Texas College Football: "I work with retards."

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by El Torito, Sep 5, 2017.

1. El Torito

El Torito 1,000+ Posts

Get this: In the last 54 years, the State of Texas has produced four national championships, all Texas ('63, '69, '70, '05). You can throw in aggy's 1939 alleged natty and TCU's 1938 natty. That's a grand total of 6 national championships in 79 years.

Oklahoma alone has 7 national championships.

Alabama alone has 11 national championships.

The state of Florida has produced 11 national championships between the University of Miami, the University of Florida, and Florida State.

Last year, not one Texas college football program finished in the Top 25.

Mike Finger wrote stark reminder of just how badly Texas college football has underperformed in the Lone Star State:

http://www.expressnews.com/sports/c...es-company-12172303.php?cmpid=twitter-premium

2. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

I don't get the "working with retards" angle

• Like Like x 1
  3. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

I don't get that angle either. But I do get that Texas has the best High School football in the country and if we had better coaching in the college ranks we would have more national championships from in state Universities. Darrel Royal was a great coach. Mack Brown was a very fine coach. After that.........

• Like Like x 1
  4. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

Sometimes the truth hurts but the author makes an excellent point. Carolina bbq really does kinda suck.

• Like Like x 3
  5. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

I've frankly been wondering of late whether our state high school coaches haven't been elevated way beyond what they should be. Aside from offensive skill positions, I just don't see a lot of kids coming up that seem to actually get how to play fundamental football. For all the talk about how our high school coaches are so good at teaching blocking and tackling, why is it that when they get here, they don't seem to know how to do either?

Maybe our reputation is built on sheer volume? I'm starting to think we need to start shopping for linebackers out of state, because the ones that we're getting from inside the state seem borderline unteachable.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

We are the third winningest team all time. Yes, we are historically consistently great at college football. We just are currently in a down period. It happens. The sport is cyclical.

• Like Like x 2
  7. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

There is some merit to the argument that because Texas HS football is so wide open and offense based that it dilutes the defensive talent pool and as Alabama proves year in and year out you win championships with defense.

• Like Like x 1
  8. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

FW,

"Before you can win, you gotta defend" - Rick Lantz

9. BrntOrngStmpeDe

BrntOrngStmpeDe 1,000+ Posts

The state of Alabama didn't win 11 NC's. Two fantastic coaches won those. The success of a program is ALL about the Head Coach. If you hire the right coach, he can turn your fortunes around. Without Bryant and now Saban, Alabama performs at a mediocre level just like the rest.

If Nick Saban moved to Colorado and became the coach. That program would be in the top 5 in three years. His plan and approach to college football are just better than everybody else right now.

The state of Texas didn't go up and down on talent. The HS coaches aren't doing anything they haven't done before (as a group). It is 99% about the dude in the head office. If he can manage all the thousands of little things that effect a program, then the program (and state) look like rockstars. If he can't...you look like us for the last 6 years.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

@BrntOrngStmpeDe 100% speaks the truth! There is nothing special about Kansas State, for example, other than they made a good coaching hire. Texas just needs another DKR or Mack Brown. Hopefully it is Herman.

11. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

Based on the way those championships were calculated, you could make a pretty good argument that the University of Alabama didn't win 11 NCs either. :D

• Like Like x 1
  12. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

BOS,

I think an old farm boy from Lamar County was the HC for one of those championships. Of course, he did play for Coach Bryant.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  13. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Nick also is in the top 5 (or better) every year in recruiting. His Coordinators seem excellent also. So he makes great choices of players to get and coaches to teach his system and develop players.
    But I have to think that his Recruiting is helped by lax oversight in the SEC and Alabama. And that admission criteria at Bama is less rigorous than at UT.

14. gahornphan

gahornphan 500+ Posts

And note that Nick, Stoops and Urban get more than their fare share of bluechip recruits from the state of Texas.
    For a plethora of reasons, Texas colleges haven't done a good job of defending their home turf especially of late.
    Maybe Coach Herman can change all that.