Texans playoff chances

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by NJlonghorn, Dec 20, 2016.

1. NJlonghorn

NJlonghorn 2,500+ Posts

Assuming no ties.....

If the Titans lose their game Saturday, the Texans can clinch the division with a win over the Bengals this week OR a win over the Titans next week. Nothing else matters.

If the Dolphins and Titans both win their games Saturday, the Texans/Bengals game later in the day is irrelevant. Houston and Tennessee play in week 17 for the South Division title, and neither team can win a wildcard.

If the Titans win but the Dolphins lose, the Texans stay alive for a wildcard, albeit barely. They win the division by winning next week against Tennessee, OR they clinch a wildcard by beating the Bengals and praying.

2. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

But who plays quarterback?

3. BallsofSteerToo

BallsofSteerToo 100+ Posts

4. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

The worst run organization in the history of the NFL. Any mistakes they haven't made? I have always said that Charlie Disasterly set standards of ineptitude to never be equaled, but this clown is sure trying. They will likely use their first pick to choose a QB that never played because he was injured all four years of college, but had a great junior year at Bend, OR HS.

The only reason i have for allowing the KKK into the playoffs is to show the NFL how diluted their product has become. It is approaching unwatchable.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Watching Oakland, I was reminded that Houston could have ended up with Derek Carr and Kahlil Mack instead.

Good thing for them the NFL is split into 8 divisions of 4 teams each.

6. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

Talk about lucky breaks. Not only do the Texans win an awful division with one barely winning team (8-7 Titans)...

They'll likely get a playoff gift hosting the Matt McGloin led Raiders in first round.

If KC beats SD and Oak loses to Denv, KC wins West and boots Oak to 5 seed.

• Like Like x 1
  7. LousianaHorn

LousianaHorn Kabong

Fear Dak, Zeke and the 'Boys!

• Like Like x 2
  8. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

9. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Fun Fact: Since the 1996-97 NFL season, the Texans and Cowboys have the same number of playoff wins (3). The Texans did not start playing football until the 2002-2003 season. If you start in 2002, the Texans have more playoff wins.

• Like Like x 1
  10. LousianaHorn

LousianaHorn Kabong

heres another fun fact.................if you count all time here is the list

[​IMG]

I'm sure I will get the "thats all old history" argument........its funny but it always seems that history is meaningless only to fans of teams that have none!

11. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

I am not here to argue, I just thought it was a fun fact!

12. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

GO PATS!!

13. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Slim to none and slim is starting his car.

14. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Viper,

I never knew were such a Houston apologist, or did you help put up the $70 million for a third string QB, who had had only one 300+ yards passing game in his career?
    :bow:

15. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

16. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Joe,

How could anyone hate such an overwhelming display of mental midgetry?

17. Hoop

Hoop 500+ Posts

You know, the Texans are a funny team. I don't have illusions of them going any further this year than they have, but they have an interesting opportunity. Their defense has been good enough to keep them in games all year. They are like a poor man's Denver Broncos (good defense and an ok offense). If QB x does enough to manage a game and plays mistake free, they could do well, but 27 points is their high water mark this year. That said, only one team scored more than 27 point on them all year.

I don't think they'll beat the Pats, but if the offense comes alive, they would be a dangerous team. I think looking back at the season, the chances of that happening would be like catching lightning in a bottle. I guess that's why they play the games.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

On the other hand, they lost to this same team 27-0 when they had JJ Watt and New England didn't have Tom Brady.

19. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

I hate retroactive announcements that forward progress was stopped before the fumble. The whistle didn't blow. If the runner had broken free right then, they'd have let it stand.

20. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Apparently the Texans are better without Watt and the Patriots were better without Brady ;) #DoubleHotTake

21. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Houston unforced drop of a pick inside the Patriot red zone (Pats got 7 later that drive), then an unforced drop of a 50 yd TD pass that was thrown perfectly. They should be winning.

22. Galvestonhorn

Galvestonhorn 250+ Posts

Good coaches win and great coaches cover.

23. Hoop

Hoop 500+ Posts

The Texans had the Pats confused and frustrated for a lot of that game, but they didn't play mistake free and you could tell the wind was out of their sails during the 4th quarter. If the Texans had a QB, they'd be great. Unfortunately, they have never had consistency at that position.

24. Hoop

Hoop 500+ Posts

Not dropping passes or interceptions would have changed the tone of this game, too, but they lost to the better team.

• Like Like x 1
  25. LousianaHorn

LousianaHorn Kabong

yall can probably get Tony Romo after the season, may cost you a draft choice or 2, better than anything u got now. Who decided this guy was worth 72 mil over 4 years.......thats almost Jerrah Jonesesque in its ineptitude.........thank God Stephen has taken over more and more of the roster management for Dallas.

26. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I would argue they have been very consistent at QB. Consistently poor is still consistent.

• Like Like x 2
  27. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

Is that a Sumlin quote or some other aggy alum? Sounds vaguely like time just running out...

Did the Texans win halftime?

28. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

No one wants romo. He is 36, an injury waiting to happen and, like almost all Jerry QB choices, was never all that great in the first place.

I have to agree that after seeing 20 years of horrible mismanagement, especially at the QB position, it is amazing the Texans would pull a total Jerry move with Osweiler.

• Like Like x 1
  29. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

Which actually allows Romo to make sense...they know he isn't a pick-six machine like some of the prior office holders. They would be crossing their fingers on a hope and a prayer, content to have someone who has a reputation for winning regular season games. Texans know all bets are off in the playoffs, no matter WHO the QB might be...

30. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Huh? I'm not even a Texans fan. It was just my assertion that at that point the Texans were losing primarily because of dumb errors on their own part that the opposition didn't force them into. It would have been one thing had they played really well and just lost because New England is that good, but New England looked uncharacteristically vulnerable and Houston screwed themselves out of taking advantage of that.

A lot of people seem to be saying this is great news for the KC/Pitt winner but I'm not sure. New England is unlikely to play like that twice in a row. I'm unconvinced this is some sign that a 14-2 team with the best coach in league is actually a lot weaker than we thought. There are some signs. Brady had never completed under 50% in a playoff game before last season, and now he's done it in his last two games. He'd also never thrown 2+ picks in consecutive playoff games until these last two. But two games is a small sample size. Plus, if this were a sign of Brady finally get older and starting to lose his edge, why was he hitting guys way downfield so accurately time after time (when that's usually the first thing to go when a guy starts declining due to age)?

The other problem was their secondary. Granted Brady put like 5 deep balls right on the money and sometimes you can't do anything about that, but they had defenders right in position on most of those passes who just didn't have the skill to make a play on the ball or to separate the WR from it. Their DB play was just crappy all night long. The pass rush was good, but not consistent enough to make up for the lack of coverage - seemed like Brady would either be hurried instantly, or else have eons in the pocket, rarely anything in-between.

Actually I think they had one other problem: over-conservative coaching. 4th and 3 from the opposing 40 yard line is not the time to punt when you're the underdog, for example. I guess they were trying to keep it close into the 4th and give the breaks a chance to go their way, but they got the breaks earlier in the game and didn't take advantage, trying to play the field position game instead, and then when it got to the 4th they had nothing left.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017