TCU vs Texas game thread

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by militaryhorn, Sep 22, 2018.

1. LousianaHorn

LousianaHorn Kabong

Well, Well..........what a difference 2 weeks make..............team is making the big plays on both sides of the ball. Lots of work still be done but if we can go to Manhattan next week and get a W vs. the Purple Wizard and his gang it sure makes that game Oct 6 vs the Dirt Burglars very interesting!

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

For the record...Zero-U got taken to overtime by Army....ARMY!

Let that sink in for a moment...

• Like Like x 6
  3. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

But they're so good, and the win fixed the glitch.

• Like Like x 1
  4. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

True, but every play does not have the same odds of success versus other options, in the immediate circumstance and against the immediate opponent, with the Xs you have versus the Os they have.

If it's as simple as "any play executed properly can be a success", then just have one play and practice it to perfection. Result: Touchdown! every time you run it. If you execute it to perfection.

Also, every defensive play, if executed to perfection, will stop every offensive play successfully. So, just have one defensive alignment and one defensive play and practice it to perfection.

Problem solved.

I should coach. lol

• Like Like x 1
  5. OrangeShogun

OrangeShogun 500+ Posts

Touchdown is the highest measure of success for a single play or possession, but not the only measure. A play gaining one yard can be considered successful, i.e. gaining one yard on 4th and 1. As stated previously, had the called play been executed properly, it would not have resulted in a TD, but would have been successful.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

7. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

Random thoughts on game:
    Great team win
    Punter getting better and needs to
    My wife said Dicker the Kicker needed a Chiropractic adjustment...he was leaning left all night
    Ingram is clearly the best back and is being vastly underutilized
    Still not getting enough consistent pressure in backfield
    I would say DBU is back but we are DBU anyway, so...
    A few real questionable no calls worked against us
    Playcalling got too conservative during one stretch
    I think Hagers hair has slowed him down
    Sam still making better decisions protecting ball
    Team/program looks better than I've seen since 2012/13, but still plenty of room for improvement
    Fun day....let's celebrate where we are. It's a good ride!
    We looked like the more talented (maybe even prepared?) team right from start and that doesn't fit the recent narratives
    Pretty sure there are waaay more than 5 guys on our team Patterson would have gladly started in purple last night :)
    :bevo::hookem:

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Ingram came into the game dinged up and got dinged up even more. His utilization is a function of his health, not of reluctance on the part of the coaches.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 7
  10. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Agree with everything but the best back. Our best RB is playing WR.
    Ingram no doubt is real good, but his weakness is short yardage. He's elusive, but not powerful. Watson is amazingly powerful for his size and is getting those 2-3 yards out of nothing Warren did last year.

11. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

No doubt the belly rub will get old at some point
    But it's still fun as of this morning

• Like Like x 2
  12. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Our strength coach been workin

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  13. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

This affects what the defense does. A healthy Ingram definitely takes pressure off pass protection and increases YPC.
    I'm hopeful we pull a couple of elite RBs in the next two years that creates depth. Makes all the difference imo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

When is Texas ever going to have a 1000 yard rusher again?
    I'd like to have Ingram healthy as I think he is very good, but even if he was healthy and got the majority of the carries, I don't see him as a 1000 yard back. Honestly he doesn't seem durable enough to take more than 12 carries a game.

For now I like the veteran leadership Watson is showing, he seems like a perfect fit for the offense, using Ingram as a 2nd option for now seems like the best option as it limits his carries and keeps him more likely to stay healthy.

15. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

When you have a true freshman come in and get dinged a couple of times in his first four games, I think that's easy to say.
    It might be true, but we won't know for a while.

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

For my money Ingram looks like an elite back, who has the ability to make something out of nothing along the lines of Jamal Charles. Now I’m not saying that he is the second coming. But I’m not saying that he isn’t either. I will say that from what I have seen so far, we haven’t had a back like him in a decade. (That’s not a knock on Foreman. Different styles.)

