Texas vs Oklahoma game thread

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Olehornfan, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Unfortunately I had to work today, but saw enough of the game to get it. Their offense is as good as advertised, but their defense is also as bad as advertised. They might lose a couple more games this year.

We played almost exactly the game I thought we would need to win which is take advantage of the big play passing opportunities and hold them to no points on about every other drive while getting a turnover or two.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Texas Fight in the locker room

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. beijinghorn1

beijinghorn1 500+ Posts

Hand is one hell of a coach!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

This is both funny and creepy lol

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
  7. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

Listening on satellite as I returned home, one of the announcers commented that, with the big baseball contract, he was avoiding contact in some instances...there was even a similar comment from the OU broadcast.

8. beijinghorn1

beijinghorn1 500+ Posts

Give me a break. The kid weights a buck 50. His game is not too run over people.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Hideo Gump Jr.

Hideo Gump Jr. Summer Soldier and Sunshine Patriot

[​IMG]
    I’ll need to grow these out some.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

The kid’s a midget. Needs to go play baseball. Or come back next year and get pummeled even worse.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

This comes back to the whole 'second half adjustments' comment I had in the other thread...until they start doing so and continuing to keep the foot on the throat, cardiologists will remain gainfully employed in Austin with late year bonuses...

• Like Like x 1
  12. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

Thanks for the best wishes, snowflake! It was just what we needed.

13. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

Great day great game took my 3 year old son to his first red river rivalry and he pounded corn dogs like a champ

• Like Like x 8
  14. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Most yards total offense against ou in Texas history:

1. Sam Ehlinger: 388 yards ( 378 pass & 110 rushing) in 2017

2. Ehlinger: 386 yards (314 pass & 72 rushing) today

3. Tyrone Swoopes: 384 yards ( 334 pass & 50 rushing) in 2014

• Like Like x 5
  15. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

Look, whole putting your foot on a teams throat means NOT having holding penalties when you are trying to run out the clock. If we just don't hold on running platys, we win by 2 scores and non of this happens. It was just stupid OLine play. We had the right plays called as they were just beat. But 1st and 20 forces you to get out of what you wanted to do. Just don't hold. It's that simple.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

I personally would have run it, but if he does and gets stuffed all the same guys would be screaming too conservative!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Denmark

Denmark 500+ Posts

I've been out since the end of the game, and only looked in here at the half, but I said to myself at 45-24 that we needed one more score to be safe. We got too conservative in the 4th! The turnovers were BIG!

18. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

We had the right plan in the 4th but the wrong brains on the OL with all of the holding calls.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

A win over OU is as good as it gets. Yeah, we gave up a 21 point lead in the 4th but the Horns kept their composure and got it done. I couldn’t be happier.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Denmark

Denmark 500+ Posts

We always take our foot off the throttle

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

Great win. A few frustrations along the way but they sucked it up at the end. Showed a lot of chracter.

Question: Was I the only one who wondered why Tom left 9 seconds on the clock?

• WTF? WTF? x 2
  22. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

I was impressed they only left 9 seconds on the clock. I thought that was pretty good clock management.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Post-game, Kyler refused to shake Sam's hand and some say he called him a *****.
    I wasnt there, so I dont know

25. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

Lol I love it. Horns down. Bad losers. I love it all

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  26. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

The kid (yes, I said kid) always struck me as being cocky, self-absorbed and entitled. OU seems to attract these types.

Screw him and the two schools with which he has been affiliated.

27. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

I’ve heard this a few times in the last hour or so

28. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

I believe it was because they had to call the timeout at 1 second left on the play clock, not the game clock. The previous play, 3rd down started at 0:58 seconds, Ellinger ran for 1 yard to the OU 23 and the game clock was running but so also started the play clock at the end of that play. Running down the play clock to 1 second left 0:14 on the game clock. Kicking the field goal took the game clock down to 0:09.

If they had let the play clock expire, would have lost 5 yards delay of game, still would have been 4th down, now longer field goal attempt, wouldn't have changed the game clock, though would have saved the timeout, meaningless at this point.

P.S., why I was screaming at the TV during earlier plays of this short drive --- don't leave more than about 5 seconds on the clock at the end of this drive. If you make a FG, then pooch kick the kickoff after the FG into the non-skill Sooners, they fumble around with it, clock runs out, game over (somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the clock does run on kickoff returns, right? If not, you just leave enough time for ONE Sooner offensive play).

But the Horns were throwing 20-yard pass plays on the last couple to three plays of that drive, not controlling the clock. Texas had 2 timeouts, so if it got all panicky from a runplay result, burn one of them.

If Texas had run, run, run, with each play targeted to end where Dicker would want a spot, would have taken off game clock time and allowed Texas to have the game clock expiring before the play clock for that FG attempt.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  29. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

Did you hear is Game Day interview. “I’m better than VY, Johnny, Drew Brees and Baker”.

I was so hoping for a Bomar type hit on him ... maybe in December

• Like Like x 1
  30. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

• Like Like x 3