Texas goes for Sweep vs KSU Sat (02/10/18)

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BabHorn, Feb 9, 2018.

1. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

#6/#6 Texas (19-4; 10-2) will host NR/NR Kansas State(13-11; 5-8) on Saturday, 02/10/18. Texas won the first game between the two this season to run the series record to 21-14, Texas. Horns have won six straight and will attempt to sweep the KSU series for the third year in a row. Texas has won five straight Big 12 games and is undefeated at home in conference games. The Wildcats are looking to string two wins together for the second time in conference play. In Big 12 play, Texas is 5-0 at home and KSU is 3-3 on road games.

KANSAS STATE WILDCATS
    Kayla Goth (#2, 6-0 Jr. G) is the leading scorer in conference for the Wildcats with an average of 16.6 ppg. Peyton Williams (#11, 6-4 Soph. F) provides 15.2 ppg from the frontcourt. Rachel Ranke (#12, 6-1 Fr. G) is the third Wildcat averaging double digits at 10.8 ppg. Williams ranks fifth in the league with a FG% of 55.7%. Goth is making 39.8% of her shots. Goth (78-196), Williams (83-149), Ranke (47-146) and Kaylee Page (#1, 6-3 Sr. F) are the only ones to have reached triple digits in FG attempts. Those four players account for 75% of the shots taken by the Wildcats. Ranke (35-116; 30.2%) and Page (22-78; 28.2%) are the primary shooters from BTA for KSU. Goth (10-38; 26.3%) and Cymone Goodrich (#2, 5-10 Fr. G; 7-24; 29.2%) are the other Wildcats that have taken more than 20 3pts. Williams takes about 1.5 3s a game from her F spot (5-19; 26.3%). Shaelyn Martin (#50, 6-1 Sr. G) would lead the league in FT% if she got to the FT line enough times. She is making 94.4% on 17-18 FTs. Goth is the leader in FTs made and attempts at 50 of 72 (69.4%). Williams is the only other to exceed 20 FT attempts at 26-37 (70.3%).

Three players grab at least four rebs per game: Williams (7.6 rpg), Martin (5.9 rpg) and Goth (4.6 rpg). Goth tops the league with 6.7 apg. Three others average at least one assist per game: Martin (3.7 apg), Page (1.7 apg) and Williams (1.1 apg).Goth (1st) and Martin (6th) rank in the top ten in assists per game. KSU ranks third in the league in steals, behind WVU and Texas, with 8.2 spg. Goth (1.8 spg), Williams (1.5 spg), Martin (1.5 spg) and Page (1.3 spg) lead the way for KSU. Williams (1.3 bpg) is the only player to register more than 7 blocks in Big 12 play.

KSU uses seven players in their primary rotation. Five of those play at least 29 minutes: Goth (37.2 mpg), Ranke (31.7 mpg), Williams (33.0 mpg), Page (30.2 mpg) and Martin (29.3 mpg). Key reserves are Goodrich, Kali Jones (#15, 6-2 Jr. F), Mary Lakes (40, 6-4 Fr. C) and Ashley Ray (#33, 6-4 Fr. C). Goodrich and Jones average mpg in the teens.

TEXAS LONGHORNS
    The Horns have three players averaging double digits in scoring in conference games with a fourth just below that mark. LaShann continues to be the leading scorer at 15.9 ppg while Ariel is just behind at 15.5 ppg. Brooke is third at 12.3 ppg. Jatarie is just behind at 9.4 ppg. Texas is hitting 45.0% of their FGs in Big 12 play. Six players are making above that, led by Rellah’s 59.1% (13-22) and LaShann’s 59.0% (72-122). The other four are Ariel (69-128; 53.9%), Jordan (13-25; 52.0%), Audrey-Ann (26-53; 49.1%) and Jatarie (48-99; 48.5%). Texas’ top 3pt threats are the top four guards: Ariel (16-40; 40.0%), LaShann (10-26; 38.5%), Brooke (15-58; 25.9%) and Alecia (7-28; 25.0%). Rellah brings a 3pt threat from the frontcourt when she gets in the game at 66.7% from BTA on four of six treys. Texas ranks fifth in the league in FT attempts and fourth in FT% at 73.7%. Ariel’s 91.4% on 32 of 35 attempts ranks first on the team. LaShann is the best at getting to the FT line with a team high 37 of 49 FT attempts for 75.5%. Brooke (26-29; 89.7%), Joyner (17-29; 58.6%) and Jatarie (17-26; 65.4%) are the only other players to reach 20 FT attempts.

