Tenn won't release Brown

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by BurntOrangeOnly, Jul 31, 2010.

1. BurntOrangeOnly

BurntOrangeOnly 500+ Posts

Bryce Brown wants to go to KSU but Dooley won't release him.

2. Alex_de_Large

Alex_de_Large 1,000+ Posts

You gotta ask nicely.

3. AstroVol

AstroVol 500+ Posts

Brown has only asked for a release via text message, and through his dad. Not exactly the adult way of handling things.

Brown did not participate in spring practice, off season workouts, nothing since Kiffin left. Dooley asked him to give it a shot, and Brown wouldn't, so no release. He has been fair and consistent with the 5 players he has lost. 2 he granted releases, 2 he did not (they didn't participate after Kiffin left), and 1 a conditional release. I empathize with Dooley as a new coach that he has to keep as many players on the roster he inherited as possible. Dooley has repeated said that if a kid gives him a shot, and just doesn't like it, he will grant a release.

4. Psychopharmahorn

Psychopharmahorn 250+ Posts

5. BurntOrangeOnly

Thanks AstroVol. I agree that Bryce could have been more mature in handling the situation and appreciate the difficult situation Dooley's in. I assume that the two scholarships he has not released don't count toward the 85 limit but I don't know.

OTOH, it still seems strange to mess with a kid's opportunities when it's clear he's not interested in being part of your program or even your conference due to procedural disagreements.

Good luck to both UTs this fall.

6. kbrown

kbrown 1,000+ Posts

Wasn't there a center that was at Tennessee back several years ago that was perhaps interested in transfering to Texas and the coach wouldn't grant a release? I think Fulmer was coach at the time. I forget the centers name but I believe he was a Texas high school product.

7. gdu

gdu 1,000+ Posts

I'm fine with it. If BB would'e manned up, he wouldn't be having this problem. At some point he had to learn that it really isn't all about him.

8. Denmark

Denmark 500+ Posts

These kids sign letters of intent to play for the coaches that recruit them, so they should be released if that coach leaves, period.

9. JohnnyM

JohnnyM 2,500+ Posts

10. BurntOrangeOnly

It sounds like he's tried and has been rebuffed (from the link):

11. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

12. kbrown

kbrown 1,000+ Posts

13. Psychopharmahorn

Psychopharmahorn 250+ Posts

Yes, thanks for that Greg Barnum answer and link. I couldn't remember his last name or the year and it was really bothering me. I remember it being a big deal to a lot of us message board junkies because we had really glaring weaknesses around that time when it came to our centers performing the reach blocks required of Greg Davis and Tim Nunez's schemes. Man, I wanted to see Barnum come to the rescue!