Texas vs Kansas State, 12/21 @ 7:00 pm on ESPN+

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by racerx5908, Dec 20, 2020.

1. BALL IS LIFE

BALL IS LIFE 500+ Posts

Lee out of the game and up 8. Need to run every play thru Charlie and let her take it home.

2. Bucksgal

Bucksgal 500+ Posts

Oh my, a 16-2 run...time to freshen my drink...ugh. And, this without their leading scorer.

• Like Like x 1
  3. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

Yup. Ouch, we got us a game.

4. cynt

cynt 1,000+ Posts

Well here we go. A zone is our Achilles heel. Up by 5. Where's that defense we were playing? SMH

5. BALL IS LIFE

BALL IS LIFE 500+ Posts

34 turnovers forced so far. Great defensive effort!

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. Bucksgal

Bucksgal 500+ Posts

Chevalier is going to be so good! Didn't let that mask bother her tonight! So much Brooke McCarty in her!

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 5
  7. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

An ugly win but a win nonetheless! I say we just get back on the plane and move on to the next game.

Chevalier was the player of the game for me. She played absolutely outstanding and really showed up to play. Her defensive effort is the reason we won this game :hookem:

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 3
  8. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Good game, Collier.
    Good game, Chevalier.
    Thank goodness defense travels.
    That's about all I can say about that sh_t show. :(
    A win is a win.

• Like Like x 2
  9. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

Wasn't pretty but a win none the less. Our last 2 games have been against opposite type teams and won both.
    I believe the identity of this team eventually will be defense.
    We're in a transitional year and 6-1 seven games in.
    We do need to improve our 3 point shooting otherwise we may lose a game we shouldn't.
    But I'm liking the trajectory of this team.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  10. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Honestly, I thing Vic likes Kyra for her experience, but Chevalier is a gem. I absolutely love her game!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Glad to get the win, especially since it was our first time playing on the road.

Great (new) strategy by Vic and staff to really defend the inbound passes; that as a whole was the difference in the game as it frustrated KSU, and really allowed us to get some easy points. I'm sure it was intended to speed up the pace of the game, but it really didn't do that when you look at the scoreboard.

Charli bounced back from her effort against Drake. Ebo had some good moments, but it was tough for her tonight compared to the last game. DeYona Gaston never returned to the game, did she, after playing some in the first quarter?

Karisma has to be better from the 3-point line when they are playing off her like tonight; she couldn't buy a bucket tonight.

I believe KSU's run to end the 3rd quarter came after Audrey missed the easy bunny after getting a steal near the KSU basket, and when Chevalier came out of the game in favor of Lambert.

Joanne seemed very tentative early offensively, but was clutch in the fourth quarter.

Audrey gives it her all, but sometimes she tries to do too much (like dribbling in the paint); but, her offense in the 1st quarter really helped us claw our way back into the game.

Chevalier did it all tonight while never slowing down; taking charges, playing incredible defense, and just moving the ball fluidly. Glad to have her back at full strength.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

And, how could I forget stellar free throw shooting? 18-21 for 85.7% was probably the main reason we kept KSU at arms' length down the stretch.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Jacob Johnson

Her energy is just non stop and she only knows go which I love. I felt her pain when she got hit directly in her nose but she kept going and that's the type of player I love to watch!!

• Like Like x 5
  14. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Didn't watch the game, and the score obviously doesn't indicate good offense. Was it not very good offense being ran or just bad shooting?

15. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

• Poor, poor passing by the Longhorns
    • But counter that with even worse inbounding and ball handling from KState
    • Ashley play has really grown into what the coaches want out of her
    • When things were stagnant, putting in Shay was encouraging. Even I said, "Well this should shake things up"
    • She's not a scorer but her pesky effort starts getting the TOs going
    • At half with the big lead, I said "Last year, we would have come out in the second half and blown this lead." My daughter replied, "Oh yeah, definitely"
    • That (I'm coining it) zig-zag inbounding method by KState. Anyone ever see any team ever run this? And second, did it really even do much for them?
    • Surprised that Gaston didn't get more playing time, but I guess the need for speed from from peskier point guards was needed
    • Not thrilled with 17 turnovers, but thrilled with 34 turnovers for KState
    • Last year 16.1 TO/game, ranked 194th
    • This year so far 14.0 TO/game, tied 51st. I'll take that
    • I was thinking during the game, "Gonna win this, but it's not enough to beat Baylor"

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Jacob Johnson

Vic seemed to be pretty pleased with how they played based on his reaction. Still things to work on of course but overall he is excited about the growth of the team. I assume because Vic is a defensive minded coach and I will say this team played very very well on the defensive end. Offense was a little rugged but that's expected from a road game. So I can see where his excitement comes into play.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

It was our first game in someone else's gym and it showed. We turned the ball over nine times in the first quarter alone. We looked nervous and unsure, and rushed ourselves unnecessarily. It was a combination of poor shooting and bad decisions offensively. However, our defense was everything I was hoping it would be and then some.

Collier played a very mature and focused game, and carried us offensively. She kept playing hard the entire game and let things come to her. Chevalier was an absolute PEST defensively... great game! Joanne did some good things as did Audrey and our free throw shooting was VERY good.

