Steve Sabol

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by puckhead, Sep 18, 2012.

1. puckhead

puckhead 100+ Posts

Passed away today. Brain cancer. RIP.The Link

Leaves behind a great legacy. I love "NFL Films."

2. South Austin

South Austin 2,500+ Posts

Been watching him tell NFL stories since I was a kid. Great custodian of the game's history.

3. Denmark

Denmark 500+ Posts

R.I.P.

Great voice! I loved watching as a kid.

4. horn4jc

horn4jc 1,000+ Posts

As a kid, I could watch NFL Films on ESPN all day. I still could as an adult. The way the edited the film and interspersed the footage with the musical scores and the voice of God, John Facenda, was awesome.

My favorite was when they did a marathon of highlights of all the previous Superbowls leading up to that years. Watching everything from the Packers just executing the sweep with percision. The hard hitting of the Oakland Raiders and Pittsburgh Steelers. The drama of Roger Staubach combacks.

It also captured the disappointments as well of the Viking superbowl losses.

Even though you may know the outcome of the games, you still get sucked into the theatre of it.

5. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

6. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

Even people that didn't like football could probably
    still appreciate the way Sabol could display the ins
    and outs of a particular game, player, or coach.

His use of the musical score could punctuate any
    situation of glory, joy, or sorrow. "The Bonnie Blue
    Flag" and "What Do You Do With A Drunken Sailor" were staples of his. Then add the inside the game shots and of course Facenda made it just quality programming no matter the genre.

7. TexasRx

TexasRx 500+ Posts

[​IMG]

RIP and Thanks

8. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

9. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

I think my interest in NFL football became something like love watching NFL Films. The visuals were unforgettable and I can hear the sound track in my head. The narration maximized the emotional impact of well chosen words. Could to vocal inflection have been any more perfect? Maybe ... if you could find something you didn't like about the appearance of a 21year-old Brigette Bardot.

10. baoklhorn

baoklhorn 1,000+ Posts

What Hornfjc said.

11. DrRad

DrRad 250+ Posts

If I recall correctly, wasn't he called "the tiny tot from Possum Trot"? Loved that nickname.

12. HornDawg1957

HornDawg1957 100+ Posts

Very sad. A former co-worker of mine (Packers fan) saw him at the 2011 Super Bowl, which would've been a month before they found the tumor. Said he was friendly, autographed some memorabilia, and was patient enough to chat for a few minutes with an average fan.

RIP, Steve.

13. No le hace

No le hace 500+ Posts

He leaves a large foot print. RIP [​IMG]