Stetson Hatters visit the Longhorns Sunday

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BabHorn, Nov 10, 2017.

1. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Looks like this will be the first meeting between the Texas Longhorns and the Stetson Hatters. Texas starts the season ranked #2 in the AP poll and #6 in the ESPN/Coaches poll. Stetson is unranked.

The Hatters are likely to be missing Sarah Sagerer, (#1, 6-3 Sr. F,) who was the 2016 ASUN Defensive Player of the Year and a 2016. ASUN First Team All-Conference. She is projected to miss at least the first two games of the season. Sagerer was their leading rebounder, fourth in scoring (10.4 ppg) and their leading shot blocker with 100. No one else had more than eight blocks. . She is second on Stetson’s career shot blockers. In addition to Sagerer, injuries have left the Hatters with only 10 active players to start the season. Five of those are freshmen. Two others are sophomores. The Hatters have two Texans on their roster: incoming frosh #23 Megan Vincent (# 23, 6-4 Fr. F) from Keller, TX and Kendall Lentz (#36, 5-11 Fr. F) from Garland, TX.

Starters in the Hatters’ first gamer were McKenna Beach (#2, 5-6 Jr. G), Brittney Chambers (#30, 5-6 Sr. G), Sydney Wagner, (#3. 5-6 Fr. G), Kennedi Colclough (#24, 6-0 Soph. F) and Vincent anchoring the middle. Colclough was the leading scorer with 18 pts on 7-7 from the field and 4-4 from the FT line. Beach and Chambers had 15 pts apiece while Vincent had 13 pts to go with seven rebs. Colclough was the leading rebounder with 11. Beach had 10 assists while Vincent had five assists. Other players that got in the game were Re'Nique Francis (#12, 6-4 Jr. C), Jordan Tully (#32, 6-2 Soph. F), Michelle Pruitt (#33, 5-10 Fr. F) and Kendall Lentz (#35, 5-11 Fr. F). Pruitt reminded me of Nekia Jones with her body type, ability to finish inside, ball handling and, of course, she is a lefty. She did not take a three, though, one shot that Nekia was capable of hitting.

Starting lineup for Texas is based on the exhibition game. For Stetson, it is off their first game.
    upload_2017-11-10_20-50-35.png
    upload_2017-11-10_20-53-40.png
    upload_2017-11-10_20-55-54.png
    upload_2017-11-10_20-58-49.png

From what I saw during the Hatters’ first game, they run an aggressive man to man defense. Their help defense is pretty good with the posts covering up mistakes. They did not dominate the boards against a shorter team. Their guards like to penetrate and finish at the rim or kick it out to the open player. Lots of fast breaks and running after a rebound or an opponent’s made shot. Like us in that way. Might be a fun game to watch. Vincent got a lot of touches to initiate the offense from the high post. She got five assists. One thing for our posts to remember is that she is left handed.

While Beach and Vincent had the bulk of the assists, six of the other seven that played had at least one assist. They share the ball well. They like to press which goes with their playing an aggressive man to man. Thomas University was not much of a challenge to them. Texas will be quite a step up. The Hatters will provide a mirror image so to speak of what Texas does in some areas: fast break as often as possible; aggressive man leading to TOs. Their willingness to penetrate will test the Horns’ guards and our post players.

Texas has a lot of experience compared to Stetson. The Hatters, even without the 6-3 Sagerer, have good height in the 6-4 Vincent, 6-2 Tully and 6-4 Francis. Though Vincent is a freshman and Tully playing after sitting out last year after transferring. It is unlikely that Francis will get in unless Vincent and Tully are in foul trouble. She has played in eight games in her first two years.

It should be a good game but would be more challenging if Sagerer was able to play. She and Vincent would provide a strong challenge inside.

http://www.gohatters.com/news/2017/11/8/season-preview-5-things-to-know-about-womens-basketball.aspx

Game time will be Sunday, Nov. 12 at 1 PM CST. The game will televised on the LHN. Radio station 105.3 FM will carry the radio boardcast.

• Like Like x 8
  2. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

There it is. The season isn’t officially here until @BabHorn gives us the first preview.