All in all, the game went just about the way I figured it would. I just didn't expect us to have so many unforced turnovers. My biggest disappointment was having a 22 point lead midway through the third quarter dwindle down to a five point lead a couple if minutes into the fourth.

Hey, it's a road win and the defense was stellar. But we have to find some better offense against a zone because we'll see a lot of that in the Big XII.
    :hookem2:

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  18. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

Yep. That was one ugly game. I was feeling good about my pregame assessment (Horns should flatten KSU) at the half. Somewhere during the third, things seemed to unravel fast. Glad, of course, to see the Horns gut out the win. It was very interesting to hear Vic’s take. He was overwhelmingly focused on the team’s defensive effort, overall toughness, and progress, which he considers almost miraculous for the he has had with them.

Iowa State hits Austin for a game on Jan 3rd. Glad that game is at home. Team will need to hit more shots. I hope Celeste can play Dec 29th against Lamar to get warmed up and ready to play ISU. And I hope Ashley’s nose continues to heal. When the team was struggling to score, I thought the offensive spacing looked better when Ashley came in the game.

• Like Like x 6
  19. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

After watching Coach Vic's post game presser, I definitely understand his being pleased. Aside from all the things we didn't do so well, the effort and hustle was outstanding. Losing a big lead but not our composure, then being resilient enough to get the game back under our control speaks volumes. It's also a great situational test for us and should boost the team's confidence in themselves and one another. It wasn't pretty but I guess we needed one like that.
    :hookem2:

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  20. BALL IS LIFE

BALL IS LIFE 500+ Posts

If you told me before the game we shoot 34% from the floor and 13% from three point range I would bet we lose by double figures. Not many teams win games by double figures shooting like that. Shows that you actually can win games on the defensive side.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  21. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I never would have believed we could build a 22 point lead on the road without Celeste Taylor, and when struggling mightily from beyond the arc.

It's almost as if Vic knew going into the game that his team was going to have to find a way for its defense to generate offense in order to win; and, that's what happened. We don't win this game struggling offensively without an effective game strategy.

Kudos to the coaching staff for putting the team in a position to be successful last night.

• Agree Agree x 6
  22. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

I missed the game. After reading all the comments, perusing the stat sheet, and listening/watching Collier and Schaeffer, the only comment I have is .....could there be any better two people as the face of Texas Women's Basketball? Collier's potential outside of her basketball career is off the charts. Smart, listener, well spoken, observant, wants to be great, leader, great teammate, etc...........just screams future success. It's just basketball now, but those talents translate well. Must have great parents. I don't know where she will end up, but there is no doubt in my mind that she will be extremely successful wherever life takes her. Schaeffer is the kind of coach that any player would literally die to play for. Collier and Schaeffer. What a tremendous duo to lead this team and be the face of the program. Makes me proud of and for them.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 5
  23. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Since the ESPN+ commentators are pretty much "locals" who are familiar with the host team, they both mentioned how surprised they were with the "intensity" with which Texas was playing; neither could recall that in that past. That's a huge compliment to Vic, staff, and players for putting forth that type of effort.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. BBV_Horn

BBV_Horn 1,000+ Posts

Celeste will not be playing until well after the first of next year...sadly...

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  25. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Celeste has struggled early on this year on offensive, but she was by far the best 3 point shooter on the team last year. Unless a couple of players drastically improve their 3 point shooting while she's out this team is going to struggle mightily on offense.

26. Jacob Johnson

Vic said she will be available after Christmas. Her injury is not serious they just wear the boot for protection. The volleyball team does the same thing with lower leg/ankle injuries. She will be available against Lamar but I don't think Vic will play her simply because of precaution. She might get some minutes to get her back in the flow of the game but I think he wants to make sure she is fully healthy for the Iowa state game because we will need her to play alot in that game.

• Agree Agree x 2
  27. longhorn47

longhorn47 500+ Posts

Whenever I see Vic, I thank CDC. We couldn't have a better WBB coach.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  28. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

Zone teams will give Texas fits..Texas' shooting is over all poor. Coach will need to get some pure shooters in here for Texas to unseat Baylor. Once he does that the sky is the limit until he leaves for A&M.

• poop poop x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  29. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Not until you tell me we're going to score more than half our points off turnovers, then I believe it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  30. Jacob Johnson

He is not leaving for A&M:facepalm: he signed a 7 year contract. I don't know if you think Vic will be coaching forever but I guarantee he is not going to build something here then go start over elsewhere. I promise you he will coach here and once he is ready to retire he will hand the reigns over to his daughter.

Texas has shooters on the team in Ortiz, Taylor, Collier, Allen-taylor, Warren, Lambert. As far as knock down automoatic 3 point shooters probably not but when you speak of Baylor what do they have that Texas doesn't?? I've watched a couple of Baylor games and our defense is much better than their defense. They don't have that muscle power like they used to have with Brown and Cox. Baylor runs straight man defense and she is not going to double team Collier like these other teams because she has too much pride. I don't get what the hype is about with Baylor but I know we can take a game from them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1