team GPA

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by ShAArk92, Jun 4, 2019.

1. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  2. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

Have to admit that I am surprised a 2.89 is the high-water mark.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

yeah. Two ways to analyze that ...

1) it's no secret MOST football players didn't gain entrance to UT because they were valedictorian of the HS class

2) ... since MOST football players have a designated tutor(s) ... who do MOST of the players' work ... it would seem then that UT Athletics needs to raise their pay/standards for tutors.

personally ... this is almost exactly my graduating (UT) GPA ... and I was on the dean's list 3 of my last 4 semesters! :eek:

4. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

Given how many advantages football athletes have (dedicated tutoring and academic counseling) the lack of academic performance by the average football player compared with the student body is unfortunate. I'm sure Texas is not unique among its peers and could be better than many. Still, they should have stopped with "highest ever" and left the actual GPA private like every other school.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

given all the harassment about heralding 2.89 ... I'd like to know how that rates relative to similar programs.

Bama
    oWho
    tOSU
    USC

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Bama and o who are glorified HS educations. Probably average 3.5’s. tOSU and USC are good schools, but I have no idea about their team average.

7. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

The nationwide list is published every year. Rice & ND are always near the top.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

I am demonstrating my lacking online skill, @SabreHorn ... gotta link?

Thanks.

9. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

Yes ... but they are successful on the gridiron. That's my first gate of comparison.

Just as there's no sense in comparing to Rice in spite of their 3.5+ GPA in quantum physics majors ... cause they're not really a football powerhouse.

10. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Good points!

• Like Like x 1