Swiping neighbors' brush trimmings for smoker

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by A. BETTIK, Aug 8, 2011.

1. A. BETTIK

A. BETTIK 1,000+ Posts

Man, the past several weeks were really really tough for me while everyone was cutting branches and stacking them on the curb side for the once or twice a year curb side pickup.

I kept seeing beautiful oak logs and branches while walking with my family in the evening.

Is it socially acceptable to covet and then swipe my neighbors' discarded oak for my smoking? I reckon I could easily swipe $100 worth of wood.

Secondly, once I have a sufficient store, should I then hold back and let others get some for their smoking or can I then start stocking up for the fire place?

2. South Austin

South Austin 2,500+ Posts

3. Son of a Son

Son of a Son 1,000+ Posts

I think it is just fineto take the wood. Trash is usually considered "public domain" I think.

One problem, do NOT smoke with this wood for smoking for at least 6 months. You'll find that freshly cut oak adds an off flavor to the meat. You want to season it for at least six months.

4. msdw24

msdw24 1,000+ Posts

Yeah if it's on the curb, I'd consider it fair game. Going into their backyard or cutting down your neighbors tree, not so much.

5. pulque

pulque 1,000+ Posts

Was that you?

6. TXSNOS

TXSNOS 1,000+ Posts

If you have live oaks on your property I would think twice about bringing oak logs home due to the possibility of spreading oak wilt.

Also, ethically speaking the person who put the trimmings by the curb may have done so believing they would be mulched for use in landscaping and not burned for cooking.

The best thing to do would be to ask if you could take them.