Tea Partiers Sneakin' In @Precinct Chair Level

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by orangeblack&gold, Feb 18, 2010.

1. orangeblack&gold

orangeblack&gold 500+ Posts

2. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

well, this is the plan of thios movement. take over seats at the local level and move up. not only do democrats face challenges in elections coming up big big spending republicans do as well in their primaries.

3. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

This group is only "effective" on the outside. What if they do get in power? They would actually have to do something. They cannot just do nothing, or be against every issue if they are in power.
    At that point, I would form the Accurate Anti-Teaparty Movement, and be against everything they spend a dime on.
    It's so easy to sit on the sidelines and say you are against every policy, but very hard to make difficult decisions from a position of power.

4. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

They would actually have to do something.

What do they have to do? I dont know why our legislators dont just meet once a year to pass a budget for required services and thats it. We have enough laws. All they do is meet for the purposes of finding new ways to spend more money without any oversight or consequences. Every tax that was ever created for a specific purpose has been raided and stolen from to pay for something else. They cant do any worse.

5. notreally

notreally 1,000+ Posts

i'm not a big tea party fan obviously, but really for only a couple somewhat flimsy reasons.

1. sarah palin as a spokesperson, intentionally or not.
    2. some of the outlandish signs, banners, and comments of some of the followers.
    3. foxnews apparent alignment with them.

however, i'm not so sure they might not bring something useful to government. i think a true democracy would have more than two parties, so i welcome them aboard. it would certainly be nice to have some ultraliberal folks to balance the act, but that is up to them (libertarians, green party, etc.) to get their candidate elected.

6. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

7. NEWDOC2002

NEWDOC2002 1,000+ Posts

8. hornyhoosier

hornyhoosier 500+ Posts

I have always thought that big government works much better at the local level than at the federal. It's much easier for taxpayers to hold the elected officials accountable and to see the results of spending programs.

In my perfect world, the federal government would only exist to do the things that states and local municipalities can't do reasonable, such as run a military. But, I like nice parks, libraries and good schools so I'm ok with higher taxes at the local level. I always thought that this view would allow people to locate themselves in a place consistent with their views.

9. IRC

IRC 1,000+ Posts

10. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

11. Horn_Winger

Horn_Winger 250+ Posts

12. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

Another vote for Local Government.

13. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

14. BrntOrngStmpeDe

BrntOrngStmpeDe 1,000+ Posts

Just looked up the Tea Party Mission Statement and Core Values from here
    TP Link
    So I could go along with that but can it be just that, does the TP movement have to adopt all the other right wing stuff as well? I mean can we have a party that doesn't have to get bogged down in absolutes on stem cell, abortion and what not. Although, I have to say the free market thing is a little to vague for my taste. I for one think free market is a substantial piece of why we are in the mess we are in today.

15. Oilfield

Oilfield Guest

Yeah the free market had a lot to due with the toxic loans debacle. That disaster was government-created.