Texas travels to West Virginia Monday (02/05/18)

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BabHorn, Feb 4, 2018.

1. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

#8/#8 Texas and #21/#21 West Virginia face off in Morgantown Monday. Texas (18-4; 9-2) won at home in the first game, 79/58. WVU (17-6; 5-6) is looking to get a split in the series this season. Overall, Texas leads the series 9-6. Texas had won five games in a row before losing to WVU in the Big 12 tournament last season. The Horns are coming off a 92-65 win over TCU to run their winning streak to three games. Meanwhile, the Mountaineers suffered a 76-57 loss to Oklahoma to run their losing streak to two games.

WVU MOUNTAINEERS
    The Mountaineers current starters are the top five scorers. They are led by Naomi Davenport (#0, 6-0 Jr. G/F) at 18.5 ppg, Teana Muldrow (#11, 6-1 Sr. F) adding 17.5 ppg and Chania Ray (#12, 5-8 Sr. G) averaging 11.8 ppg as the three in double digit scoring. Kristina King (#13, 6-3 Sr. F) provides 9.5 ppg inside. Add in fifth starter Katrina Pardee (#22, 5-9 Jr. G) to the mix and those five have made and taken 246 of 617 FGs. WVU as a team has made and attempted 279 of 681 FGs. That’s 91.1% of made FGs and 90.6% of FGs attempted. Pardee (22-67; 32.8%), Davenport (27-65; 41.5%) and Ray (18-58; 31.0%) are the primary three point shooters. Muldrow (10-37; 27.0%) also presents a threat from BTA. Ashley Jones (#1, 5-7 Fr. G) is the only other player to have taken a 3pter, hitting 7 of 17 for 41.2%. Ray is the best FT shooter on the team, having made 32 of 39 FTs (82.1%). Muldrow is the best at getting to the FT line (32-45; 71.1%). Pardee (20-27; 74.1%) and Davenport (29-41; 70.7%) also make good use of their chances at the FT line.

Muldrow (9.6 rpg), Davenport (7.4 rpg) and King (7.1 rpg) provide the bulk of WVU’s 36.8 rpg. Ray excels in setting up her teammates with 5.1 apg. Davenport adds 2.7 apg while Pardee and Jones each averages 2.2 apg. Davenport (2.5 spg), Ray (2.0 spg) and Muldrow (1.7 spg) lead five players who average at least one steal per game. Muldrow is the leading shot blocker at 1.7 bpg while King ranks second with 1.3 bpg.

After missing four games, including the first game vs Texas, King has played in the last eight games and has replaced Theresa Ekhelar (#34, 6-6 RS Jr. C) in the starting lineup. Davenport, Muldrow, Pardee and Ray have started all 11 Big 12 games for the Mountaineers. All five average over 31 mpg with Ray (39.3 mpg) and Muldrow (37.3 mpg) at the top. Jones, Ekhelar and Destiny Harden (#3, 6-0 Fr. F/G) serving as the primary reserves. Nia Staples (#4, 5-9 RS Fr. G) has seen action in two Big 12 games.

TEXAS LONGHORNS
    Texas is led by their starting backcourt in scoring: LaShann (16.8 ppg), Ariel (15.4 ppg) and Brooke (12.5 ppg). They are the only players to have broken into triple digits in FGs attempted: LaShann (69-114, 60.5%), Ariel (62-118, 52.5%) and Brooke (49-138, 35.5%). They account for 54.2% of made FGs and 49.8% of FGs attempted. Add in Alecia’s contributions and those percentages jump to 61.4% of FGs made and 58.3% of FGs attempted. As our guards go, usually so does the team. It’s no surprise that those four guards are the primary 3pt threats on the team. Brooke has the most treys made and attempted (14-53, 26.4%). LaShann is the most accurate from BTA (10-25, 40.0%). Ariel (13-36, 36.1%) and Alecia (6-25, 24.0%) are the other two 3pt shooters. I am waiting for Khaléann (1-2, 50.0%) and Rellah (4-6, 66.7%) to show that they are also viable 3pt threats as they get more games under their belts. Texas has three players in the top 11 in FT%: Ariel is at #2 (32 35, 91.4%). Brooke is at #3 (26 29, 89.7%). LaShann comes in at #11 ( 37 49, 75.5). If Alecia had enough attempts, she would rank #10 at 76.5% (13-17).

Texas rebounds as a group with five players averaging at least 4 rpg. Ariel’s 6.7 rpg tops the quintet. Jatarie and Joyner each contributes 5.5 rpg. Brooke adds 5.1 rpg. Audrey-Ann grabs 4.2 rpg while swatting away 2.4 shots a game. Ariel’s ten blocks (0.9 bpg) is second on the team. Brooke (4.6 apg), Ariel (3.0 apg) and LaShann (2.4 apg) are the top distributers. In steals, Ariel (3.1 spg), LaShann (1.9 spg) and Brooke (1.2 spg) are the best on the team.