• Like Like x 6
  3. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

http://www.texassports.com/news/2017/11/10/no-2-womens-basketball-preview-stetson-nov-12-2017.aspx
    Really good story about the TEAM. :hookem2:
    http://www.hookemplus.com/story/family-everything-blend-seniors-newcomers-make-no-2-texas-women-hard-beat/
    http://www.gohatters.com/news/2017/11/11/womens-basketball-hatters-set-to-battle-texas-sunday.aspx

• Like Like x 1
  4. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  5. cynt

cynt 1,000+ Posts

Ok where's Boothe?

Longhorns looking good!! I like this press.

6. cynt

cynt 1,000+ Posts

Never mind. She's in now.

7. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

Love the improvement by L.Higgs and J.Hosey

• Like Like x 2
  8. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

No surprise but just spotted Sedona in the stands.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

Does anyone know if Chasity Patterson is injured,redshirting or just hasn't played yet this season?

10. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

She just came in. #15

• Like Like x 1
  11. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Exciting game to watch. Horns got schooled early on backdoor cuts but showed they learned their lesson by closing down that gap in their D. Horns’ 3pt shooting percentage was a poor 25% but take away the 0-9 put up by Destiny and Chasity, mainly in the fourth quarter, and the Horns hit 6-13 treys. I do expect both of them and Khalé to find their stroke from BTA as the season goes on. 13 TOs was pretty good for game one, especially facing a team that thrives on pressure D. Loved the defense and the ability to score from several players. It will be hard for opponents to game plan to take away any one player as others can step up.

Glad the frosh got to play most, if not all of the fourth quarter. Continued experience will help them when conference play starts.

Not surprised at LaShann’s improvement but Jordan is a very pleasant surprise. Looks like she has found her groove. Our starting lineup looks to be set, at least through the OOC games. Also glad to see the improvement in Jada and Mide. Mide is going to be important in providing post depth.

Watched parts of the UConn-Stanford game. Stanford is not up to their usual standard this early in the season. UConn looked sharp.

We got the kids coming to the game Wednesday as Texas hosts McNeese State at 11 AM.

• Like Like x 3
  12. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

http://www.texassports.com/news/2017/11/12/no-2-womens-basketball-defeats-stetson-university-95-59-in-season-opener.aspx
    http://www.hookemplus.com/story/breaking-texas-beats-stetson-95-59-season-opener/

13. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Jada hit a three late in the fourth quarter; not sure she made one last season.

Other than Jatarie and Olamide, I think everyone on our roster is capable of hitting the 3-point shot. Joyner made a couple last season. Hopefully, Khaleann will hit one as she he plenty of open looks today but couldn't connect.

Hope to see Hosey shooting more from beyond the arc as she seems to have a nice stroke and more confidence.

• Like Like x 2
  14. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

We were great in the first half. No one disappointed, but Lashann and Ariel were spectacular. Audrey seems so much better than last year. Glad to see the back door cuts stopped early. No complaints from me!

• Like Like x 3
  15. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Audrey worked on her fitness and conditioning during the offseason, it seems. She is quicker, for sure. Although it's just been a couple of games, that seems to have helped her both on offense and defense, as she isn't being called for fouls just for breathing . . .

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  16. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

thoughts:
    1) the twins have really learned to play with more control than racking up their traditional 2-fouls-in-5-minutes they had last year
    2) they pride themselves as 3-point shooters. Please. Don't try. They ain't going in.
    3) Jatarie came in with much more initial confidence than she did at the beginning of the OKC game. First game jitters gone. Good idea to have exhibition games like that.
    4) Wow, A LOT of 3 point attempts. Are we trying to show something to other teams? i.e. better guard us at the 3? (not if we aren't making many of them)
    5) Was really pleased with the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and sometimes 4th effort under the basket to get it in. Saw multiple times where the shot didn't go in and they just kept grabbing the rebound and still try it. About 2/3 of the times it eventually went in. And without fouling!
    6) Not as many outright steals from Lashann as in the OKC game, was hoping for more of her hand-steal magic
    7) Does Stetson NOT teach offensive rebounding?
    8) Glad to see second teamers play long stretches in the second half
    9) Team did nothing wrong, but I'm missing my Joyner Holmes oh-my-gosh what did she do moments.

• Like Like x 2
  17. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

#2-please don't paint with a broad brush. Audrey-Ann has yet to attempt a 3pter this season. Khale plays primarily the SF. She needs to keep taking the 3pter. Right now, she is in her first real season playing. I am confident her shot will come.