I think he will easily be a 1,000 yard rusher once he’s healthy.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Will we ever see Kirk Johnson again? :confused2:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • poop poop x 2
  18. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Good question, Dion. I'd hope we will give him some carries against some scrub team like aggy.

Oh wait, we don't play them any more. Other people get to beat the crap out of them with their reserves. My bad.

• Like Like x 3
  19. RainH2burntO

On another note, check this out:
    Since 2011, Tom Herman’s teams (Iowa State OC, Ohio State OC, coach at Houston & Texas) have been an underdog 23 times. With today’s win vs. TCU, Herman’s teams have covered 22 of 23 as a dog
    Coming in, some of us discussed TH being a big game coach and sometimes overlooking mediocre teams (or rather his teams reflecting that on the field). This stat puts a little different spin on those concerns...and puts his and his teams' ability to rise to occasions when expectations are low in the spotlight. May explain some of the losses (Maryland, Texas tech, closer games against inferior teams) and give us clarity on the teams ability to perform well against Oklahoma, USC, TCU, OSU, etc). This is one reason I didn't freak out over Maryland. Some of us had already discussed this at length when he was hired.
    Now that he's gotten a couple of good wins under the belt, I am hoping to see a statement in Manhattan and beat downs of Baylor, Tech, Kansas, and ISU (And any future Maryland wannabes).

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  20. RainH2burntO

And on KI#26...
    I believe (barring further or extended injury) any underestimation of Ingram will prove folly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

That doesn't mean he won all those games, just that he covered the spread. All I care about is wins and don't care if the betting public wins or loses money. We lost six last year but I have no idea how many of those we were favored or dogs in.

Is there also a stat that shows his record of actual wins and losses as a favorite? It's fun to make generalizations about his ability as a favorite, but real numbers are what matters to me.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  22. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

I know he lost 3 games his last year at Houston as a favorite. That **** needs to get cleaned up. You can't make the playoffs with more than 1 loss coming out of the big 12. OU may have laid a dud yesterday, but they won. If they continue to win out, it won't matter.

23. Denmark

Denmark 500+ Posts

Easier to be less defensive when you win!

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. RainH2burntO

I do hope you are right on that last part.

25. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

Agree!
    Ingram will be a very good back. Too early to compare him to Jamaal Charles. He has alot of moves and great vision. He does not have Jamaal’s speed though. I think he has field awareness and can bounce off tackles. He should be a 1,000 Yd back soon. Not this year..... would be great if it happened though.

• Like Like x 2
  26. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

Let’s see, backs in college or NFL as fast as Jamaal Charles in the past 20 years or so ... I’m thinking ... okay, Chris Johnson... ok I’m still thinking ...

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

I’ve heard him compared to Jamaal Charles and he runs a 4.5 or so. Thus, I mentioned he’s not as fast. Did’nt Jamaal run in the 4.2’s? But I don’t think you have to be a burner to be a very good or great running back. We’ll see what happens. He may be injury prone :idk:

28. 4th_floor

4th_floor Dude, where's my laptop?

I've been working on my Horn Span to no avail. But my weight is coming up nicely.

• Like Like x 4
  29. RainH2burntO

All muscle, right?

• Like Like x 1
  30. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

I wasn’t criticizing; just making conversation. It just struck me that running backs who did not have the speed of Jamaal was a very large group.

I think Keontay looks really good. The best on campus. A future star, I think. There’s been an investment in Danny Young, and they probably had to have promised Trey Watson meaningful time to get him to come here (oh, and he’s pretty darn good, too). Keontay only coming in right before the season would probably make the coaches a little more cautious as far as giving him the ball in crucial situations. He may not even know the playbook all that well. So, if he’s saying he’s even the slightest nicked up, they aren’t going to push it. That is, maybe he’s not all that hurt.

Keontay is coming off back to back 2000 yard rushing seasons and an undefeated state championship, so he has all the credentials.