Ariel, Brooke, Jatarie and LaShann have started all 11 league games with Audrey-Ann joining them for ten starts. Seven players have played in all eleven games while two others have played in ten games. Thirteen of the fourteen players have seen action in at least four league games. Destiny, recently cleared from an injury, has yet to get into a game. Brooke (32.4 mpg) and Ariel (30.5 mpg) are the most likely to be on the court. While those minutes are high compared to their teammates , those two are 15th (Brooke) and 22nd (Ariel) in the Big 12 in minutes played per conference game.

LINEUPS
    Projected starting lineups are based on the last game played.
    upload_2018-2-4_16-36-50.png

In the last game between the two, WVU had yet to get King back while Joyner still had not rounded into form after sitting out the first semester. King in the last eight games and Joyner especially in the last three games have been vital parts of their teams’ rotation. King provides another tall post to help counter Texas’ height inside. Audrey-Ann has increased her defensive intensity and Joyner has become another important part of the post rotation for Texas. Rellah returned to playing Saturday. King has added rebounding and depth at the post for WVU. The Horns should still have the advantage inside in depth as WVU does not have the depth to counter Joyner and Rellah when they come in off the bench. Joyner provides another player to defend Muldrow. WVU had no real answer for Rellah when she was in the game. That should continue to be a problem for WVU, especially when she is paired with Joyner.

Our guards had trouble with WVU as the Mountaineers had 15 steals and forced 24 TOs. However, WVU’s frontcourt was unable to be efficient in scoring as Davenport took 25 shots to score 20 pts and Ray needed 16 shots to total 15 pts.

Re the frosh: Hope to see Chasity get some minutes in this one as part of a five guard rotation. I really would like to see Destiny get her feet wet in a Big 12 game. I do not doubt that we see Rellah, especially given her success in the first game between the two.

STATS COMPARISON
    Team stats are for Big 12 games only.
    upload_2018-2-4_16-51-3.png
    upload_2018-2-4_16-52-57.png
    upload_2018-2-4_16-55-2.png

Both teams like to run although Texas does it a bit faster. WVU is more reliant on the 3pter than are the Horns. Just under a third of the Mountaineers’ made FGs come from BTA. Texas should dominate inside, especially with the addition of Joyner and Rellah to throw into the mix inside. WVU is not deep inside with only King and Ekhelar 6-3 or taller. Muldrow at 6-1 is the only other player taller than 6-0 available to play inside.

The Horns will need to take better care of the ball than they did in the first game against WVU when the Mountaineers had 15 steals and forced 24 TOs.

While WVU does not normally average a big crowd, I expect there will be a larger than normal crowd for this game. It should be one of the more raucous the Horns play in front of this season.

Game time versus West Virginia is 6 PM CST. The game will be on Fox Sports 1.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  2. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

http://texassports.com/news/2018/2/4/no-8-womens-basketball-preview-no-21-west-virginia.aspx

Mountaineers looking to fill up their arena.
    http://wvusports.com/news/2018/2/4/womens-basketball-mountaineers-longhorns-set-for-rematch.aspx?path=wbball
    Our three seniors are playing well.
    https://www.hookem.com/story/texas-hopes-momentum-continues-road-game-west-virginia/
    http://www.dominionpost.com/2-5-wvu-rup

3. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Hopefully we will be able to shake off any effects from the quick turnaround and long travel to keep the energy and momentum going from Saturday.

• Like Like x 1
  4. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

At the start of the video, Aston says Sutton will not play. Mentioned she got banged up in UCONN game and is being held out for precautionary reasons. I initially thought that might be an old video but guess not. Opens up several options for discussion.....glad it’s only 2 hours till game time.

• Like Like x 1
  5. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

“... Audrey-Ann Caron-Goudreau, has quietly become an effective enforcer. Even though she was held scoreless at Kansas, the 6-4 forward was the game’s “key player” for her defense and hustle, Aston said. On Saturday, she recorded a career-high six blocked shots against TCU as the Loghorns avenged last month’s 79-77 loss to the Horned Frogs in Forth Worth.

Caron-Goudreau leads the team with 32 blocked shots for the season.”

:bevo:

• Like Like x 2
  6. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

What video are you referencing? Sug has played a couple of games since a UConn. Seems odd that game would be referenced now.

• Like Like x 1
  7. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

going back to check box scores, Sug did sit out the Tech game immediately following the UConn game.

Hope she didn't get hurt vs TCU and Coach just was thinking about the previous injury.

We will find out soon.

8. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Not that it means she will play, but it looks like Sug is participating in pre game warmups.

• Like Like x 1
  9. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Texas very aggressive going to the rack and drawing fouls.

