Texas vs OSU game thread.

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Olehornfan, Oct 27, 2018.

1. Texas Lawhorn

Texas Lawhorn 100+ Posts

We deserved this lose. We had every opportunity. Some bad calls against us, but we played uninspired.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

Oklahoma state took the 2 weeks to insert a great game plan and it worked we clearly didn’t and got out coached just as we did against Maryland. No watch us go out and dominate West Virginia next week and have the entire world saying wtf

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  3. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

I like Herman but the benching of our 3 players in the first quarter cost us this game. That and the refs.

4. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Yep

5. Walking Boss

Walking Boss 2,500+ Posts

Herman can go ballistic all he wants. He did not have his team ready to play, they are still making wasaay to many mental mistakes and most of them the same ones they have been making for two years, and his clock management at the end was horrible. The Horns could have won this game even as bad as they played but the don’t take care of the little things. Okie lite made more plays and played with much better focus than Texas.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

That's what I'm saying. How does the defensive end on that side think he's going to run down the running back from the backside without a single thought in his mind about the zone read option? Is this coaching or just a dumb player?

7. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

It would be amazing if Gundy would coach this was again OU. Instead, they are in his heads even worse than they were ever in Mack's. So either they'll choke that one away in the final minute, or, more likely, lose something like 62-7.

8. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Not far from a cesspool.

9. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Because Boyd and Humphrey did so well for us when they played?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. MUCHO

MUCHO 100+ Posts

Lots of mental errors and the Horns had their chances, but it is very hard to win on the road when you have slew of poor officiating calls against you. It’s one thing to have bang-bang plays go against you, but the punt call at the end of the first half was not a bang-bang play. It was dead-ball play and the referees failure to see it is more about training and preparation than anything else. If the Big 12 wants to be a premier football conference, it will invest in premier officials. Clearly, it can afford to do so.

Very proud of the team’s effort tonight, despite not having its A-game. I applaud Herman for standing up for his team. This team is good team and good program. We as “hornfans” either need to stand behind the team or suit up.

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  11. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Herman said, "They had a great game plan and we didn't."

So... why not?

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Herman babbling about not kicking deep instead of the on-side kick.

13. Walking Boss

Paging Dick Toomey. Paging Dick Toomey. We have an emergency situation of undisciplined football and stupid mental mistakes taking place in Austin which needs your immediate attention.

14. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Offense needed more dueverney. Officiating killed us. Team had too many mental mistakes. OSU played their best (Likely will crap the bed against OU). Despite all that, Texas should have won.

15. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

Point blank period

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

"We underestimated his ability (the QB) to run the ball."

17. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

You might ask the same question on whoever had the responsibility on the quarterback run around the right side for a td. And perhaps Orlando gets some of the blame. I just know that in my years of football outside containment was preached over and over and I cannot believe these kids were not coached in these same basics.

As to 11, I personally have seen enough of him to not let him on the field. But maybe he is the best they have to offer.

• Like Like x 1
  18. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

I was very confident and hopeful we’d show up but it was not to be....great effort coming back but our general lack of talent showed through tonight. I’ll say the amount of time we waste running plays when behind also doesn’t help. OSU ram plays quickly and has us on our heels....

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. zuckercanyon

He probably is this year

20. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

You must have been asleep during the first quarter.

• WTF? WTF? x 1
  21. LonghornMD

LonghornMD 100+ Posts

I appreciate Tom being honest. But I'd appreciate it more if he would show-up for his job prepared. He is becoming a repeat offender when it comes to not doing his homework against sub-par teams. No points for acknowledging that you sh*t the bed..... again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Herman said the punt returner was standing on the twenty and the punt was a bomb so the ten yard line "this is the edge of the cliff" rule was not in play per se.

23. zuckercanyon

Under Mack and Charlie texas became subpar. Believe Darrell royal had a comment about lesser teams screwing up texas seasons something about cockroaches or something similar....not ready to brand Herman a lesser team coach fail though....

24. zuckercanyon

Looks like okie lites punter won the game for them

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. Buck-Horn

Buck-Horn Guest

I felt they had to try the onside kick....but, it was a bad attempt at an onside kick. With a 1:46 left, the odds of getting the ball back with time for a FG were zero.

26. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

No doubt they seriously underestimated the QB in this game.

• Like Like x 1
  27. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

They’re coached to play instinctive. Being instinctive can negate gap control and containment.

28. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

To me, Boyd's and Humphrey's body language suggested a case of pouting.

Boyd, too many times seemed to be way too far from his assignment receiver, looked uninterested in doing his job.

Humphrey walking over to the line for his place instead of getting over there promptly resulted in an illegal procedure.

Both just seemed like maybe they were giving it back to TH.

Coaches should have noticed this and played others who maybe had some fire in their bellies to win the game that these two apparently lacked tonight.

• Like Like x 1
  29. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

He said they needed to coach that kick better. That's what I was saying; did he or did he not "know" that Dicker could execute a high hop? Had they seen it in practice on a consistent basis or not? If not, why call it?

30. Walking Boss

H
    A performance like this against supposed lesser teams has been a consistent knock against Herman as a head coach. So as of now he has earned the lesser team coach fail reputation. That needs to change

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1