Texas-Boston College Game Thread

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by GemStateJim, May 30, 2009.

1. jayakris

jayakris 2,500+ Posts

Speaking of that, apparently Mack Brown sent a twitter from Iraq (he is in a coaches' group visiting the military bases to talk to the troupes) ... His best wishes came during the 22nd inning or something when he found out, as the announers said. Thanks mack, you too helped!!

R.J.

2. HausFrau

HausFrau 100+ Posts

I was there and scored every inning. I can only fit 12 innings on a page. I have three sheets for this epic game! When Austin was pitching people were coming up to me and asking "Has he given up a hit?" My answer "I'm not going to answer that!!!! But I will tell you [insert correct number] have gotten on base with a walk." Towards the latter part of his outing - Cameron would walk out to the mound to see if Wood was ok and Wood was just wave him back to home plate.

It was incredible to experience first hand. Kudos to the crown because we just got stronger and louder as the night progressed!

3. orangeblack&gold

orangeblack&gold 500+ Posts

Guy that sat next to me toward the end had some friends or family use his tixs and they left somewhere between 8 - 12. He finished dinner, found out the game was still going and just walked in in the 13th inning. Still ended up watching a 12-inning masterpiece.

Just want to take a moment to thank FEDEX and NebLHAB. Don't think we coulda gone too many more innings. [​IMG]

4. TheBigLebowski

TheBigLebowski 25+ Posts

Wow. Congrats to the UT and BC teams on the stamina. I'm sure this is something they're remember for years and years. Too bad that one of the teams had to lose.

5. jayakris

jayakris 2,500+ Posts

307 pitches by us, and 376 pitches by them for 683 total pitches in the game. I am sure that is a record too.

At one point there was a 5 innings stretch where Austin Wood and Mark Belfiore combined to retire 28 batters straight - a strange complete game equivalent!

Here is yet another oddity - a whole 25 inning game that was such an amazing pitching display, but there was not a single double play in the whole game. How is that even possible?

Easily the most amazing game ever in college baseball, if not all of baseball.

We should not forget Cameron Rupp in all this. No 12.1 inning no-hit can happen without an excellent catcher calling pitches. He has had the opportunity now to do this multiple times .. Twice this year itself! .. We will forgive the 6 Ks, Cameron - and you got the right ribbing from Augie for that - being equated to Ray Charles in a poor joke!.

I am still not over that game and had trouble sleeping though it was only midnight in California.

R.J.

6. orangeblack&gold

orangeblack&gold 500+ Posts

Good point.

BOTH catchers went 25 freakin' innings. [​IMG]

7. shorty

shorty 250+ Posts

Heck, I was getting mentally tired and my eyes were crossing just watching the game. You could tell Craig Way was getting tired after the end of the game. He mentioned something about 9 innings and corrected himself. Hats off to him for his endurance.

I agree the catcher should get lots of kudos too. I bet his knees felt like jelly this morning.

8. KazooMan

KazooMan 250+ Posts

Another allsome Austintacious adventure leading us to the brink of a regional championship.

Lots of heroes, from the strength up the middle to the plethora of 5-3 putouts. The equivilent of two back to back shutouts, when a single run would have cost us the ballgame.

Just win, baby! Onward to Omaha!

9. jayakris

jayakris 2,500+ Posts

.. and the two teams played error-free ball for some 20 odd innings. In fact the Eagles 3B dropping a ball when he picked it up to throw to first, and our making a base-running mistake is really all I remember as mistakes, till a costly wp/passed ball by the Eagles happened in the 25th. Amazingly mistake-free when you considered how tired they all were late at night. A classic of epic proportions.

R.J.

10. Truck's Son

Truck's Son 500+ Posts

I'm so thankful I got to witness that game in person. What an amazing experience.

11. Bill in Sinton

Bill in Sinton 5,000+ Posts

Way to go Horns! [​IMG]

Great game by both teams. Too bad television didn't have the foresight to broadcast it even though it is not a big surprise. What a missed opportunity to have broadcast a great historical game.