Talk to me about buying a bicycle

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by KingBobo81, Jun 8, 2008.

1. KingBobo81

KingBobo81 250+ Posts

I'm probably moving closer to my office in a month or two and am considering buying a bicycle to keep the car off the road as much as I can.

My office would be about a mile, mile-and-a-half away, same thing with places like my gym.

I wouldn't ever be riding it much further than that...anybody have any suggestions?

2. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

I would suggest getting two bikes and have them at the ready at any time. That way you are covered in the event of a late discovered flat and no tube at home. You can get some great deals in Austin or any other city known as a bike town on Craigslist. Just be wary of what to look for.

I would suggest an urban commuter which is a bit more than a simple hybrid and is more of a road bike than a mtn. bike. How much trail riding do you think you will do and how much do you think you will really do?

What is your budget? If you do buy new, I suggest you buy from a locally owned shop if you have that option.

3. KingBobo81

KingBobo81 250+ Posts

As far as trail riding, I don't really think or plan on doing any (as you can probably tell, I am not a huge biker - I can't even remember the last time I got on one actually). If I do get a bike, it is going to just be for getting from point A to point B. Further than that - I will douche it up in my Acura.

As far as budget, I haven't really gone about pricing stuff yet - I guess just looking for something economical. I'll check out craigslist - thanks for the help.

4. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

There are some avid cyclists on here like MilkmanDan, Texzen and others who will be able to cough out exact brands and models if you give a price point.

What I suggest is cut it in half and get two used bikes in good shape and tweak them out differently. One more for rainy days or going to the grocery store (rack on back for panniers so you can carry stuff, etc...) and another for lighter ventures.

You can run slick tires on them or on one have hybrid type tires that you can take on the Town Lake trail if you want to. Still slick to cut back on friction and give you more go for the pedal push.

Why don't you link to the ones you think you want or are interested in and let people critique it. For all you know somebody here is looking to upgrade their bike.

How tall are you, what is your inseam? That helps with proper size. Ha, buying a bike has become very technical and complicated somewhere along the way.

5. Stuck_At_Work

Stuck_At_Work 1,000+ Posts

Do you have any names in mind... you know... for these bikes?

6. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

I think that is what we are gonna be for once he gives more details. Like I said, sadly it is not as simple as it used to be to buy a bike if you want it done right. But we've got your back on this, just meet us halfway! [​IMG]

7. BigWill

BigWill 2,500+ Posts

for hauling home beer this will come in handy

[​IMG]

8. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

On overstock.com you can get a matching bell to go with it at no additional cost. So I hear. Also, if you sell enough GRIT subscriptions, you get it free.

9. KingBobo81

KingBobo81 250+ Posts

I'll bump this up to the top in a couple months when I actually am going to buy. I didn't realize things were so complex these days.

10. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Ha. It's not that complex, just something you should do right as you benefit the most from it. If you can, buy now since some bikes are going cheap as some students graduated or move off campus.

Another thing to consider is contacting UTPD. They have a big auction, at Pickle Research, I think. All the bikes left behind, confiscated or not claimed go up on auction and sold as is. You can get an amazing deal on a quick fixer upper.

11. badexcuse

badexcuse 1,000+ Posts

12. Truman Sparks

Truman Sparks < 25 Posts

One brand to look at is Cannondale.

I just recently bought a Cannondale hybrid road bike, but I'm using it for weekend and evening distance rides to get into better shape since my knees won't let me run anymore. They do make some nice cruisers for shorter riding, city commuting, and the like. They are built more towards comfort than the model I got - a more upright riding posture, a more cushiony seat, etc.

There are other brands out there, but don't overlook this one.

Cannondale Comfort4

13. zzzz

zzzz 2,500+ Posts

You can do a mile and half easy on practically any bike. I have a hybrid that's about 8 years old that I use for riding around the urban core of Dallas.

The tires have a knobby tread and are a bit thick. Sometimes I wish I had the thinner, slicker tires simply for ease of effort. But you have to balance that against the need for tires that can stand up to road hazards and the occasional need to jump on and off a curb.

You should definitely get a bike rack that goes above the rear wheel. In addition to panniers you can attach other types of storage to it. I have also found a handlebar bag to be useful.

Visibility is key when you are sharing the road with automobiles. Wear bright clothes and invest in a good headlight and taillight in case you find yourself away from home at night. There are new systems that use LEDs and rechargeable batteries that throw out a lot of light -- I have actually spent more on the lights than I did on the bike because I like to ride at night. I figure if they prevent one car from hitting me they are worth the investment.

Don't forget to buy a helmet and a bicycle pump. You'll also want to buy a pair of gloves. They add to the comfort of riding and if you ever go over the handlebars with your arms outstretched you'll be glad you have them. I use a pair of half-finger weightlifting gloves that have a mesh upper.

Read this to learn how to more safely coexist with cars:The Link

This is a good source for reviews of any equipment you might be considering:The Link