Texas to Stay in Big 12?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by stanhin, Jun 14, 2010.

1. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

Is there no chance Texas can or could go it alone as an independent?

[​IMG]

2. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

3. HousHorn09

HousHorn09 2,500+ Posts

4. stanhin

stanhin 5,000+ Posts

5. stanhin

stanhin 5,000+ Posts

I am twitter illiterate, but here is a link to Billy Liucci's twitter page, and a couple of the recent posts seem to indicate A&M is going with the stay with the Big 12 (10) option, although, as I said, I don't really know how to read twitter posts, so I don't know if those are from Billy or some anonymous readers of his site

Link

"Gene Stallings en route to College Station ... I'd be surprised if the Big 12 deal does NOT work at this point"

"Aggie brass to meet this afternoon ... momentum moving heavily towards A&M staying in 10-team Big 12"

6. stanhin

stanhin 5,000+ Posts

7. stanhin

stanhin 5,000+ Posts

8. Rio Frio

Rio Frio 250+ Posts

9. Mobyhorn

Mobyhorn 250+ Posts

This is what I'm getting, too: the disparate reports of these two. Is it possible that Chip's reports have something to do with increasing the number of Orangeblood memberships? Is Shad's "fact" checking unreliable? Anyway, I'm not buying any memberships during this process.

10. Dude

Dude 1,000+ Posts

11. Kaiser Sose

Kaiser Sose 100+ Posts

12. 1leggedduck

1leggedduck 1,000+ Posts

The real shame of all this is that OU, UT and aggie could have gotten together and cooked up all this and used it to leverage a great deal from the new super conference they all intended to join all along. That would have been the way to go at this situation, but that kind of cooperation and coordination between programs will not happen.

13. kgp

kgp 1,000+ Posts

Assume the money is good with the new B12-2 deal, because I don't think we would abandon the promising Pac arrangement for chump change. That really leaves the following big +/-s from my standpoint with staying.

PRO
    1. Keep rivalries intact, score a few loyalty points with pols
    2. CCG gone (remember, money still good). We lose a little chance to get onto radar late in the season, but TEXAS better not often need help getting on voters' radars.
    3. Infuriates aggy. Maybe this shouldn't be all the way down at 3.
    4. Opportunity better to develop BevoD before its value comes up again in future negotiations
    5. Avoid SEC slime, BTel couchburners and weather, Washington commutes

CONs
    1. Loss of potential conference prestige. Could well make us the Auburn next time there are three or more unbeatens
    2. Loss of opportunity to help move into Asia/Pacific rim markets
    3. Loss of opportunity to associate with great research universities, especially compared to BTel
    4. We may not be on top of the world next time negotiations occur-- the proverbial iron is hot now.
    5. Increased games against and travel to boring far-off Midwest schools that used to be confined to their own division
    6. Lack of long-term stability and conference loyalty

14. kgp

kgp 1,000+ Posts

Yeah, Eric, my Cons are not well ordered for priority now that I look at them.

15. PropositionJoe

PropositionJoe 2,500+ Posts

16. utempire

utempire 1,000+ Posts

If aggy claims they care about academics then they really don't belong in the sec. The sec's academic standards for athletes are very low. They would have to lower their standard to even come close to competing there. My take now is UT should go to the big 10 because eventually ND will be there. The pac-10 is on the down slide. I don't mind keeping the big 12 together as long as we add 2 top caliber schools but that doesn't look too promising.

17. rreading

rreading 100+ Posts

irrespective of the pros/cons of the situation, how ironic would it be that the Big 10 would be comprised of 12 teams; and that the Big 12 would then be 10 teams.

If for no other reason, this should not happen.

If it does, it just points out the absurdity of the college football conferences.

18. triplehorn

triplehorn 2,500+ Posts

19. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

It's going to be terribly disappointing if nothing happens after all this. I was looking forward to the PAC 16. The thought of being in the hunt for the Rose Bowl every year appealed to me.

We're like Joaquin Phoenix in "Two Lovers". We had the bags packed and were ready to run off with Gwyneth Paltrow, but she didn't show. So, we go back and marry the nice, plain Jane Jewish girl (i.e. aggy) that Mom and Dad had picked out for us. Safe, but not exciting.

20. warrior

warrior 2,500+ Posts

A TV Contract could be Signed Today for the remaining Big 12 teams which will now be what the New SWC? Teams will make double or triple the money they were making? Big 12 losing Nebraska in Football will not be that Strong IMO. I am not sure how I feel about it? Makes sense Money Wise, traveling to the Northwest Costs alot of money so staying close to home makes sense. Not sure about the overall quality of the remaining Big 12 teams? Losing Colorado probably makes the Big 12 stronger?

21. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

I heard someone say this is an 18 year contract for like $17M a year?

How is $17M going to look in 18 years? Or in 10, or even 5?

How long ago did the SEC get their $17M?

If true, this has bad idea written all over it. Anyone else have more/better info?

22. kgp

kgp 1,000+ Posts

18 year contract with Big12-2 != 18 year commitment from TEXAS to Big 12-2. Relax. Powers and Dodds did not both have major strokes overnight. They aren't looking to sign a significantly worse deal than they already had just to please Branch or Stallings. Let's see how this shakes out.

23. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

Yeah, kgp, i can't see how that could be true.

24. Dude

Dude 1,000+ Posts

The tiered payment system should be:

1. Texas

2. OU and aTm

3. the rest

25. stanhin

stanhin 5,000+ Posts

How does A&M rate as much as OU does?

26. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

More like:

1. Texas
    2. OU
    3. atm
    4. the rest

27. warrior

warrior 2,500+ Posts

Heard Texas, OU and Aggies get 20 million, rest get 14 - 17 million, Texas could get 3 - 5 million more with their own TV deal? Maybe the Big 12 could get Stronger soon by adding other quality teams? How about adding someone like Utah, TCU or Arkansas within 2 years? Why couldn't the Big 12 add 2 to 6 teams in the new 2 or 3 years? Right now the Big 12 is not that Strong in football, it needs to add some quality teams IMO.

28. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

29. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Lucci twits ---

30. Hook 'Em Danno

Hook 'Em Danno 1,000+ Posts

I'm getting tired head...