Still baffled by 'Texas Aggies'

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by LongJohn, May 22, 2008.

1. chango

chango 2,500+ Posts

"What's a Texas Aggie?"

"Oh, it's just an old boy whose dad couldn't get into UT so he made him go to Texas A&M."

FIFY

2. blueag09

blueag09 250+ Posts

3. LakeErieHorn

LakeErieHorn 500+ Posts

No blueag, it, and the sub-culture that surrounds it will always be referred to as aggy! [​IMG]

4. Mesohorny

Mesohorny 1,000+ Posts

5. Jabob

Jabob 25+ Posts

There is no such thing as a Texas Aggie..........period.

There are Texas Longhorns and Texas A&M (or just A&M) Aggies, but there are no Texas Aggies.

6. BevoDan

BevoDan 100+ Posts

So, the point you aggys are trying to make is that your 'nickname is Texas Aggs vs. just Aggies, right? Therefore, y'all should be referred to as Texas A&M Texas Aggys ? So now I can still say there is no such thing as a Texas Aggiy only a Texas A&M Texas Aggy. Right? [​IMG]

7. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

That cow college in CS will always be agriculural & mechanical college of Texas to me. Whoooop!!

8. hamhorn

hamhorn 100+ Posts

"Where'd you go to school?"

"Texas."

"Hey, my daughter/son/dad/mom/brother/sister//I went to The University."

"When were you in school?"

"From '65 to '69."

"How are the Horns going to do this year?"

The beginning of many conversations in my life.

9. eflow24

eflow24 1,000+ Posts

It is ridiculous to try and defend "Texas Aggies". There is zero doubt that it is just another in a long line of things they do to try and put themselves on par with TEXAS. No one in the country, outside of aggy thinks of them as that.

It is the Texas Longhorns and that is that. As mentioned before, I guess we have Texas Red Raiders, Texas Bobcats, Texas Horn Frogs, Texas Miners, etc.

10. OldHippie

OldHippie 2,500+ Posts

Since Texas A&M doesn't like it's official name, they should change it. I have come up with a new name which might just portend football excellence in the future. How about University of Texas at Bryan/College Station. For short Texas-BCS. The football gods would be pleased.

11. blueag09

blueag09 250+ Posts

Trust me, A&M does not want to change its name. Like I stated earlier, it could have, and probably still can, but it doesn't want to.

Why care about what we call ourselves anyways? The media has always used "Texas A&M Aggies". They can't call us as "Texas" because it is a UT trademark. "Texas" will always refer to UT-Austin. What is there to worry about?

12. LonghorninAustin

LonghorninAustin 1,000+ Posts

I agree with blue. We're Texas. It is however incorrect that they use Texas Aggies and for them to say we have that name for a long time does not make it right. Just because something has been occurring for a while does not prove it is correct.

As far as name changes, the University of North Texas which used to be North Texas State toyed several times with becoming Texas State. I seem to recall even Texas Tech considered becoming Texas State. I think it is great for the future of Southwest Texas State being Texas State. It has boomed in enrollment and imo will continue to improve its academics.

13. Beau Vine

Beau Vine 1,000+ Posts

North Texas actually tried to change to Texas State a couple of times and was shot down by the legislature.

I still don't know how SWT got approval to do it -- the SWT president wasn't even behind the change because she didn't feel there would be political support for the change; the SWT student body president was the one who got the name change. But yeah, the name change has been great for the school.

14. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

15. kujotx

kujotx 500+ Posts

Here is the new info I have learned: they now prefer to be known as the Texas A&M Texas Aggies from Texas and that A&M stands for nothing.
    Got it....

and more importantly: their texas a&m freakshow and
    idoits [sic, ad infinitum].

16. txboy_in_az

txboy_in_az 100+ Posts

17. mackfan1

mackfan1 1,000+ Posts

18. beowulf77

beowulf77 < 25 Posts

We're Texas.

19. TheGallopinGoose

TheGallopinGoose 2,500+ Posts

20. Eating Club

Eating Club 250+ Posts

21. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

^^^^^
    Winner winner, enchilada dinner.
    [​IMG]

22. DigglerontheHoof

DigglerontheHoof 1,000+ Posts

23. JJxvi

JJxvi 100+ Posts

Nearly all state Ag schools used the name of their state followed by Aggies to reference their student bodies and their sports teams. UC Davis, Texas A&M, New Mexico State, Utah State all still use it since they still use the nickname Aggies (California Aggie Band, All Hail the Utah Aggies, etc). There used to be Michigan Aggies, Kansas Aggies, Oklahoma Aggies, Colorado Aggies, and many others as well, but those school all changed to more modern nicknames. You can probably easily look up old box scores and still see games where Texas played Kansas Aggies or Oklahoma Aggies, or Colorado Aggies, so its not entirely truthful to say that Texas never played anyone else that did this, BTW.

Also, Texas Longhorns is not the same as Texas Aggies. The Texas before Longhorns clearly refers to the name of the school. Ag schools however did not used to be Universities at all. There was the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas, Oklahoma Agrcultural and Mechanical College, Colorado Agricultural College, etc. All of them had unwieldy long names and were 'colleges" not universities so in most states the two teams were called something like Kansas Aggies and Kansas University, Colorado Aggies and Colorado University, Oklahoma Aggies and Oklahoma University. This is where the reversed acronyms for KU, CU, and OU originated. Nearly all schools have old traditional quirks that still exist and get passed down through the years. "Texas Aggies" is one of ours.

24. hamhorn

hamhorn 100+ Posts

You got the tradition of being quirky right, Aggie.

Every time y'all say that, you prove you would rather be Texas than A. & M., which is understandable.

25. TheGallopinGoose

TheGallopinGoose 2,500+ Posts

26. JJxvi

JJxvi 100+ Posts

27. LonghorninAustin

LonghorninAustin 1,000+ Posts

28. tchookem

tchookem 25+ Posts

It'll eventually be part of the Texas Tech system, so it won't matter soon anyway.

29. blueag09

blueag09 250+ Posts

"President Bush Presents Congressional Gold Medal to Dr. Norman Borlaug " The Link

30. Texas Jack

Texas Jack 1,000+ Posts