• Like Like x 3
  10. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Very nice win!! Way to go, ladies. :yippee:

• Like Like x 3
  11. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

:bevo: #40MinutesStrong

• Like Like x 6
  12. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

very solid win after a poor defensive first quarter. Made the adjustment and stopped dropping down from the perimeter and leaving open the WVU guards.

Way to win on the road, Horns!! :bow:

• Like Like x 9
  13. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Loved it!

Jatarie continues to get better and better each game; she made some offensive moves today that I don't recall saying before. Really happy Coach A convinced her to choose Texas after leaving South Carolina.

Audrey-Anne will always give her hardest effort; it's not always pretty, but she is a very determined young lady who does a lot of the dirty work.

Not sure why Ariel was on the bench more than usual the first three quarters; it certainly wasn't due to foul trouble. She made the most of the minutes she played in the four quarter.

Gotta say, I really enjoy muting the TV and listening to Craig Way (or Roger Wallace) and either Fran Harris or Kathy Harston on the radio (via the free audio streaming on TexasSports.com).

• Like Like x 7
  14. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Jatarie and Audrey-Anne each with 10 rebounds; that's what I like to see.

• Like Like x 10
  15. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

My only concern the last few games is that Lashann seems to be over thinking too much. When she had those games with 20+ points, she just seemed to be playing, and having fun. I just wonder why she's being so tentative lately.

• Like Like x 1
  16. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

Great Job Texas.
    We are peaking at the right time.
    That was a good win on W. Virginia Home court.
    Hookem'

• Like Like x 4
  17. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I will have to go back and watch the replay, but I kept thinking to myself that our guards did a very good job of attacking the rim and getting inside the paint, but they weren't settling for jump shots. They either dished off to a post player, or kicked it back out again. Seemed like only Ariel was taking jump shots, and she had her shooting touch tonight (including the first basket of the game and that surge at the end of the game).

• Like Like x 5
  18. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

Ariel was great tonight.
    Great Job Coaching Staff, developing this young lady talent.
    She is just Outstanding.
    Keep working Ariel.
    Hookem'

• Like Like x 4
  19. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Good win. And as DINO22 said we are peaking at the right time. Really good shooting percentages and assists totals. Also more importantly decent turnover numbers. Good to see our front court play also improving. I think that they will be the determining factor in how the rest of the season unfolds. Texas needs to continue to be consistent.

• Like Like x 3
  20. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Someone with a better memory, please comment as to recent use of full-court presses. Perhaps we have done it more than I think, but in recent games the press has been aggressive and effective. It speeds up both the opposition AND the Horns. We play much better in the full court running from the defensive end plus taking the opposition out of its usual half-court offense. The energy level is WAY up recently and it appears the press is a huge piece. It will be very interesting if Aston keeps doing it and how it effects Baylor next game. Am I imagining this?

• Like Like x 4
  21. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Glad Sutton played. The video is on home page of Hornfans.com and texassports.com on our “guard play”. Apparently recorded earlier and just posted today. Wish they wouldn’t do that....I am easily confused.

• Like Like x 2
  22. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Mike Carey was not happy.

• Like Like x 2
  23. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

No he was not. :popcorn:

24. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

I can't seem to get the game on FM 105.3 here in Lockhart. Only get country music on that station when the game is supposed to on. I miss not getting the halftime and post game shows. :idk:

25. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

In Cedar Park, I can't get good reception on the radio. So, I do the audio streaming now via TexasSports.com; crystal clear.

• Like Like x 2
  26. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

I like Mike Carey. Think he is a good coach. And I think he will get those good players in the future.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  27. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

Even though WV loses Muldrow next year, they will be extremely tough and talented with Martin returning and Kysre Gondrezick being eligible to play after sitting out a year.

• Like Like x 2
  28. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

There was a play by Joyner tonight that really stood out to me. She missed a shot under the basket and fell out of bounds, WV got the rebound and drove down the court. Aston yelled at Joyner to get up and get down to the other end. Joyner sprints down the court and blocks a shot and we got the ball back. That was a true hustle play by Joyner. I've noticed that she is gradually getting her swagger back. She's not yet scoring a lot of points but she's getting more comfortable and is competing for rebounds and blocks. She's also doing a nice job of dishing the ball off for assists.

Tonight, I think the team fed off of Ariel's energy and determination in the 4Q. It was the first time this year I sensed that a player took the team on their back and wasn't going to let the lead slip away.

One other random observation, a few games ago, someone posted that Ariel and Brooke rarely have strong performances during the same game. Thankfully, they are starting to sync up and are playing strong at the same time.

• Like Like x 7
  29. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Thanks, Moooooo. I will try that next road game.

In the AAS write up about the win, found this gem:
    Hadn't realized the team played that many games. Must have had a couple of doubleheaders in there somewhere. :yes:

• Like Like x 7
  30. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts