texadelphia's mustard blend

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by Fat_Bastard, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Fat_Bastard

Fat_Bastard 25+ Posts

i was hoping someone here would know the recipe (i.e., used to work there, or knows someone that worked there). i'm not even w/in a few thousand miles of a texadelphia and i'm jonesing for their sauce.

please help.

2. MaximumBarnes

MaximumBarnes 100+ Posts

Oh boy. I don't think anyone on this board is willing to share that information.

3. foxyhorn

foxyhorn 100+ Posts

I've heard unconfirmed rumors that it is mustard mixed with thousand island dressing.

4. Fanny McLonghorn

Fanny McLonghorn 100+ Posts

I heard it was 1 part mayonnaise, 1 part whole grain mustard, and a dash of soy sauce. I've used this before, and it makes a badass condiment. But I can't confirm the accuracy of the recipe as I have only eaten at Texadelphia a couple of times.

5. threesheets

threesheets 250+ Posts

Gulden's Spicy Brown Mustard
    Kikkoman Teriyaki Sauce
    mayo

6. Fat_Bastard

Fat_Bastard 25+ Posts

appreciate the responses so far, but are the above ingredients the actual ones texadelphia uses, or are they your interpretations of the sauce? i'll try anything at this point, but i really want the real mccoy.

plus, the actual measurements would really help too.

thanks again

7. stockjock

stockjock 250+ Posts

Found this. Not sure how authentic it is.

8. Traffic

Traffic 500+ Posts

I think one of the u_texas, phill helmuth, texanbychoice crowd used to work there.

They probably make EE's sign an NDA.

9. threesheets

threesheets 250+ Posts

FB-

If I had to guess I'd say 2 parts mayo, 1 part mustard, 1 part teriyaki.

10. utexas_61

utexas_61 500+ Posts

threesheets is pretty close, but i remember there being alittle less teriaki

11. threesheets

threesheets 250+ Posts

You're right. Now that I think about it, that would be a little on the sweet side. I'd just mix the mayo and mustard together, then add the teriyaki little by little 'til it was right.

12. Macanudo

Macanudo 2,500+ Posts

I think honey teriyaki works better.

Try this:

1 cup mayo
    1/2 cup spicy mustard (Gulden's works best)
    1-2 tbsp honey teriyaki

13. Mack Tripper

Mack Tripper 500+ Posts

Holy ****....Fat Bastard is back? I haven't seen him post since around the time the Escapes in Houston were closed down.

Back to the topic at hand, I've fairly recently acquired the skill of tasting a dish and guessing its components pretty closely. I haven't had the mustard blend in several years, so I will have to taste it again, but I think Macanudo is right about the honey. There is definitely some kind of sweetener in there. I'll have to taste some and try to replicate it.

14. alxhorns

alxhorns 100+ Posts

i remember living with utexas when he sent it to mac.........he acted like he committed a crime or something

15. DRAG69

DRAG69 1,000+ Posts

I have never understood the fascination of Texadelphia....

I thought it was lame.
    I ordered a Philly cheesesteak and they charged me extra for the onions, peppers and mushrooms.....
    What's up with that ?
    You cannot have a Philly without them.

If you live in Northwest Austin, Cedar Park/Leander or now Round Rock you should try a Saccone's Philly Cheesesteak.
    The best sandwhich I have ever eaten. It is about 18" long, full of Boar's Head beef and cheese and a great mixture of olive oil, garlic, onions, bell peppers and mushrooms.
    It weighs about 2 pounds and it only costs 6.50, extras included.

It makes Texadelphia look like a McDonald's kids meal.

Oh and they have some of the best Jersey style pizza in the country. Give it a try sometime if you are in those areas.

And no I do not work for them.
    I am just a loyal customer and their original restaurant is only 5 minutes from my house in Cedar Park.

16. threesheets

threesheets 250+ Posts

17. DRAG69

DRAG69 1,000+ Posts

18. threesheets

threesheets 250+ Posts

I've had one with cheese whiz- not great.

19. Fat_Bastard

Fat_Bastard 25+ Posts

my brother went to school in philly for 4 years, and he said the standard cheese they put on there is cheez wiz. i thought it was nasty, and much prefer provolone

p.s., the responses have been great so far. thanks guys!

20. Mack Tripper

Mack Tripper 500+ Posts

I thought in Philly, "wid" or "wid out" referred to cheese wiz.

21. Ankf00

Ankf00 250+ Posts

you can get a whiz wit, or a cheese wit, or witout. whiz isn't standard.

22. DLev

DLev 250+ Posts

23. badexcuse

badexcuse 1,000+ Posts

That's ok, Drag. I never understood a cheeseburger without jalepeno's.