Texas should win the Final Big XII.

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Billy Dale, Apr 29, 2023.

1. Billy Dale

Billy Dale The History of Longhorn Sports through 2014

PRESSURE: UT SHOULD WIN ITS FINAL BIG XII

Commentary by Larry Carlson ( lc13@txstate.edu )

It was hot at DKR for the Orange-White game. About 90 degrees. It'll be hot for the Rice game on Sept. 2 but let's hope LHN will get us a 6:30 kickoff. And remember, it'll be toasty in T-Town, Tuscaloosa, on Sept. 9. Gonna be pret-ty damned crowded Friday and Saturday when you get in line for those juicy ribs at Dreamland.

But back to DKR-Texas Memorial Stadium for the spring game. My nephew, Chad, and I had cruised up from the Alamo City, downed some tacos and tamales at Amaya's and made our way over to the stadium, as we do each April. We strolled past all the amusements of Bevo Boulevard aimed by marketing gurus at a younger target audience, and heard rap music blasting from inside the stadium. I asked my nephew, sarcastically, "So how's your 'stadium experience?'"

Said Chad, nimbly, "What I want to experience is a winning Longhorn team again."

I knew he didn't mean a repeat of 8-5.

As we broiled in the sun in the west side stands, not early enough to have it made in the shade, I looked out at the familiar surroundings.

Ringing the north end zone are the dates of all those Southwest Conference championships. There were more than two dozen. Those were the days.

Shifting my gaze to the stadium's rim on the east side, noting the national titles -- 1963, 1969, 1970, 2005 -- I nodded affirmation to the proud list of those superlative teams. But as my eyes moved right, i faced a jarringly barren spot for recognition. Only three Longhorn squads are cited as Big XII champs. Stark reality.

One, the '96 squad, won it in the conference's inaugural season, thanks to James Brown to Derek Lewis on "Roll Left," a big, successful pass play on a gutsy, fourth-down John Mackovic call in Texas territory. Priest Holmes got the payoff TD on an eleven-yard run and Texas had the upset win of the collegiate year, downing mighty Nebraska, 37-27.

Texas earned two more conference titles in the next thirteen years, including the VY nattie in '05 and the heartbreak cold shoulder of Colt McCoy in '09. In the ensuing unlucky thirteen seasons, Texas has no conference titles. Startling. Embarrassing.

It might be even worse than it sounds. Chew on this, Bevo.

In the past three years, six different conference teams -- count 'em, six -- have played for all the conference marbles in the title game. Here's the roll call: Oklahoma. Iowa State. Baylor. Oklahoma State. Kansas State. TCU.

All six were ranked in the top ten at kickoff. Texas was never there.

That has to change. Texas got the very last Southwest Conference title in '95, beating A&M

in the regular season finale in College Station.

They'd better capture their last shot at uno mas Big XII championship in December '23. Beyond that, the SEC looms large. Scary large.

Texas has been the biggest underachiever in college football for a full quarter-century plus one.

John Mackovic saw the door, less than a year after the glory of "Roll Left," no thanks to "Rout 66," the 66-3 beatdown by a winless UCLA team in '97. Mack Brown had a good run for sixteen years but couldn't hit the curveball often enough against OU's Bob Stoops, and carried home just two conference crowns. Charlie Strong was 3-for-3 in losing seasons, Tom Herman won four bowl games in four seasons but couldn't dig up a title, and Steve Sarkisian is 13-12.

The truth hurts.

This month, a story in The Athletic punctuated UT's failure to develop talent.

The publication took raw data from an eleven-year span of recruiting and the NFL draft.

Among programs studied, those with enough highly recruited signees, Texas finished dead last.

Only four of the Horns' 17 five-star guys were even drafted, and just 17 of 46 four-star players were selected by NFL teams. The participating writers for The Athletic summed it up this way: "That's the epitome of doing less with more," Then they dropped the mic by noting that, going into this spring's NFL draft -- with Bijan Robinson selected eighth by Atlanta -- the most recent offensive player for the Horns to get picked as a first rounder was Vince Young, 17 years ago. Ouch.

Time for the Longhorns to live up to the name on their jerseys and win big in '23.

No excuses.

Look up and down the roster. Even more so than usual, Texas has the hosses.

All shortcomings of recruiting services aside, there's some truth in those star-spangled rankings of five-star and four-star potential. We've witnessed the likes of Alabama, Georgia and Ohio State

parlaying standout signing classes into multiple national championships.

Texas -- and Texas A&M -- haven't had much to show for all their touted classes.

Likely, there's been a dearth of development of the talent. And maybe, just maybe, Texas high school recruits get an extra star by their names just because they hail from the magical, mystical land of Friday Night Lights.

Still, some serious college football analysts think Texas this year has more talent than any program in its "quarterback room," with Quinn Ewers, Maalik Murphy and young Arch Manning.

The receivers? More proven and potentially excellent players than one could dream of.

Bijan Robinson can't be instantly replaced but there is absolutely a wealth of excellence available.

Defensively, the Horns have plenty of Texas-sized troops and touted ballers.

An OU team that Texas beat by a record-setting 49-0 margin will be eager for revenge.

But can the Sooners improve that much from their worst season since '98?

Will TCU ever scale the heights it did last season?

Can defending champion K-State repeat? Hey, UT beat the champions last season, anyway.

Will Mike Gundy find a QB to replace Spencer Sanders?

Texas barely escaped Baylor and lost to Texas Tech. Both should be better. But...so what?

Maybe Iowa State, WVU and Kansas will be saltier.

And then there's BYU, Houston, Cincinnati and UCF. Don't sleep on them but....

It should be interesting when this version of the conference tees it up for its only season as presently set, with Texas and OU daring to sink, swim or die in the shark-infested waters of the SEC in '24.

