Texas at UConn in Jimmy V game

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BabHorn, Dec 3, 2016.

1. "Anna hook em"

"Anna hook em" 250+ Posts

I don't think we will see Ariel play the rest of the way hope I'm wrong

2. "Anna hook em"

Keep it up#texasfight

3. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Kelsey working on double double, needs one more reb.
    Gotta love the fight of this team, without two contributors in Ariel & Jada.

• Like Like x 1
  4. "Anna hook em"

5. "Anna hook em"

You tell them Coach Aston

• Like Like x 2
  6. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

ah yeah, I think Coach was a bit mad. Did look like UConn's defender ranked her hands across LaShann's arms on that shot. Still, Audrey-Ann had a clean look on the reb.

• Like Like x 2
  7. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Karen no match for Tina Thompson. I liked the fire though.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

Man just call the game fairly...sigh

• Like Like x 1
  9. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

geez, UConn is 8-13 from BTA, 61.5%. Almost all uncontested looks.

10. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

too many unforced turnovers, under pressure, yes but not executing leading to the TO.

11. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Frustrating turnovers and yet this game makes me hopeful for the remainder of the season. They've got to see they can hang with this team if they clean it up. And they lost Ariel early.

• Like Like x 1
  12. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

We were within 2. Now down 13. Why is Aston so adverse to calling a timeout?

13. texexted

texexted 500+ Posts

Aston's teams have always been turnover machines. Today is no different. Makes me wonder if they ever focus on it.
    I'm sure playing this level of competition will pay off later in the season but perhaps Texas should found a balance between playing the best teams in the country and some teams they could beat to build confidence. We are not a Top 20 team right now - no where close to Top 5.
    I really hope we can get a better draw in the NCAA's and not face UCONN again (perhaps until the Final 4).
    I just want someone to beat UCONN. Anyone.

14. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

I like Karen. I like her a great deal, but she let this one get away. Should have been a closer game. The final score reflects her falling asleep in the 4th quarter. 12-0 run with no timeout. We were within 2. What other coach would let that happen without calling a timeout? Those two timeouts at the half don't go into the locker room and those two at the end of the game don't carry over to the next game.

That said - I liked what I saw for three quarters. Go Horns! Sweep the B12!

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  15. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

well, dang. 26 TOs to 12 for them. We outrebounded them 31-24.
    Wish Kelsey had gotten more than 9 shots. The good thing is that she has had two strong games against top teams now. She had her second double double in a row: 12 pts & 10 rebs. Improvement, yes but, a win would have been more satisfying.
    Got a week to prepare for Tenn. at home. :hookem2:

• Like Like x 3
  16. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

The unforced turnovers really hurt this team. Too many travels and balls thrown at each others feet. Ariel getting injured was big because she's another scorer on a team that struggles to score. I also don't understand not calling timeouts to stop runs. It was good that Alecia is getting more playing time. I think playing her with Brooke will really help this team. The team played well for three quarters but Ariel not playing and the offense still needing to improve hurt the team.

• Like Like x 2
  17. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

Yea Aston could have called a timeout.But we never would have been in that position.If we stop making stupid mistakes as far as bad passing Lang is 6'5.Why are you passing a ball to the floor to her.Throw it up High.And we foul too much as a Team.I noticed Holmes was not really aggressive today.She has to be active each game for us to win.We getting there.

18. justabbfan

justabbfan 250+ Posts

UConn has had ESPN firmly in their back pocket for years. And Kara Lawson has gone over to the dark side as well, it seems. Considering the poor calls by the refs, the loss of Ariel and Brooke being "under the weather" it's a wonder we didn't lose by more. The team hung in there tough though. You have to wonder if Coach is focusing more on their mental game and confidence during this run of difficult opponents rather than getting wins.

• Like Like x 4
  19. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

I don't claim to know how to coach, but why did we have LaShann guarding Samuelson in the second half? Samuelson was making easy jumpers just by being taller than LaShann. Not LaShann's fault at all, I'm just saying. Brianna was doing a much better job on her through the first half (well, what time she was in there), even got the flagrant foul called on her. Could have been what the rotation had to go to with Ariel's absence?? Oh well, good showing in the first and third quarter. On to Tennessee! Hope we have a big crowd for that game. The players need it!!!!! :hookem2:

20. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

For the last 4 years this team has gotten better each year. This year will be no different. So far we have 4 loses, to the #2, #3, #6 and #11 ranked teams in the country. I trust Coach Aston "season/game" plan. I can't wait to see this team in March!

• Like Like x 3
  21. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

I agree with all the above comments -- Kara Lawson and Beth whoever did a poor job. It was basically just a conversation about UConn. We were just a prop. They seemed to have little knowledge, or concern, about Texas. At least one of them, Kara I guess, did finally suggest that losing Ariel was a difficult thing for us to overcome.

