Texas Longhorns notch beer sponsorship with ... Corona?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by moondog_LFZ, Jul 6, 2017.

1. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

Yes. Lone Star and Pearl are both owned by Pabst but brewed, under contract, by Miller in Fort Worth.

G Heilemann bought LS in the 80s and ruined it, taste-wise. Stroh's bought LS from GH in the 90s and made it even worse, if that was possible (it was). Pabst bought LS from Stroh's in the 00s and had dreams of re-opening the LS brewery in SA. In the meantime, they went back to the original recipe and contracted with Miller to brew it until the SA brewery could be brought up to speed. Unfortunately, the SA brewery was too far gone to save and so Pabst dropped that idea and LS is brewed to this day in FW.

Yes! Since Pabst bought it and took it back, recipe-wise, it is back to being the LS I loved in HS in the 70s. It's my beer of choice and I am kind of a snob about it. I take LS with me to parties where the host is providing the beer b/c I cannot risk being stuck with Bud Light, Coors Light, et al. If you have not had a LS since they brought back the red shield label (another laudable Pabst idea), try one. I have not given one to any person who told me it was bad.

Related story: at my house, I keep LS in my fridge in the shop. I also keep what I call "decoy beers" in the door (Coors, Bud Light, whatever is left over from the last party) so that when I send a visitor to the fridge when they ask for a beer, I hope they will take a decoy and leave the LS for me. Not once, not ever, in 10+ years, has anyone ever taken a decoy. They *always* come out with a Lone Star. It's more popular than you think.

blonthang you are correct on this (klobasnek or klobasnik means "little sausage") and, even tho I am not Czech, I am German, this is one of my pet peeves too. I tend to get all pedantic on people when they say "sausage kolache" and make myself out to be a nut over it.

Having said all that, I too prefer Shiner Premium over Shiner Bock, and if UT would adopt Shiner as the official beer, it would still be better than Corona, for crying out loud. I would say, IMO, Shiner Premium and Lone Star are about equal in taste, but I prefer Lone Star because a) it is half the price and b) it was daddy's beer.

• Like Like x 2
  2. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

It's a myth that guys aren't verbal like the fairer sex is. It's just that we don't engage conversations about office gossip, who's seeing who, what you think about Meryl Streep's latest movie.

But beer? Welllll, now we're talkin. Bout sumpin' important. As Peter responded to the Bobs in Office Space: "Let me tell you about TPS Reports."

My only "dust stirring" is about lesser beers (e.g. the "lights"). I'm not proud.

Come in from a hot Texas August Saturday afternoon mowing the yard, hell, a Coors Light actually sounds good. Won't take about 12 seconds to slam it down, then settle in to appreciate a finer brew, a PBR, Lone Star, Shiner Premium.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

My guilty pleasure in this circumstance is Bud Light Lime. :oops:

4. PecosBill

PecosBill 1,000+ Posts

It may just be based on market demand. Bud Light Coors Light, Miller Lite and Corona are all top 5 sellers in Texas and US. Corona is the fastest growing import by far. LS and Shiner are way down the list.

5. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

I'm actually Shiner biased in this instance, but thought Revolver (recently bought by Miller/Coors) would have been both Texas and big dollar corporate.

6. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

While we're looking at the official beer of DKRTMS, maybe a review of Texas Fight might be in order, somewhat along the line of New Mexico State's Aggy fight song:

Aggies, Oh Aggies
    The hills send back the cry
    We're here to do or die
    Aggies, Oh Aggies
    We'll win this game or know the reason why
    And when we win this game
    We'll buy a keg of booze
    And we'll drink to the Aggies
    'Til we wobble in our shoes
    A-G-G-I-E-S
    Aggies, Aggies, go Aggies
    Aggies, Oh Aggies
    The hills send back the cry
    We're here to do or die
    Aggies, Oh Aggies
    We'll win this game or know the reason why!

source: http://www.lyricsondemand.com/misce...ongslyrics/newmexicostatefightsonglyrics.html