Texas and the Big 10..could it happen?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by BrutustheBuckeye, Sep 6, 2011.

1. South Austin

South Austin 2,500+ Posts

I preferred the Pac 10 over the Big 10, and not just for road trip destinations. However, I strongly favor either over trying to salvage a ****** and near-death Big XII.

2. jmanh

jmanh 25+ Posts

3. Speedway

Speedway 250+ Posts

Brutus,

The majority of OSU fans may be like you. Unfortunately, the minority that accosted my family and trashed my rental car after the 2005 game in Columbus would prevent me from EVER going back to Columbus. I don’t care what conference TEXAS might join, I will not risk mine or my family's safety in Columbus again no matter what.

4. BrutustheBuckeye

BrutustheBuckeye 25+ Posts

Speedway,

I am so sorry to hear that. I would feel the same way. I hope those D-Bags get what they deserve sometime.

[​IMG]

5. Speedway

Speedway 250+ Posts

shark,

that big hole of morons sounds exactly like Columbus, oh. ***wipe.

6. XOVER

XOVER 500+ Posts

The B1G is in expansion mode if expansion involves either or both of Texas and/or Notre Dame. Reportedly, both will join the B1G together around the 2014 time-frame if the B12 crumbles earlier.

Texas' preference, however, is to resuscitate the B12, if possible. If OU leaves, resuscitation is impossible. Texas' continued slow death in the B12 is all up to the Sooners right now.

Plus, the only sport that would be uncomfortable if Texas joined the B1G would be baseball. That is an important sport to Texas, it's true, but neither the B1G nor the PAC12 fit like a glove.

You simply the take the best overall combination of athletics, finances and academics. To me, that is the B1G.

7. Speedway

Speedway 250+ Posts

Brutus,

I don't wish ill on any of them. Most OSU fans I believe behave as you, reasonable, with character and integrity. Fine representatives of a fine university.

However, the sharks were definitely out in Columbus after the 2005 game.

8. texas_ex2000

texas_ex2000 2,500+ Posts

9. Zona Horn

Zona Horn 500+ Posts

10. utempire

utempire 1,000+ Posts

Every time I think about it the options are numerous but we are having to be reactive thanks to Beebe. ou is most likely gone to the pac-10 where osu will follow. UT should go BIG along with Mizzou and there you have it. If we stay our home conference schedule would be a disaster. I would be fine with the pac-12 as well especially weather wise. If we went BIG and keep the ou game that would be one great schedule. Dodds need someone outside his normal circle to help make the right call on this one. As a fan I and I'm sure the players want to play the best, it's just more exciting as long as you can compete with them.

11. rememberthealamo

rememberthealamo 250+ Posts

travel doesnt make sense for basketball...the advantage is for existing teams in big....they only have to travel depending on division once a year or every other year to austin....while we have to make no less than 10 to sub zero ville in january february and march thanks but no thanks...

12. Das Mook

Das Mook 250+ Posts

Keeping our rivals (OU, Tech and OK State) and joining CO, UT and the Zona schools is very appealing to me, especially adding the schools (and TV sets) in the Pacific time zone.

The winner of the Pac 16 should always have a place in the NC game unless they had 2 losses or there were undefeated SEC / B1G teams.

Texas + California + the other states commands an incredible TV footprint. We wouldn't play any 9:00 PM games just like the Pacific division (or whatever it would be called) wouldn't play any 11:00 AM Central games.

I am a fan of the Pac 16 idea for TV, keeping our current rivals, academics and the ease of travel to all of these locations. Gotta love easily heading to SWA locations.

If we do join the B1G, there won't be many (if at all) conference championship games held in Texas. If we were in the Pac 16 with OU, Tech and OSU, you could argue that a decent amount (20% or so) should be held in Texas.

13. XOVER

XOVER 500+ Posts

Wait a minute Das Mook. You make your points, but I do want to address your Championship Game talk.

Last year, as I recall it, if Texas joined, the discussion was that the playoff game in the PAC would alternate between LA at the Rose Bowl and Tempe at the Fiesta Bowl. As I recall it, the PAC12 deal would not have any State of Texas appearance for the PAC C-game. Am I forgetting something?

So far as I know, nothing has leaked from the B1G with respect to the playoff location were Texas to join.

Either way, I like your point. There needs to be some kind of Texas presence with either conference with respect to the C-game location regardless of the conference Texas were to join.