Fans and prognosticators have staggered in circles after almost yearly preseason shot glasses of burnt orange Kool-Aid over the years. We have been slipped "the Mickey" more than a few times. And today's handsome UT roster could get uglied a bit by the portal. Or it might get even better.

Texas football has to look itself in the mirror. Stop short of admiring how good everyone looks in the sharp threads. Don't bank on all the NIL riches just yet.

The most overrated, underachieving "blue blood" family in college ball must deliver.

Don't just play up to Alabama's talent. Don't play down to the teams that don't have your talent, your depth, your endless supply of as yet untapped potential.

So we're back to the necessity to develop the big names into certifiable pro prospects in order to keep up with the best collegiate programs.

Buckle your chinstraps, Horns. In the immortal words of the NFL commandment from the Raiders' late boss, Al Davis, "Just win, Baby."

TLSN TLSN TLSN TLSN TLSN

SEARCH THE SITE BY NAME:

DECEASED LAST NAME A - F
    WWI AND WWII -IN FLANDERS FIELD
    1974 PARKER ALFORD
    2016 DANNY AKERS
    2018 JIM ACHILLES NOV. 7TH 2018
    2021 COACH FRED AKERS
    HANK BAUERSCHLAG - BASKETBALL
    2022 - MIKE BEARD
    2017 DANNY BEARDEN
    2019 CEDRIC BENSON SHARES A SPECIAL MOMENT WITH HIS TEAMMATES.
    2021 JIM BERTELSEN- FOOTBALL
    2021 RANDY BISHOP-FOOTBALL
    2021 COACH BLACK
    2017 STEPHEN BLAKE DAVIS
    2020 CLAIR BRANCH
    2018 REMEMBERING DON BURRISK
    2020 ROBERT FENTON BROCK
    2023- CLEVE BRYANT
    2016 COLLIN CAMPBELL -MIKE CAMPBELL'S FAMILY
    2022 DERYL COMER
    2022 JEFF CONWAY
    2017 GREG DAHLBERG
    2017 SPIKE DYKES- DECEASED- AVOID FLYING BALONEY BY MARK MCDONALD
    2006- JOE DIXON
    2021 COACH BARRY DOWD BASKETBALL
    SHANE DRONETT
    2020 FREDDIE EDWARDS
    1971 RALPH ELLIOTT
    2021 LARRY FALK - MANAGER
    2021 TOMMY FORD -FOOTBALL
    2020 JACK FREEMAN

DECEASED LAST NAME G- L
    2017 HOLLIS GAINEY
    2021 LIONEL GARR 12-20-20
    2021 RAGAN GENNUSA FOOTBALL
    2020 EDDIE GILBERT
    2016 JOE BOB GOLDEN GOLF
    2021 COACH CARIE GRAVES -
    1962 REGGIE GROB
    2022 BOBBY GURWITZ
    2023 COACH CLIFF GUSTAFSON
    COACH GUS HEALTH STATUS
    DAVID HALL - BASEBALL
    2021 CHUCK HARTENSTEIN- BASEBALL
    2022 HANS HELLAND
    1956 ED HAWKINS
    2019 JEFF HELLER SWIMMING
    2022 CARTER HILL - FOOTBALL
    2021 JIM HILLIARD-FOOTBALL
    2021 BILL HINKLE - TENNIS
    2020 LYNN HOWDEN
    2022 TIFFANY JACKSON
    2017 BILL JOHNSON - SWIMMING 1943
    2018 DODD JOHNSON
    2019 JOHNNY LAM JONES
    2020 T-JONES
    1973 CARL JOHNSON TRACK
    2018 DAVID MICHAEL KEETON
    PADEN KELLEY ON MARCH 18 2019 PASSED AWAY.
    2022 SAM KENDRICKS DIVING
    2012 MIKE KORTH
    2016 MARVIN KUBIN
    2021 PETE LAMMONS-FOOTBALL
    2021 BOBBY LACKEY FOOTBALL
    2020 JUDY LACKEY
    2022 JAMES LANE- 1989-1992
    1894 DICK LEE
    DANNY LESTER LOST TOO SOON

• Like Like x 4
  2. guy4321

guy4321 2,500+ Posts

Texas should have won every Big 12 or at least come close.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. EDT

EDT 1,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  4. Hoop

Hoop 500+ Posts

I'll believe it when I see it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

Good job, well written.

I think things will not be as easy going forward. Recruiting dominance will have less impact with the free agency movement of players, coupled with the NIL. Championship calibre teams are being built in a year as evidenced by recent basketball and baseball teams coming out of nowhere to win big games. Never before has game day coaching and player development, and loyalties, been more important. Parity in talent is increasing and fan expectations need to be in line with these changes. Those Texas fans’ expectations were more realistic in the previous years you mention, but talent was unfortunately pissed away by failures to maintain consistencies in the coaching ranks.

Going forward coaches will need to be very, very good to earn their keep. Don’t you think?

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: May 5, 2023
  6. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

• Like Like x 3
  7. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

big12.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Given that their keep is $5MM+ per year, yes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. 1sahorn

1sahorn 1,000+ Posts

Hate to say it, but Castiglione's comments about Texas & Oklahoma's intent to continue to be respectful, positive contributing members of the Big XII were pretty classy. Beats the HELL out of the way nebraska, mizzou & aggy left...shooting the finger & mooning everyone as they exited. Can't really complain about Colorado's exit...they were pretty silent. Glad blOU & UT are taking the high road out of town.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

I don't care much about the 1st round draft picks stat.

Our 2nd best team of the past 25 years was led on offense by Colt McCoy, Quan Cosby, Jordan Shipley, and Chris Ogbonnaya. Not one of them was a high draft pick (3rd, UDFA, 3rd, 7th, respectively).

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1