I agree with everyone else about Karen not calling time-outs to deal with the other team's runs. I don't get it.

We played a good game on the whole, but lost focus in the fourth quarter. Kelsey was great. It was great to get Alicia some minutes. She will add a lot. Joyner just needs lots of practice to make the most of her gifts, especially her shooting touch. The score would have been closer if Ariel had played and we had kept it together more in the fourth.

22. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

I agree with many of the thoughts of the board. Losing Ariel early was a game changer. IMO, Ariel started hitting her stride in the S. Carolina game and continued the UConn game with the same confidence and intensity. Turnovers were killer and many of them are careless.

Sug Sutton is going to be good! She and Joyner certainly don't play like Freshman.

I don't know much about "x and o's" but it bothers me that when we are behind we don't seem to have a hurry up offense. I realize some of it may be due to UConn's defense but we don't have called plays to expedite shooting and conversely we don't go to full court pressure to try to get a turnover when UConn brings the ball down.

One last matter, I covet a consistent 3 point shooter. Other than Brooke, wish we had another.

Still, I'm encouraged. The team has improved since the Stanford game. We may not win all the Big 12 games but we aren't going to be intimidated by another B12 opponent.

• Like Like x 2
  23. overseasbbfan1

overseasbbfan1 1,000+ Posts

I agree with most of what Luther says, but would like to add we have to do a better job contesting shots. There were too many open looks made by the Huskies, we are the fastest team in the country, and can not let that happen. We are not as disciplined as UCONN (few are), yet, but we are the more talented team. That may sound like a bold statement, but I absolutely believe if we meet the Huskies again in post-season play, we will win. And win comfortably. For now, we have to keep getting better, and I think we are improving every game, and focus on getting Ariel and Jada back as soon as possible. I enjoyed the watch party at Buffalo Wild Wings, there were about 18 of us, and a good time was had by all.

• Like Like x 2
  24. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

I agree overseasbbfan1

25. cynt

cynt 1,000+ Posts

I'm a Tasia Foman supporter but she was awful today. That surprised me because it's her 3rd time facing UCONN so shouldn't have been intimidated.

Ariel getting hurt was a huge blow for us.

I know Taylor was in foul trouble but taking her off Samuelson was a mistake. Higgs couldn't handle Samuelson.

If we could ever get our offense up and going consistently for 40 minutes we wouldn't collapse in the 4th qtr. I really want to attend about two weeks of practice to see how much they work on offense. I'm thinking every player should have 5 or 7 set plays for them. And the go to players maybe 10 or 15 plays. I don't understand why coaches don't study, memorize and utilitize Geno's offense. SMH!! He's a master. I would know it like the palm of my hand and copy it. I would study the changes he makes at half time to counter his opponents. Aston drives me crazy not being able to adjust during a game nor at half time. Or is she making adjustments but they're not effective.

And one more thing please don't recruit any more players who can't shoot the ball. Check out their numbers and efficiency before we recruit them. WE DO NOT NEED ANY ROLE PLAYERS. We need 10-12 players who can shoot the BALL!!!

We're still learning and growing.

• Like Like x 2
  26. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

Cynt, I agree with you --- figure out what Geno is doing and just adopt his system flat out. Seriously. And shooting is still the main skill necessary in basketball. Athleticism is great, but it's got to be coupled with shooting ability. Like Jody Conradt says, "But can they shoot?" We're still waiting to see that shooting touch from Joyner, but hopefully it is coming along. I think the best shooters are usually the ones who have played basketball since they were tiny children. I always worry when I hear, "She just started playing basketball in the eighth grade."

• Like Like x 1
  27. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

The officiating may have been bad, but you can't blame the refs when you give the other team 35 pnts on turnovers, most of them plain carelessness. Kelsey with 7 and Joyner with 6 alone. Kelsey just holds the ball out there like she's handing it to the other team. Regardless of how she played otherwise, that just kills momentum.

Uconn went on big runs in the 2nd and 4th qtrs after a string of turnovers on multiple possessions. We won't ever beat the top teams until we get the turnovers under control. It's just sad to see them work so hard and hustle their butts off only to give the game away in turnovers. This team has a lot of potential if they can ever eliminate all the foolish turnovers.

• Like Like x 2
  28. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

I disagree about coach "letting this one get away" you will never win vs Uconn with 26 TO's and letting them go 60+ % from 3.

No Ariel, and Joyner played awful today. I think if we were to see them again this year we would fair a lot better.

#Hopeful

• Like Like x 2
  29. Maniac

Maniac < 25 Posts

30. Maniac

Maniac < 25 Posts

No question we get better as the year progresses but so does CT. There a young team, only one senior who plays sparingly, and will also only get better. Ariel getting injured changed everything.