Technology Thread

Discussion in 'Cactus Cafe' started by Dionysus, Jan 11, 2020.

1. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Let’s talk tech. Any cool new tech you are using now, or considering?

Tech issues/questions? That’s my gig — ask and I’ll help if I can.

I’ll start with a few things that I use and like.

1Password
    1password.com
    This is easily one of my most-used and most valuable apps on my computer and iPhone. I have many logins and passwords (who doesn’t?) and this app keeps them all handy in a secure encrypted database. It also has templates for credit card info, drivers license data, secure notes, software licenses, and documents. The mobile app keeps things synced with the desktop version. There are other apps like 1Password but this is the one I have been using since 2012 and it is really good.

Evernote
    evernote.com
    Another app that syncs between your computer and phone, Evernote is great for storing text notes, images, PDF docs, scanned files, stuff you want to grab from a web page, etc. You can create separate notebooks in the app to easily organize things and also apply tags to notes for quick recall. It’s like a big bucket where you store any info for later and quickly find it.

Asana
    asana.com
    Asana is a project/task management site. I have used it to collaborate with others on projects, where everyone can add tasks and notes, update status, etc. It’s free for individuals and small teams too, I think.

Notion
    notion.so
    I’ve been evaluating Notion for a few days now and it’s really interesting. It’s kind of like Evernote along with a few other things it can do. Basically a productivity app and information manager: knowledge base, wiki, project/task manager, workflow, calendar, meeting notes, spreadsheet/database thing, many templates for various uses — it does a lot so I’m testing it out to see if it can replace a few other things I use. There’s a free option for limited personal use if you want to try it out. The paid option tier is free for students or anyone with a school (.edu) email address.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Definitely going to use #1
    Thanks
    better than a legal pad full

question
    some sites are hinky requiring me to change passwords , how easy is it to update?

3. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

If you have a site password stored in 1Password, when you change it the app will ask if you want to update the saved password with the new one.

One thing about 1Password is to spend a little time getting familiar with it. The learning curve is not real steep but it pays to take some time to learn it. Also, after you install the app, let it install the browser extension for you so that it can recognize what website you are on and offer the password for it.

The browser extension looks like this:

1p.png

4. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

5. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Thanks
    I am always wary of downloading sites.
    But I for sure need this and you made it easy

question
    I am a volunteer for CASA and they use Optima for record of kiddo visits.
    Everytime I go there I have to get a new password.
    CASA told me it was because I use Windows 10?? made no sense to me
    then they told me to use Chrome . I do not want to use Chrome
    So when I want to update my info on optima I have to use my tablet instead of laptop.
    thoughts?

6. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

@Horn6721 I’m not familiar with Optima but the Chrome requirement may be something that Optima is doing, maybe they don’t want it to work with other browsers. Could be that they want you to let Chrome save your password?

I don’t know why you would have to set a new password every time though. That doesn’t make any sense - why not just use the same password every time you log in? If you can find out more about that I’d be happy to help if I can.

7. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Dion
    I will try to find out more. I appreciate any help.
    thanks

8. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Something else I like and have been using for a few years.

Synology NAS (Network Attached Storage)
    www.synology.com

The Synology NAS line is basically a file server that connects to your local home or office network, but it does a lot more. They have a nice line of options, from very simple models for home or small business to more powerful devices for larger organizations. Pricing is very reasonable for what it does.

In addition to file storage/management:
    • Works with Windows, Mac, and Linux
    • Built-in VPN and FTP servers for secure remote access
    • Remote web-based access via QuickConnect (access your files from anywhere)
    • Mobile apps for iOS and Android
    • Surveillance Station to manage and monitor cameras
    • 4K multimedia server
    • 256-bit encryption for your hard drives
    • 2-Factor Authentication option for security
    • Back up your Mac or PC to it
    • Great web-based management interface (DiskStation Manager)
    • CloudSync (sync your Dropbox, Google Drive, Microsoft OneDrive, etc to it)

I have the 2-bay DS218+ model in my home. It has two 4TB hard drives (you can install any size drives in it), one of which is for redundancy in case the primary drive fails.

Click an image to zoom in

syno1.jpg syno2.jpg syno3.jpg syno4.jpg

9. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

I mentioned Notion (notion.so) in the original post. I have recently been setting up an intranet/portal for my wife’s small company with Notion, and this thing is amazing. Super easy to use and so many things you can do with it.

It’s ideal for a small or medium size company that needs a central place for a team to come together to collaborate, or just to post company-related documents, policies, manuals (great for HR), event calendars, project and task management, wiki/knowledge base, meeting notes, etc. You can easily embed pictures, videos, Google maps, PDFs and it is all immediately published for the team to access.

We just pay for two Team members (total $10/mo) and invite the employees in as guests, which are free to add. You can also add a dedicated workspace for clients or business partners. Really impressed with Notion.