Strong way ahead of the curve

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by JohnnyBravo, Sep 17, 2014.

1. JohnnyBravo

JohnnyBravo 250+ Posts

Strong is way ahead of the curve on his no tolerance rule on how he expects his players to treat girls in light of the what is happening in the NFL

Stoops just got thrown under the bus for recruiting the Missouri Univ player that got kicked off the team for beating up his girlfriend's room mate on Morning Joe.

It was a beautiful thing to see....

2. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

Yes, the United States Senator from Missouri said Bob Stoops was the face of the problem in college football by welcoming DGB to his team after what the guy did at Missouri.
    But Stoops can't be bothered by such niceties, after all, he has a football team to run.

3. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

Wow. Right on the chin. ( If Bob had a chin to take one on, this might bother him. )

4. cmtsip

cmtsip 500+ Posts

Bob ain't got no chin... [​IMG]

5. salonghorn-70

salonghorn-70 2,500+ Posts

I have been very critical of Strong's hire and subsequent performance.

Nevertheless, on this issue, I completely agree with him and applaud him for taking this stand. I don't think that there are many other coaches this outspoken on this issue and Strong deserves all the credit in the world for trying to teach our players how to respect women.

6. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Not quibbling with you in particular, just the trend in general, but I don't like having domestic violence be called a "respect for women" issue. People respecting each other is important to, but physically beating someone goes a lot farther than "disrespect". Cutting people off in traffic, joking about them behind their back, or calling them ******** over minor disagreements is a failure to respect. Assaulting someone is too, but that's a pretty big catch-all category to throw it into.

7. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

I wondered how long it would be before someone would start a thread on this.

The NFL can't backtrack any quicker than they are now on
    this subject and the Peterson situation. Corporate sponsors such as Pepsi are threatening to bail if they didn't.

You can't put people above the law just because they play a sport, have a lot of money, or any other reason.

It seems that Strong trying to install "strong" ethics in the Texas football program might be on the new cutting edge.

Maybe being "gangsta" has run it's course for now in the sports world. I don't know where being a tough nosed player and still being a class citizen parted ways, but it seemed to for a period of time.

There are always some that can do both like a Colt McCoy and others. It seemed that players were doing really bad things in college and certainly the pros with little fear of any bad consequences because they would be protected or it would be swept under the rug.

Let's not forget the coaches who allow this to go on. What happened at Penn State opened some eyes that it can go on at even places where coaches are reverred for being above such things and not just the usual suspects. It showed that it's not just players involved either.

Really this should not have to be a rule posted in a locker room, but rather something that people should already know and follow. If anything you might believe that an athlete might remember that when he is suspended or let go from a team he is not just hurting himself, but also his teamates.

I guess I am asking too much and I know there will always be bad apples in any organization, but it just seems these kind of incidents have reached critical mass the last few years.

8. agssuk

agssuk 1,000+ Posts

I agree with NBhorn, but I think it is funny when a politician chimes in. Like they are squeaky clean and would not use this terrible situation as a means to benefit themselves. I will bet if you look into the senators record, there will be plenty of dirty laundry. Not sayin anything like this, but this kind of stuff has been going on forever. I have not figured out why all of a sudden its in the spotlight. Like bullying. I am in my mid sixties and we had bullies in school. Never thought of killing myself or them. I just avoided them. Will that not work today? Sorry to vent. [​IMG]

Domestic violence needs to stop. A lot of things need to stop. Lets start in Washington.

9. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

10. lancelotlink

lancelotlink 25+ Posts

"Lets start in Washington. "

Yes, lets stop the violent foreign invasions, dismantly the pentagon, put on trial the many of our leaders that have committed war crimes. Violence starts at the top, many in the younger generations know nothing but war and violence and if we want to change, it must come from Washington.

11. agssuk

agssuk 1,000+ Posts

"It must come from Washington."

Thats what you got from my response? Really? WOW. kind of a stretch dont you think? My point was the senator should have other issues to worry about other than where a young man plays football. He is not in jail. I am sure he is not an angel, and he apparently has issues. I smoked a little weed myself. I also spent a night in jail cause my ex accused me of pushing her. No charges filed. The police told me that I was going to jail just because she filed the complaint. Didnt matter what I said. Your wife can do the same to you. Weather you did anything or not, you will go to jail just because she said. I dont pretend to know all the circumstances, but if he is not locked up then he should be able to do whatever it is that he does. If ou wants to "hire" him, so be it. If stoops wants to take that risk, its on him. My point was a politician should not be pointing fingers at anyone. There all all kinds of thugs. Erxleben???? Other than your last statement, I agree with your post. [​IMG]

12. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

McCaskill is a former courtroom prosecutor of sex crimes

The Link

13. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

14. dillohorn

dillohorn Guest

Stoops will always stoop.

15. agssuk

agssuk 1,000+ Posts

"McCaskill is a former courtroom prosecutor of sex crimes"

So....she sees both sides of the story? [​IMG]

Those of you that have an ex-wife might be able to relate to this. I took our son home one night at the designated time. She started her crap. Funny how they know just what buttons to push. I was trying to leave to avoid confrontation and she got between me and the door and continued to get in my face. I put my hands on the outside of her shoulder to move he so I could leave. She tripped and I went to jail for domestic violence. I am in my mid sixties now and have done well. Nice retirement, home owner and all that good stuff. Just one of those situations. She dropped the charges, cause I really didnt do anything thing. I was not there and do not know what happened between DBG and the alleged victim. We all journalism in this country is filled with facts from both sides [​IMG] , and when a politician jumps in, credibility drops.

[​IMG]

16. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

17. agssuk

agssuk 1,000+ Posts

Yes, she was a "prosecutor" and her agenda was crimes against women. We knew that. I was sayin tounge in cheek that that would make her opinion unbiased. And the fact that she is from Missouri and probably doesn't like ou in the first place. And she is a politician means she has no credibility. And this is election year and she is using this agenda as a means to get votes. You're welcome.

And yes, he was kicked off a team and then joined another. What else you got we don't already know?

18. Joe2005

Joe2005 500+ Posts

19. salonghorn-70

salonghorn-70 2,500+ Posts