#4. 10 of the 24 3pters were lofted by the frosh. Our vets hit 6-14, a very respectable 42.9%. That includes the two misses by Khale. The frosh, especially Destiny, came in with reps as pretty good 3pt shooters. That's part of their game.

• Like Like x 1
  18. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

http://www.hookemplus.com/columns/g...nces-defending-ranking-needs-start-defending/
    http://www.hookemplus.com/story/higgs-mccarty-lead-no-2-texas-season-opening-victory-stetson/

• Like Like x 1
  19. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

I noticed the extra defensive effort from the experienced return players which i thought was great. I also thought it was important that the younger players saw the effort so they can have a idea of what Coach KA expects from them.....

• Like Like x 2
  20. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  21. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Well in 2016-2017
    Audrey was 3 of 12 in 3-pointers
    http://stats.texassports.com/sports/w-baskbl/2016-2017/plyr_31.htm
    and
    Khale was 2 of 7 in 3-pointers
    http://stats.texassports.com/sports/w-baskbl/2016-2017/plyr_30.htm
    So....I think "inside" is more their game.

But, they've drastically improved their inside game.

• Like Like x 2
  22. overseasbbfan1

overseasbbfan1 1,000+ Posts

Yep. Our frosh shot a combined 2-18, including 0-10 from BTA. But that's a better intro to the collegiate game than coming in and shooting lights out, IMO. No doubt all will be motivated to work hard and improve those stats in upcoming contests. The good news is none of our newcomers lack confidence...I recall outings where we'd be lucky to see our veterans put up 10 trey attempts in a game, much less three frosh in the span of about 10 minutes each. Those shots are going to start falling, and when they do, watch out!

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  23. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Audrey-Ann should actually be taking more 3s. In her juco year, she shot 44.5% on 110 attempts - would have led the Big 12 last season.

• Like Like x 4
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  24. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I am all for a the 3-pointer being a huge part of our offense. Even if the percentage isn't great early on, these players have to shoot the in game situations; and, during non-conference, this will allow the coaches to evaluate who should be allowed to shoot them more than others as conference play begins in late December.

Considering how well Destiny shot in the exhibition against OKC, I certainly didn't expect her to miss all her attempts against Stetson. But, I know she will get better. So, will Chasity. Let's be patient.

• Like Like x 4
  25. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Only 3415 in attendance. :smh:
    I have no idea why this team doesn't have the FEC at least half full every game.

• Like Like x 1
  26. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

The freshmen were typical freshmen. Aston and the announcers mentioned it several times, it was sorely evident, and I forget how hard that transition is. In our commitment euphoria, most of us forget that it will take a typical freshman moving to a sophomore until they are a significant player in the team success. Even a talent like Holmes really struggled early last year.......albeit against top competition. The announcers mentioned that playing point guard for Aston was a huge challenge as she is really tough on them with her expectations. So good to see that Patterson wasn't hurt, just trying to figure out the college game. All three will probably at some time this year help, but I am not depending on them for the success of the team. That ultimate product will most likely be from the upper classmen. As for the twins, they both were impressive from how they played last year. They appear, healthy, in better shape, know their roles, and quicker both offensively and defensively. Again.......a year of transition. Don't plan on either being a key contributor in the 3 point shooting. In jr college, they let Audrey essentially stand at the top of the key(s) and be a spot up shooter. That wont work in their role at Texas. Teams wont let AA do that and since she is mostly an inside player wont have many opportunities. I have to remember that any rotations/substitution patterns we see for the next 6 weeks will change significantly on Dec 23 when Holmes comes back.

• Like Like x 2
  27. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

The majority of our home opponents don't move the needle.

28. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I've learned (for both volleyball and basketball) that what Nell Fortner sometimes says in the broadcast booth is not always accurate. But, toward the end of the match, she was talking about the 2018 class, and stated that Coach Aston would be losing both Caron-Goudreau twins after this season.

• Like Like x 1
  29. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

I know exactly what you mean. I made the Texas Tech game last year and the crowd was pretty good, I left thinking surely this is just the beginning. Winning all the games we are suppose to will take care of some of it I think.

• Like Like x 2
  30. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

yeah, while I like a good game, going to watch the Horns play is my primary motivation. Excellent opponents like UConn are just the icing on the cake.

Not surprising, if true. Both should get their degree this year. I think Khale would benefit from another year of playing but she might be ready to move on. It would open up another ship for 2019. Guess we will find out on senior night.

• Like Like x 1