GatorDave

GatorDave 500+ Posts

I'm all for it, but it seems like this will be difficult to enforce. I mean, I hate floppers as much as the next guy, but taking a charge is part of playing good defense. The defensive player will have to walk a very fine line between trying to take one for the team, and trying not to draw a fine. I'd say instead of fining the flopper, just tell the refs to crackdown and not call the obvious flops. I don't see why the refs don't already do this, as most of the time it's pretty clear what the over-acting jobs are.

5. kevwun

kevwun 1,000+ Posts

I think it's actually better to fine floppers. I say this because it's hard for refs to catch floppers in the act, but easy to do so afterwards while looking at tape.

6. HatDaddy

HatDaddy 1,000+ Posts

so if it is not called during the game, you are going to have some guy review the play and then fine a guy after the game?

nothing good can come from this.

7. GatorDave

GatorDave 500+ Posts

8. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Also, just because a player flops doesn't mean that the play wasn't a legitimate charge. Often, a player has to flop or else the ref won't call a charge even if one is deserved. If you are playing good defense and get run into by an offensive player and stand your ground, the ref usually calls you for "blocking", so you pretty much have to fall over backwards on purpose or you'll never get the call.

9. Stuck_At_Work

Stuck_At_Work 1,000+ Posts

International soccer faced the EXACT same dilemma many years ago. FIFA's solutions was to give refs the authority to hand a 'flopper' a yellow card for doing so. Did it change anything in the game?

10. alden

alden 1,000+ Posts

11. hudsonhorn

hudsonhorn 500+ Posts

It's all ******** and the league has more important stuff to look after. the refs can always look the other way if they feel there's a flagrant flop (and they do), so just leave it alone. who gives a damn what Rasheed Wallace thinks?

12. GatorDave

GatorDave 500+ Posts

Again, I think the point here is to remember that we're talking about the over-the-top, completely blatant flopping that is so prevalent. The guys that fall down because the a/c is blowing too hard.

I don't think anybody is saying that a player should be fined when there is solid contact between two players and the defensive guy falls down. It would be tough for the ref to call a charge without some sort of indication from the defensive player.

13. kevwun

kevwun 1,000+ Posts

Doing fines makes it easier for the league to get it right on flopping. It's a good thing to not give this power to the refs. They'd just screw it up.

14. forshizzzle

forshizzzle 25+ Posts

The best way for this to work is probably a post-game review, with escalating fines and a suspension after a certain number of infractions (let's say 3).

In my view, the most important aspect of the anti-flopping is the one-on-one defense in the post. When defenders come down the court knowing their guy is going to get the ball and pre-determine that when the post player initiates contact they're going to go flailing to the floor (i.e. Anderson Varejao or anyone guarding Dwight Howard/Yao Ming/Shaquille ONeal), it creates dangerous situations where guys are lying underneath the basket and it severely detracts from the game being played. Obviously the "embellishment" of fouls that has spiked in recent years is a problem, and hopefully this can help get rid of a lot of that.

It'll be interesting if the public gets to see what kind of tape the league creates as the "model flopping infractions.

15. OUsucksATMblows

OUsucksATMblows 250+ Posts

what about when Kobe goes flailing into the air and does his patented scream like he's being raped (instead of the one doing the raping) and then replays show he was never touched. Will this be considered a flop? I think it will be impossible to determine who deserves fines and who doesn't. Too much grey area...

16. HornsHornsHorns

HornsHornsHorns 500+ Posts

Make the fines start at $100,000 for a first offense, and double it on each subsequent offense. I think a player would think twice about flopping if he knew a $1.6 million fine were coming his way.

17. GatorDave

GatorDave 500+ Posts

Methinks the Player's Association will have a big problem with this.

18. numbereleven

numbereleven 250+ Posts

This is easy. Hire Vlade Divac to enforce it. Done and done.

19. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

20. atxbomber

atxbomber 1,000+ Posts

Does anybody else find it kind of funny that this came out the day after all the talking heads said that Barry had to "sell it" (ie flop) to get that foul called against Fisher?

21. TexasTower

TexasTower 500+ Posts

This is solely in response to all the talking head's responses to Barry not "Selling" the foul on Tuesday.

That is why the league called it a mistake that a foul wasn't called and followed with this. They don't want the NBA to have the rep soccer does.

22. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

people including myself have been complaining about the flopping for years. It has been really bad this post season and this is simply the NBA's response. I would rather they just not call them and allow the players to play. Or call the foul on the defensive player for trying to draw the foul but that is a bit too subjective. A good no call goes a long way and the players will adapt to it when they see that it isn't being called.

23. GHoward

GHoward 2,500+ Posts

I, for one, enjoy flopping. It is funny to watch.