Texas vs Maryland Game Thread

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Olehornfan, Sep 1, 2018.

1. EDT

EDT 1,000+ Posts

TH makes $ 96,153.84 per week. If anything he needs to buy all of us at Horn Fans a few lap dances for watching his pathetic product that was put on the field today.

• Like Like x 4
  2. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

I don’t like that reasoning and I hope that’s not what he is being taught

3. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Yes he is very bullheaded. When asked in the presser if he (Herman) had any doubts about Sam being the "one" start at QB, Herman emphatically said "None at all."
    Either he is lying to protect Sam's ego, or he is blind, or he is dumb or he is bullheaded to a fault. Someone posted a few days ago about the time years ago when DKR pulled his prize QB recruit, Bill Bradley, because he was not getting it done. It took great courage to realize Bill wasn't it, that Royal had been wrong, and a change had to be made. But DKR had the good sense, the courage to make the change. And it paid off.

I see nothing in TH to lead me to believe he has the courage and the intelligence to admit he needs to make a change.

We know Shane can produce. He did very well in his freshman year. He has the arm. He has a decent line and some RB's with talent. He deserves a shot.

• Like Like x 2
  4. militaryhorn

militaryhorn Prediction Contest Manager

He forgot to mention the guy was open and he threw a bad pass WAY over his receiver's head. That might be a reason we lost.

I don't mind taking chances and in fact LJH was open for a slightly high pass. Just so happens that the pass was too high.

• Like Like x 1
  5. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

You did not see the same game I did. I saw incompetent play calling. Incompetent use of personnel, poor defensive calls. Blaming Strong's in any way, any way at all now, is a somewhat weird excuse at this time.

TH is not doing a good job. Period.

• Like Like x 2
  6. EDT

EDT 1,000+ Posts

Did Tim Beck call all of the plays or did TH call any %? I did not see the presser. I was in the bathroom trying to throw this memory up.

7. utempire

utempire 1,000+ Posts

There's nothing TH can say that would make anyone happy after this loss so it doesn't bother me with his comments. All there is results on the field.

8. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

This^^^.

9. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

This, sadly, is true. I really think we will rebound and win. And win comfortably. On the other hand, I think that if Tulsa played Maryland 10 times, Tulsa would win 3 or 4 of them. And if we played Maryland 10 times I think we win 5 of them.

So that translates to yes, Tulsa is good enough to beat us, especially if we have 10+ penalties for over 100 yds, and throw ints on critical drives, fumble on crucial drives, and give up big plays that keep Tulsa's drives alive.

10. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

It wouldn't make me happy, but it would raise my confidence level in his sanity if he would say on Tuesday, "Shane will start against Tulsa. Sam will be available to go in if needed. Riser is pushing for playing time and might see the field, depending on the score, and situation.

11. LHABSOB

LHABSOB 1,000+ Posts

Quote from a guy in the bar in Maryland tonight. "Our program is in turmoil and it's not easy to win without your head coach. Good thing the Terps scheduled 3 cupcakes to open the season." I have no response.

• Like Like x 1
  12. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

Nah redshirt em....with this set of players you’ll get 8 wins, tops.....have to get a good base going and then solidify....since 2010 we’ve been struggling...

13. Olehornfan

Olehornfan 2,500+ Posts

365 days until kickoff.

• Like Like x 6
  14. Buck-Horn

Buck-Horn Guest

OK, just gotta release my raging thoughts off of my chest....I feel better now!

• Like Like x 1
  15. zuckercanyon

But we didn’t really kick it in the butt last year....what new players were going to start playing better and help us win?

16. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Let me tell you, had he thrown deep left receiver was wide open. Not sure but think it was Heard. He just does not, or is not able to look around. Maybe it's a lack of 'feel' but whatever he doesn't pick the most open receiver very often. One more thought,

• Like Like x 1
  17. AustinHorn24

AustinHorn24 250+ Posts

What's really disappointing to me is that it appears Ehlinger has learned absolutely nothing from last year. He's the same exact QB that he used to be.

The only way he can be a dynamic player is in the QB power run game. He's way too inconsistent in his throwing ability and decision making.

• Like Like x 2
  18. yelladawgdem

yelladawgdem 2,500+ Posts

There are now 14+ posts announcing the stunning news that this team could be (pick your number), "0-6. 1-5, 3-3, etc" heading into Baylor. How, could this possibly be a surprise to anyone? I got slapped around on another thread for saying this team and staff had 1991 written all over it. Out played, out motivated, out hustled, out coached.

The Tom Herman you see on the sideline and the presser's, is who Tom Herman is. Nothing is going to change that. If he were 12-2 instead of 7-7 in his first 14 games, he would still be the same......just much more tolerable.

No offensive identity. Can't or won't run off tackle. A passing game that does not appear to have a scheme. And how 'bout them special teams??

Am I incredibly disappointed? Yes, at every level. Am I incredibly surprised? No, not at any level. The ceiling on this team was 8. Sadly, Maryland was one of the 8. They will beat someone they should not and lose to someone (else) they should not (think John Mackovic).

Maybe running that Mack Brown guy off wasn't such a great idea.

Hook Em.

