Texas rolls into Norman on Sunday

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BabHorn, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

29-7 after the first 3 quarters were all very close ... hard to comprehend.

2. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

Imani and Kelsey aren't very comfortable when they're posting up on the block. Kelsey isn't a back to the basket player, so it's on Coach Aston to recognize that and play Kelsey to her strengths. When Kelsey is in the game she should always be at the free throw line area facing the basket shooting those 10 to12 foot jump shots that she's comfortable with. Putting Kelsey there would also help space the floor.

• Like Like x 4
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  3. 56 Bells

56 Bells 500+ Posts

That's why Mulkey belongs at Tennessee.

4. 56 Bells

56 Bells 500+ Posts

Couldn't agree more. Both bigs with horrible foot movement on defense. It's a big weakness that other teams are now exploiting. We better learn how to play a great zone defense in the future, because everyone's found our weaknesses in the paint.

• Like Like x 4
  5. car54

car54 1,000+ Posts

In the future we won't have any BIGS...All our recruits are no bigger than 6'3" or 6'4"....No big ones like Boyette. Puzzling since Boyette's shot blocking has been so huge for us defensively, etc.

6. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Exactly my point! With our quickness on the perimeter we should be able to play a matchup zone and be able to guard the long ball pretty effectively. The current one-dimensional defensive strategy looks far too familiar. Ughhh....

• Like Like x 1
  7. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

They played some zone in the 4th quarter.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  8. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

As slow as OU guards are.They started traping the Texas guards.Are we really getting the best out of the talented player's we have.Are we placing the player's in a situation to be successful.

• Like Like x 1
  9. 56 Bells

56 Bells 500+ Posts

As I said, "we need to learn how to play GREAT zone defense in the future, because everyone's found our weakness in the paint."

We played some zone in the 4th quarter....but it wasn't even good...much less great.

• Like Like x 3
  10. 56 Bells

56 Bells 500+ Posts

Oklahoma's Pierre-Louis is 6'4"....scored 17 against our bigs.
    Kaylon Williams is 6'3"....scored 13 against our bigs.

• Like Like x 1
  11. UTFORLIFE

UTFORLIFE 25+ Posts

Our players aren't developing. We are the equivalent of Texas A&M's football team.. The best talent but no development . It's time to wake up people.

• Like Like x 1
  12. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

Well that's just absurd. You're talking about kids who went like 13-19 as freshman to a team as seniors who are now 23-2. Im no wiz, but I would call a - 17 in the loss column a development. Could just be me though

• Like Like x 6
  13. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Two losses, Top Ten ranking and still looking at a #2 seed in the Big Dance. I think I'll keep snoozing.

• Like Like x 4
  14. UTFORLIFE

UTFORLIFE 25+ Posts

That's because overall women's basketball just isn't very good

15. UTFORLIFE

UTFORLIFE 25+ Posts

It's a reason why our attendance is so low and we are a top 10 team in the nation..

• Like Like x 1
  16. utfannforlife

Seattle is this you reincarnated? o_o

• Like Like x 2
  17. utfannforlife

you're right because historically women's basketball has high attendance turn outs right?

And I'm sure that being in one of the most active and diverse cites in the world with a million things to do on a given day have nothing to do with it

18. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Ok that may not be exceptionally tall for a post player at this level, but it's hardly "not a big" either. Heck, Stacey Stephens might be the best post player we've had at Texas since I started following the team anyway (~15 years) and she was 6'1". This is sort of like saying the mid-2000s Detroit Pistons didn't have any bigs since Ben Wallace was only 6'9".

19. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Then why are you here to comment on a sport you disdain? Seriously nothing (at all) better to do with your time?

• Like Like x 3
  20. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Re: Zone defense.

Again, the one-dimensional defensive philosophy is looking painfully familiar. If you're REALLY a defensive-minded team, then you know how to play different ones that suit the match-ups.

• Like Like x 5
  21. utfannforlife

This I agree with, and I would like to see us press more. Zone wouldn't have helped us at OU imo because they're really good at finding gaps and open shooters.

• Like Like x 2
  22. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

True, I'd like to see us at least switch up throughout the game though andmake the opponent have to make live adjustments. Our depth may not be highly skilled to the end of our bench, but the athleticism is definitely there to wreak havoc with full-court pressure and it energizes the team when we're flat.

• Like Like x 2
  23. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

I find myself shaking my head listening to Coach Aston as to why the team is struggling with the loss to Oklahoma and struggle against Kansas State. She cites two reasons: 1) this is the second go 'round in the Big 12 and everyone knows everyone, which I totally agree, and 2) the players are fatigued, which I don't buy.

If that's the case, Baylor should be struggling too. Their schedule is similar, second go 'round, and their players should be just as fatigued.

As the reporters suggest, the struggles are related to Imani. Perhaps that's just a coach covering for one of her players. But the journalists are absolutely correct the team is struggling because Imani is struggling both offensively and defensively.

Imani was such a difference maker early in the season. And now smaller, but stronger (and less talented) post opponents are out playing and out muscling her on both ends the floor. It's all inter-related. If Imani can demand double teams, that opens up opportunities on the perimeter. If Imani can be the defensive force in the paint, Texas transition game improves.

24. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

Imani not playing well is one reason Texas has struggled. The other reason is because of the lack of consistent perimeter jump shooting other than Brooke.

• Like Like x 1
  25. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

Agree. That's why Atkins needs to be more consistent in her quality of playing time and stay out of foul trouble. When she is "on", she is the best shooter on the team. Teams will need to take account for her on the court, which will open things up for Brooke. Atkins got a late start due to rehabbing her injury but hopefully she will start peaking at the end of the season.