Texas at Stanford-Monday night

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BabHorn, Nov 12, 2016.

1. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

true, but they are not taking shots away from our main players, who by the way, aren't exactly lighting it up.

2. Slgore76

Slgore76 100+ Posts

Stanford is just too smart. They read the defense and run the appropriate play. Rarely is the wrom person shooting the ball.

3. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

Agree. We don't seem to have an offensive plan. We look lost.

4. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I could see the Stanford player just waiting near the baseline to take the charge against Ariel; she needs to be smarter as we need her on the floor and not on the bench.

5. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

Brooke and Ariel need to pass the ball they're taking too many bad forced shots.

6. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

We really need a big guard to match up with someone like McPhee. Atkins plays too risky of defense.

A matchup zone or perhaps a box and one with the one on McPfee might at least change the look.

• Like Like x 2
  7. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

much better finish to the third quarter except for the last minute. Shooting better but Stanford is also improved and we keep putting them on the FT line. Still haven't stopped McPhee and McCall has joined the party. At least Brooke and Ariel are starting to find the range although Ariel has four fouls.

• Like Like x 1
  8. "Anna hook em"

"Anna hook em" 250+ Posts

Time for us to show that Texas Fight not over until the final whistle

9. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Haven't seen Higgs in a while . . .

10. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

How many times do we let them back door cut us?

11. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

I'll bet they have 25 lay ups.

• Like Like x 1
  12. car54

car54 1,000+ Posts

Overrated...Will not make it to Final Four, and may not make it to Elite 8. You don't lose by 20 to anyone if you are good enough to get that deep in NCAAs....Don't care if its early or not.

13. TempestHorn

TempestHorn 500+ Posts

I haven't seen defense this bad since Gail Gostenkors coached here. I'm really embarrassed for this staff which believes you can run the same defensive schemes you ran when you had a 6'7" girl guarding the paint.

• Like Like x 1
  14. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

I'll get over this first game. It is never as bad as you think. However, I am shocked they look so disorganized. And poor defensively. They have LOTS to work on.

15. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

We definitely could have used a game before this one; not sure why we didn't schedule one. I recall two years ago awful we looked in our first game of the season, but then went to Stanford and looked like a completely different team after having corrected many problems.l

16. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

We we've been backdoored to death. Man, do we miss Imani. My usual complaint, when you're getting killed doing one thing, why not try something else? (e.g. a ZONE. They would have to adjust and couldn't kill us inside like this. Make them prove they can beat us with outside shooting.) Aston's rigidity on this bothers me a lot. Stanford hasn't had to take any outside shots. Our lack of a quick post player is painfully obvious tonight. Oh well, many more game to try again.

• Like Like x 1
  17. TempestHorn

TempestHorn 500+ Posts

I'm trying to decide what's more embarrassing...us using #196 in all our social media or Nell predicting us to be in the Final Four.

I'm really disappointed in how Aston has chosen to schedule this year. With that many seniors graduating, you've put your team in a horrible position to lose too much confidence. I also don't like this is our first game and Stanford's second. Really poor decisions.

18. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

The thing is, this might have been our most winnable non-conference game against a ranked opponent other than Tennessee.

19. justabbfan

justabbfan 250+ Posts

Pitiful. Just pitiful. Coaching staff has to get all this cleaned up.

20. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

71-59 Horns go down. McPhee set the pace for Stanford before McCall joined her in the second half.

Horns got a lot of go over before playing Sam Houston Wed. at 11 AM. Can't be too happy with the defense. Too many backcourt cuts for layups. And McPhee burned whoever was on her.

Well, certainly would have preferred a win but there's another 29+ games to go.

21. cynt

cynt 1,000+ Posts

Out coached!

Like someone else mentioned, we're too short. We need some height.

Where's our offense?

We have a lot to work on b4 our next game.

• Like Like x 1
  22. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

This teams defense was very undisciplined on the defensive side of the ball. I agree that coach Aston should have tried a zone. On offense they took too many bad forced contested shots.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I'm trying to find a couple of positives or things we did very well today, but I can't.

24. LutherIsMyDog

I thought the addition of Jamey Carey might have provided a more creative offense. We don't use screens effectively to get shots for Ariel or Brooke. We looked sluggish with no transition game. Surprisingly our defense was just as bad.

• Like Like x 1
  25. chuckhorn

chuckhorn 25+ Posts

We looked totally lost. We had no inside game. Another year of Kelsey not able to finish under the basket. Another year of where are the points coming from??? To compete with teams like Baylor, South Carolina, and the rest of the big dogs we have to be able to put points on the board. Other than Ariel and Brooke who give us 10 a game, who else can score consistently?

26. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

So, the staring lineup was Tasia, Brooke, Ariel, Brianna, and Kelsey. That's not enough offense or size. Brooke and Ariel always play hard, but is seemed like they were trying too hard to make up for overall lack of team offensive firepower.

Starting lineup next game will probably be Brooke, Lashann, Ariel, Joyner, and Kelsey.

I said all pre-season that hot having Alecia at 100% to start the season was going to really hurt our back court options, and that certainly was the case tonight.

Inside game lacks muscle and quickness. No way can we play Joyner at small forward this season as she is gonna have to be an inside player for us as she can help in those areas.

• Like Like x 3
  27. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

I can't believe we loss.
    We got to get some type of Offensive Scheme going.That's embarassing, to have that type of Talent.And it's not being shown at all. I am so loss.J.Carey came to our staff.I expected to see that Offense look much better.I hate to say it.We looked a mess.

• Like Like x 2
  28. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Once they adjusted to our overplaying on D, they basically beat us with the same play over and over again... attack the D and take advantage of HORRIBLE help side rotations. I wish we'd have adjusted accordingly.

Knowing that we've got an entirely new offense this season (believe it or not) I expected us to look shabby on the offensive end. I'm really disappointed in the defense however.

At some point we're going to have to come to the realization that we can't get by with three non-factors on offense. There's lots of new blood, so it's only natural to go with experience at first. However tonight that experience showed no improvement over last year and no promise either. May as well put the new blood out there and let them figure it out and gel together. We're not going to win against these other four ranked non-conference opponents playing like this anyway:
    Starters
    Holmes
    Audrey
    Atkins
    McCarty
    Higgs/Sutton (if healthy enough)

Key subs
    Higgs/Sutton
    Taylor
    Foman
    Lang
    Underwood

I only saw a couple of small positive things from this game:.
    1.Underwood got decent minutes art the end and looked pretty good.
    2. Audrey stepped out and hit a nice jumper

Other than that we looked pretty freaking bad.

• Like Like x 1
  29. jtuna55

jtuna55 < 25 Posts

Texas was outcoached and absolutely not prepared for what Stanford was going to do. Substitutions made no sense. Seemed like she was just trying to get playing time for everyone after she gave up way too early.

• Like Like x 2
  30. LutherIsMyDog

Is it me, or did Higgs seem tentative tonight? She's at her best when she is driving to the basket and creating a shot or passing it to someone else as she attracts the defenders. I hope the coaches aren't coaching her out of her natural instincts by having her to stand around and pass the ball when there are times she can create her own shot.

Just a disappointing night with no adjustments from the coaches.

Maybe this game will be a wake up call to the players (but mostly the coaches).

• Like Like x 1