:deadhorse::hookem2:

• Like Like x 5
  19. zuckercanyon

YDD, I hear ya....Mack was phoning it in, and we all thought hope and change was the answer....like getting rid of Fred Akers......

• Like Like x 2
  20. utempire

utempire 1,000+ Posts

He doesn't see it because he doesn't step into the pocket. If he doesn't start doing that then Shane needs to play much more.

21. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Very few QBs, when chased out of the pocket to one side of the field, will spot an open guy deep down on the opposite sideline.

• Like Like x 1
  22. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Well they are that much older. So you hope to see improvement.

• Like Like x 1
  23. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

1) I supported giving Sam the entire game. Just heard Shipley on the Longhorn post game show say they probably needed to do that to give Sam the chance to win the game to see if he can; either he does or he doesn't. Now we know.
    2) Shipley also asked why Ingram never came back after his good running and touchdown. Is that true? Kind of like abandoning the 2-minute offense. It's as if they have no self-awareness of what works for them and what works against them (self-scouting).
    3) Herman saying it doesn't feel like last year to him. How can he say that? It feels exactly like last year to me.
    4) Herman's arrogance seems to be built around the Mensa thing, the hot wife and the fact that he's a millionaire. He is comparing himself to normal people and not the people he needs to compare himself to meaning the successful elite people in his profession. Having arrogance over his achievements to date tells me that psychologically he does not have the make-up to handle life at the highest level. It's as if he is already satisfied.

• Like Like x 5
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  24. Horn87

Horn87 1,000+ Posts

maybe we dont need to start the season with a Power 5 game and start with a cupcake like aggy...

25. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

I’m afraid Tom Herman is no different than Charlie Strong. Coaching at Louisville and Houston is different than a major program. I hoped both had it, but neither did/does. Can’t blame administration for either hire, but both were a miss.

We are at least 5 years from relevancy in college football. I’m scared we are becoming Nebraska.

• Like Like x 5
  26. Buck-Horn

Buck-Horn Guest

I say start Shane next week and he if looks like more of the same, go to the Freshmen. I mean the list of successful freshmen at other programs is more than evident. My opinion is SH & SB are soon to be relics. I have heard nothing on Thompson....is he still a QB? He’s the only one on the roster with a true dual threat skill, if I’m not mistaken. What the hell do we have to lose?!?

Herman is at the poker tournament with almost no chips left. He has GOT to make a bold move now....fire Beck, go the the frosh QB’s, threaten jobs, whatever. I know there are those here who won’t push the panic button and maybe they’re right. But, today was one of the darkest days in my nearly 60 yrs of following UT football.....yes, darker than the Mackovic years! Bottomline is Herman MUST send a loud message that this POS football culture is over. He needs to reach down deep for his inner “Nick Saban” and impose his will to exorcise the futilty that has been embraced here since 2010!

That’s my HF locker room speech!!!

• Like Like x 3
  27. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Zucker, they can play in 4 games and still redshirt.

• Like Like x 2
  28. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Well I'd love to hear the exact story. How close it came to happening. Who f'd it up and why. The whole thing.

As for Saban I guess I'm just a simple man. I think he would do it better based upon his history and I think he's bigger than Texas right now. If anyone can come in and have the ability to transcend the institutional problems/egos that exist it here it would be him.

29. Longbomb

Longbomb 500+ Posts

I disagree. I think you are forgetting how bad Strong was.

Herman now has 7 losses. No doubt there have been some glaring shortcomings with the team to have that many losses. However in most if not all of those defeats, we were actually in the game (which can not be said about Strong's teams).
    6 of the 7 losses were by 10 points or less
    5 of the 7 losses were by 5 points or less
    Herman's worst loss is by 17 (@#8 TCU last year)

With Strong, we were getting routinely blown out, even by mediocre opponents. Here is a list of the point margins in our losses under Strong that are worse than 17 points (Herman's worst).
    18, 22, 35, 43, 24, 18, 34, 21, 23, 38, 24
    That is 11 blowout losses worse than Herman's worst loss.
    Yes it's 3 seasons vs 1 season, but still...look at those 11 blowout losses vs 1
    Also remember one of those is a 24-0 loss to 3-9 Iowa State.
    Strong was really bad.

Now I am not excusing Herman's losses. A loss is a loss. We looked really bad today. It's actually kind of a miracle that we had a chance at the end of the game today. But we did have a chance today. We were in it, even with all the poor play and mistakes. The team needs to improve, but we are a lot closer to being good now than we were in 2014/15/16. Back then we weren't even competitive.

30. zuckercanyon

I don’t know, I just think we’re “stuck” with what’s left of mediocre players. When breckyn Hager is a hero on defense because of his intensity and sometimes successful efforts (Blake Gideon comes to mind), your defense is in trouble. Sam brought us back from 24-7, and took the lead. The team as a whole couldn’t finish. Not sure Shane would’ve fared differently. Everyone loves the backup... at some point, Texas has to stick with a coach. Should we have kept Mack? Maybe, but it’s done. I say go 5 with Tom Herman as long as we win more than we lose EACH YEAR. Our recruiting should continue to be solid and we will develop a winning attitude. Not sure what urban or nick would do w this bunch but I’d bet they wouldn’t fare much better early on. One game at a time, one season at a time. We’ve gone 8 years without ten
    point taken