Given the great venues in Dallas, Houston, and even San Antonio, I should think 1 in 3 or 1 in 4 ought to be fair. I mean, "We Are Texas" and all of that.

BTW, folks, I appreciate this very civil discussion regarding the merits of the PAC12 v. B1G. Texas is a big winner in either conference, and we don't need to get pissy with each other in discussing those merits. Great job.

Now about those midnight football games in the PAC12 ....

14. HornSwoggler

HornSwoggler Horn Fan

I don't see Texas (and our B12 cohorts) having much say in the Pac12/16 CCG. The PAC12 says and seems to be comfortable with what they currently have.
    The B12 is slowly sinking.
    UT, OU, OSU and TT will be fortunate as a group to join a stable conference.
    The other "stable" conferences (SEC & B1G) have shown no interest that we know of to invite this group of teams to join their parties.
    UT is going to spend all of its influence keeping the LHN intact.
    I think it will not be an issue until our 4 teams have been in the PAC# conference for awhile and have built some influence AND Jerry Jones makes an offer that can not be refused.

15. Bob in Houston

Bob in Houston 2,500+ Posts

16. Horn2Run

Horn2Run 1,000+ Posts

Growing up in DFW the 0u game was always the biggest to me, there was no close 2nd (sorry Ags). I would have never thought ditching the 0u game was possible nor desirable.

But the more I think of us going B I G, I'd be ok w/ no 0u game. tOSU, Michigan, Penn State and a likely ND entry would give us nore than enough storied rivalries instantly.....we wouldn't miss 0u after 3-4 years.

IMO, bigger than a loss of the RRR would be how it would affect our baseball program. B I G wouldn't let us go indy for baseball- that w/b a part of the package for that conf, our program representing in Omaha - which sucks ifor us in baseball. Playing in Minneapolis in early April doesn't thrill me

17. Burnt Orange Bevo

Burnt Orange Bevo 1,000+ Posts

18. pk-horn

pk-horn 25+ Posts

Another vote for the Big 10. Wisco, Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan State, Nebraska even Iowa. Those are some great matchups year in year out, we'd have exposure through large population centers in the Midwest and East coast. . It is also academically superior with 11 of 12 schools in the prestigious AAU. This is the absolute best option Ive heard.

19. Longhorn01

Longhorn01 500+ Posts

20. XOVER

XOVER 500+ Posts

I note that according to Chip Brown at Orangebloods the OU Board of Regents are "unanimous" in their desire to withdraw from the B12.

OU, in conjunction with the aggy, may be about to drive realignment forward within the next two weeks.

Texas will consider "all options."

21. TheGallopinGoose

TheGallopinGoose 2,500+ Posts

22. SportsICT

SportsICT 500+ Posts

23. Das Mook

Das Mook 250+ Posts

24. TheGallopinGoose

TheGallopinGoose 2,500+ Posts

Sorry ICT, I miscounted. It is 11 out of 12 in the Big Ten (with Nebraska as a former member and the lone exception).

25. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

It would be good for several reasons-academics, football, basketball, and the Rose Bowl to the winner, all good things.
    But the "olympic" sports pose a big problem. Too much travel, too many missed classes. Then there's the LHN problem, which probably kills the idea to begin with.
    How much fun would it be to see the anguished reaction from Lincoln if we land in Big X territory, though? The entire state might go on suicide watch.

26. TEXnSEATTLE

TEXnSEATTLE 1,000+ Posts

I loved our games with tOSU...the BEST!

Thanks, for the invite...

This all is an interesting set of circumstances going on in all directions needless to say.

I think we are posturing ourselves to be independent. Seems to me the LHN is the HOLY GRAIL to LIFE and Happiness...that is IF you can get a cable company to pick it up...

[​IMG]

As a ORANGE-blooded Texan, I am at a point I don't know what to think or where to hope we end up. All this is crazy. I just hope we end up playing ou every year....that game is like Christmas for me and would hate to think of life without a trip to the FAIR every year...

What does everyone up there think of TEXAS??? (not that some even care...)

27. BrutustheBuckeye

BrutustheBuckeye 25+ Posts

TexnSeattle,

We think very highly of Texas up here. I remember those two games vividly and the Bowl game as well. They were classics. I wish it was an annual non-league match-up every year. Come on in the water is fine. [​IMG]