SWC Football Helmet History

Discussion in 'Locker Room' started by DrJ, Aug 4, 2001.

1. DrJ

DrJ 25+ Posts

I don't know if this has been posted previously on this site, but here is a link to a photo history of SWC football helmets by school.

Definitely some nostalgia in some of these older helmet designs:
    The Link

2. HOOKEM IN YUKON

HOOKEM IN YUKON < 25 Posts

NICE SITE.NICE TO THINK ABOUT THE OLD SWC DAYS

3. PhantomHorn

PhantomHorn 1,000+ Posts

Man, those jerseys from the early McWilliams era were butt ugly. Another reason why the late 80s really sucked to be a Hornfan.

1987 7-5
    1988 4-7
    1989 5-6

"As government expands, liberty contracts.” - Ronald Reagan

4. DrJ

DrJ 25+ Posts

I seem to remember the bigger Longhorn silhouette on the helmet in the 1978 season - the year Texas whipped Maryland in the Sun Bowl. However, this site says the current Texas helmet has remained unchanged since Fred Akers' first year in 1977.

Anyone else recall the bigger silhouette in 1978 or am I dreaming?

5. ENlightened

ENlightened Guest

I don't recall any changes to the classic look since '77, except for the Cotton Bowl Classic logo put between the horns for the '82 CB vs. Alabama, plus the occasional individual variation (RW).

Which reminds me of a trivia question. Disregarding teams that haven't used helmet logos (i.e., the Penn States and Alabamas of the world; even Notre Dame for a time had green shamrocks on its golden domes) and Michigan (which simply carried over the trim from its leather helmets; that insignia, while easily identifiable, has nothing to do with Wolverines), which is the only school to have utilized the same basic helmet logo longer than Texas, which introduced the steer head in 1961?

(Small hint: Texas has played this team within the past 20 years, and it's not in the Big 12).

————

6. Osler

Osler < 25 Posts

Tennessee? (a bit of a guess, but I know they have had the current logo from the mid 60s)

"The greater the ignorance the greater the dogmatism." -Sir William Osler

7. Osler

Osler < 25 Posts

I just realized how badly my math skills are slipping.We last played Tenn. in 1968 so I suppose I withdraw my guess.

8. DrJ

DrJ 25+ Posts

Very good question, ENlightened.

Let's see....Miami?, Air Force?, North Carolina?, Iowa?....I'll guess Iowa.

Edited by DrJ on 8/5/01 01:25 PM.

9. DrJ

DrJ 25+ Posts

All right, I just pulled out my tape of Texas vs. Maryland in the 1978 Sun Bowl. The longhorn silhouette on the helmet is definitely bigger than today's silhouette.

When Russell Erxleben walks to the sideline, the straight-on view of his helmet shows the horns curling around toward the front. The horns cannot be seen from this vantage point nearly as plainly today.

10. Classic Rock

Classic Rock < 25 Posts

Auburn.

-----------

"I don't know why they call this stuff 'Hamburger Helper', it does just fine by it's self, huh?"

11. ENlightened

ENlightened Guest

I will say only that the correct answer has been mentioned, but not guessed ... if that makes any sense. But Tennessee, Iowa and Auburn ... *sound of game-show buzzer indicating wrong answer*

————

12. jgar

jgar < 25 Posts

Miami?

13. Osler

Osler < 25 Posts

My 13 year old son has begged me to say that it is Georgia.Come on Enlightened, this is killing me!

14. Jalbert

Jalbert < 25 Posts

Air Force?

I know UNC not to long ago had U N C staggerd diagonally down the sides of the their helmet not to long ago. so that eliminates them.

15. DrJ

DrJ 25+ Posts

Don't plant a trivia question and leave it unanswered, EN!

My (next) guess is Miami.

16. TornJock

TornJock 100+ Posts

UCLA

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

17. DrJ

DrJ 25+ Posts

ENlightened....oh, ENlightened......

Do we need to contact SL Xpress to corral the posse to string you up again? What is the answer to your trivia question?

18. ENlightened

ENlightened Guest

SORRY. Geez ... Jalbert is correct. Air Force has had some form of that lightning bolt on its helmets since the late '50s. I've looked over a lot of old photos, and that's the only one that appears to pre-date the Longhorn.

19. AlfondalUrlaydee

AlfondalUrlaydee 25+ Posts