Texas vs Iowa St

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by Zig72, Feb 15, 2022.

1. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

It’s just math. The person who takes the most shots isn’t necessarily the best shooter. And now that you have narrowed down your definition to “perimeter” shooting then I can tell you Matharu is our second best.

Of course, if you want to talk all-around best player then it gets even more complicated because different coaches and fans value different aspects of a player’s game.

Finally, you actually made my point. Post players should have the best shooting percentage. Hence, if you are a coach (or a former coach like I am) you want to see post players get more touches even if that doesn’t necessarily turn into more shots. If you played for me, nothing got you on the bench faster than rushing a shot.

Interestingly enough, we have gotten much better in the last few games at attacking the zone and we didn’t do it by increasing our perimeter shooting.

I appreciate your posts as well and am not trying to be an a-hole but the whole Sky King to Penny routine is insulting. I agree with the spirit of your post, but facts are facts.

Matharu is indeed a valuable player and her playing well is important to our success. But her playing well doesn’t necessarily equal more minutes or more shots. It means sticking to the game plan the entire time you are on the court albeit for 5 minutes, 25 minutes or 40 minutes.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2022
  2. BBV_Horn

BBV_Horn 1,000+ Posts

YES!! And the Jones played all THREE games that we beat them in!!:yippee:

• Like Like x 3
  3. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

You live by the three. You die by the three.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Bobcat

Bobcat 500+ Posts

And I find some of your methods as an “attempt” at being insulting as well so we are even there. It was not my intention... If your experience as a “coach” doesn’t allow you the discernment to see how valuable Matharu is, AND, more importantly, that she is indeed our best outside threat, I can’t help you with that one. OR that my point ALL ALONG was about our lack of consistent outside shooting AND how that affects our ability to effectively attack zone and man defenses. I promise you are in the minority if you believe someone else other than Hunter (whom Vic won’t play) is a better outside threat than Matharu. I thought I sufficiently made my point about “spreading” the floor against man and zone defenses. The mere threat of more accurate outside shooting is enough to not allow defenses to COLLAPSE, whether you attempt 3s or not, thus making the dribble drive AND attacking the zone far more effective. Putting Holle who not only garners respect with her 3 point shot, but provides more athleticism and quickness off the bounce at the 3 spot has indeed been a big part of our ability to better attack the zone AND man defenses. Harmon, JAT and Warren have all been reluctant to take wide open 3s until recently, while FORCING and TELEGRAPHING their passes into our post players, thus resulting in needless turnovers. Doesn’t matter if post players take higher percentage shots if you carelessly turn the ball over FORCING it into them because you lack consistent outside threats. Sounds like a philosophy from “days gone by”. Nice to see the seniors finally play like seniors. It makes us way better...

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2022
  5. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Just because you keep repeating the same wrong thing over and over it doesn’t magically make it right. Math is math. Matharu is, in fact, not our best shooter. She may be your favorite player. Fine with me.

Back up this thread a bit. I posted something and you decided that I was missing your point. You were wrong to assume that I was originally concerned about your point.

For what it’s worth, I’d be thrilled if she has a huge game against WV. Whatever gets the win is fine by me.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2022
  6. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

:deadhorse:

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

Apropos of nothing and no-one, I'll remember this thread after the next game we lose.

It will be suggested, yet again, that the loss was entirely attributable to the coach for any number of sins, oft voiced in these threads, and has little to do with the other team being better than our players on that particular night.

• Funny Funny x 3
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2022