Ariel (6.4 rpg) leads the group of five that help Texas rank second in rebounding and rebounding margin. The others are Jatarie (5.8 rpg), Joyner (5.7 rpg), Brooke (4.8 rpg) and Audrey-Ann (4.7 rpg). Five Longhorns average at least one assist per game led by Brooke’s 4.8 apg and Ariel’s 3.1 apg. Audrey-Ann’s 2.5 bpg tops the team and ties her for second in the league in bpg. Ariel is second on the team with her average of 1.0 bpg. The starting backcourt for Texas are the top three steal leaders on the team: Ariel (2.9 spg), LaShann (1.9 spg) and Brooke (1.3 spg).

Six players have seen action in every game. Two (Alecia & Audrey-Ann) have played in all eleven games they have been available for. Five of the other six have played in at least four games while one has yet to see action in a Big 12 game. Ariel, Brooke, LaShann, Jatarie and Audrey-Ann have been the starters in 11 of the 12 games with Audrey-Ann missing one game due to injury. Brooke (32.8 mpg) and Ariel (30.3 mpg) are the players that are the most likely to stay in the game. Five others of those that have played in all twelve games average between 27 and 10 mpg. Jordan and Jada are just off hitting double digit minutes but have also been in all 12 games. Destiny appears to have been cleared for practice but not yet for game action.

LINEUPS
    Projected starting lineups are based on the last game played.
    upload_2018-2-9_15-56-59.png

Williams is a potential All Big 12 player who is going to test the Horns’ posts. Both she and Page will need to be guarded out to the 3pt line by Texas. The issue for KSU is their inexperienced lack of depth inside to complement Williams and Page. Audrey-Ann had a double double in the first game while Jatarie also had 10 pts. With Joyner starting to play even better every game, KSU will find it difficult going in the post.

KSU, like TCU, has a big backcourt. In the previous game between the two teams, Goth had success but KSU had trouble with Ariel and LaShann who scored 37 of Texas’ 75 pts. It’s hard to think that the Wildcats will be able to shut down the Texas backcourt.

LaShann should start off on Goth while Ariel takes on Ranke. The Texas bigs should be able to handle the KSU posts one on one the majority of the time. That will allow the Texas guards to body up and deny the KSU backcourt any open looks from the perimeter.

STATS COMPARISON
    Team stats are for Big 12 games only.
    upload_2018-2-9_16-0-49.png
    upload_2018-2-9_16-2-53.png
    upload_2018-2-9_16-4-53.png

Texas should be able to run on KSU who will be looking to slow the game down as their primary game plan. Ball movement to create open looks in the half court is KSU’s bread and butter. On defense, the Wildcats’ ability to create TOs results in quick and easy points for them. Texas should dominate the boards and create second chance points for themselves.

Texas won in Manhattan by double digits. This game should also be a double digit win with the chance that some, if not all of our frosh, to get a chance to experience game action.

Game time will be 7 PM this Saturday. The game will be televised on the LHN.

http://texassports.com/news/2018/2/9/no-6-womens-basketball-preview-kansas-state.aspx

http://www.kstatesports.com/news/2018/2/8/womens-basketball-k-state-begins-texas-two-step-road-trip-on-saturday.aspx

https://www.dailytexanonline.com/2018/02/08/jatarie-white-looks-to-guide-longhorns-to-sweep-over-kansas-state

https://www.kstatecollegian.com/2018/02/09/k-state-womens-basketball-to-face-longhorns-in-austin/

http://themercury.com/k_state_sports/at-a-glance-kansas-state-women-at-no-texas/article_b46f21ef-af1d-5ecc-badc-437e35c466e4.html

• Like Like x 2
  2. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

Coach Tina breaking down the KSU game. She has such a positive and charismatic personality. She discusses her aspirations to be a head coach at the end of the clip.

• Like Like x 4
  3. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

Audrey Ann with her time in front of the camera.

• Like Like x 4
  4. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

That was the first time I had heard Tina T in a long, thoughtful conversation. She is bright and articulate and impressive. Her basketball skills are unquestioned. I had this impression that she was a good coach and recruiter. Having seen this interview, I have no doubt she will be a head coach real soon. Probably not this next year but the year after for sure. She needs to be somewhat selective about where she gets her first head coaching job. Aston was told that she needed some head coaching experience to get that destination job.......and went to UNC-Charlotte and North Texas for that. Not sure that was the perfect path, but it worked for her. Tina "may" have to do something similar.....but with the lack of real good coaching depth in the women's game, she might get lucky. Regardless, let's enjoy her contributions cause I am sure in a few short years, the Horns will be competing against her team(s).

• Like Like x 6
  5. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

That's true flash34

6. cynt

cynt 1,000+ Posts

OMG!!! I've been a Tina T fan for a long time. Yep I was at the Houston Comet championships!!! Love me some Tina. I'm soooo happy for her. Tina T - GOAT!!!!

7. cynt

cynt 1,000+ Posts

OK back to the game. O and thanks for posting the video.

Joyner Holmes welcome to your sophomore season of WCBB. I see ya!! She's slowly evolving into that player we've been waiting to show up. I think she's out of her head and starting to do her thing. Great timing! By conference tourney she'll be back.

• Like Like x 1
  8. geewago

geewago 100+ Posts

Maybe she could go to TT and team up with Swoopes. Keep Shimmel the current intern, and between the three they should be able to recruit a little better and get some positivity going up there. Right now that would be a place where you had nowhere to go but up.

9. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

1) Good crowd. Maybe leftover interest from the hyped-up UConn game? Will take it!
    2) Joyner at 95% of fully Joynerness
    3) Audrey-Anne....gah! Arm in sling, geez....
    4) Sug's [cover-your-eyes] passing still bad
    5) At one point I was hoping they'd have 4 bigs (there were 3 and another was waiting to come in) in there with Brooke to see if that would freak out K-State
    6) People around me were muttering, "Uhhh, why not put in Rellah" (see the latest Rellah update I put into her dedicated thread)
    7) Some amazing fast break passing to score
    8) And some fast break passing that was one-too-many extra passes that weren't needed. Just shoot the ball!
    9) I wish our medical staff would hustle over faster when our player is down. Someone pointed out that they're doing the best they can in heels. Then wear sneakers as your game-time attire! Drives me crazy to see a player in pain while our staff walks deliberately over to see if they're still breathing
    10) So, are the the team in the Big 12 that everyone knows they can shoot 3's against? Seems that way.

• Like Like x 2
  10. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

I think you are asking if we are the team that everyone likes to shoot threes against? :smile1:
    I think it's more of a Big 12 thing, launching threes. Other than us, Baylor and Tech, everyone else takes close to a third of their shots from BTA.

• Like Like x 1
  11. hornhonker

hornhonker 100+ Posts

I thought Chasity’s play was greatly improved from the last time she was in. She made some good passes and seemed to be looking for her teammates rather than taking early shots. Maybe the game is slowing down a bit for her.

• Like Like x 3
  12. BrewComLey

BrewComLey < 25 Posts

I think shooting 3s are a result of a couple of things. Teams will shoot whatever shot is available to them. If you have a strong post present like Baylor/Texas the opposition is going to shoot more 3s instead of going inside. I also think its a trend in the game. I watched the Duke/UNC men's game the other night and if my math is correct both teams took over 40% of of their shots from behind the arc.

13. justabbfan

justabbfan 250+ Posts

Re: medical staff. Don't know this for certain but I think they cannot go on the floor until a ref allows them. The ref seems to give the player some time to make an attempt to resolve the problem without assistance and if they cannot the med staff is motioned to come to their aid.

• Like Like x 1
  14. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

The three point shot is the great equalizer. It allows teams that don’t have as much talent like Kansas State, and Iowa State to have a punchers chance to beat teams if they’re making their 3 point shots.

If you watch the NBA most teams are taught to take the majority of 3 point shots and not to take mid range jump shots. The analytics in basketball say that taking and making 3 pointers allows you to obviously score more points on less shots.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

The most disappointing stat was our team going 2-15 from three-point line, and one of the makes was a last second shot by Sug to end the first quarter.

I thought the majority of those 15 shots were good, wide open shots, but we couldn't nail them at home. That has to improve.

• Like Like x 1