Texas vs OSU game thread.

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Olehornfan, Oct 27, 2018.

1. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

I think it happens to all coaches not named saban

2. 22Horn

22Horn 500+ Posts

1) Bad decision to kick on side.....kick it deep so they have to go length of field giving Texas a better opportunity at shorter field, instead of giving them field of 40 yards for clinching score.
    2) Bad decision to field punt inside 5
    3) Pathetic officiating.....#4 was all over Johnson all night....so not even close
    4) Extremely undisciplined

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Sadly, osu did most of the butt kicking tonight.

4. Buck-Horn

Buck-Horn Guest

Yea, was gonna say it looked like they have never practiced one of those!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

Boyd has been taken to the woodshed all season

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Walking Boss

Walking Boss 2,500+ Posts

But it consistently happens to Herman coached teams. See uconn and navy at UH, Maryland(twice), tech last year, Osu tonight just to name a few and that doesn’t count playing down to multiple opponents and squeaking out wins

7. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

At least twice (the touchdown and the final 3rd down conversion) the zone read keeper by the QB appeared to completely fool our defensive ends. The touchdown (the play they should have called holding on the Okie State receiver, #2) was to the right. The final 1st down conversion before the victory formation was to the left. Both times the defense appeared to have no clue as the QB had nothing but yardage ahead of him. Easy plays.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Buck-Horn

Buck-Horn Guest

Me thinks these stats are quite revealing....

upload_2018-10-27_23-32-50.jpeg

9. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Also at Houston lost to smu after beating top ranked ou.

10. KBBAKER

KBBAKER 500+ Posts

Losing at OSU during a night game on Homecoming is not the same as losing to Maryland. Not an excuse, but Stillwater is a tough place to play (and win).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  11. MUCHO

MUCHO 100+ Posts

Penalties — 11 for 86 vs 4 for 52. What a crock of dung. That ref should spend less time in the gym and more time preparing (and picking out some better glasses).

12. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

I don’t like losing to teams we should beat. It happens, but there were no surprises in Stillwater tonight. All we heard for a week was “it’s a night game close to Halloween in Stillwater” and “ it’s homecoming.” We simply either weren’t prepared (which is astounding), were out coached, or both. This team should be good enough to handle at least “some” inferior teams, yet we simply cannot. And when I say “handle,” I mean without the late game dramatics.

I’m starting to wonder if the wins against Tulsa, KSU and Baylor were more indicative of this team than the wins against USC, TCU and OU.

Not a great performance tonight by either TH or TO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

No turnovers by either team. That's pretty amazing.

Our penalties were very untimely. Two holds negating big first downs including one after the catastrophic punt return to our one yard line.

14. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

11 penalties signals lack of focus, lack of discipline and general sloppiness. Perhaps 1 or 2 were marginal calls but several were killers at critical times.

15. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

Too many penalties at awful times and it happens every game

16. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

I can think of these off the top of my head that were justified:

Dicker's out of bounds hit on his kickoff
    Humphrey lollygagging over to his position, not there before the snap
    defensive tackle lined up in the neutral zone
    the two on Hager and TH at the end due to their unsportsmanlike conduct
    at least one delay of game

That's 6.

The punt play to draw UT offsides was crap by the refs.
    A couple of holdings, meh, happens.

There were no targetings, helmet to helmet contacts, or other judgment calls that I can recall.

Maybe your point is that oSu should have been penalized more; on that I'd agree, but Texas' penalties IMHO seemed mostly self-inflicted.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. zuckercanyon

I just don’t think we’re there yet, not this team with this set of players....there’s no such thing as who we should and should not defeat. It depends on who walks out of the tunnel....lots of times it’s breckyn n pj......rather than 6.1 n 6.0 freshmen.....Gary Johnson was a 6.1 juco, duvernay was a 6.0 but doesn’t play defense....we’re a year or two away from beating people we’re supposed to....

18. zuckercanyon

I’m happy as hell w 6-2

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

In fairness to Boyd on the qb touchdown run to the right an Okie had him by the arm on a blatant hold that was ignored by the regs.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  20. LonghornMD

LonghornMD 100+ Posts

Opinion with no factual basis: Tom and staff put things in cruise control during some weeks of the season (and preseason), not putting in the work required for an upcoming game. This is just an assumption based on observing how the team comes out to play some games. Many times flat and without an apparent game plan specific to their opponent that week (like some of those teachers in high school who would play a movie or repeat a lesson plan on days that they didn't feel up to teaching). It reeks of an immature staff not experienced with putting in hard work EVERY DAY of EVERY WEEK throughout the season. Unprepared for many scenarios until the team is already in a really bad situation (see tonight down by 3 TDs to an unranked team). Instead, they choose to feel proud of what they've accomplished thus far this season, resting on their laurels, kicking their heels up and thinking they can just show up (this is conjecture on my part). This rubs off on the team, and the lack of opponent-specific preparation doesn't help. Tom has admitted as much, saying "we didn't expect this...." , "we were surprised by this", or "we had no idea their QB/RB was that good/could run". That translate into, "we didn't do our homework", "we were unprepared", "we didn't do our jobs this past week for which we are overpaid as it is". This is really unacceptable. Imagine if you showed up for work, gave a lackluster effort, and then offered those types of excuses. You'd probably get fired. I'm not saying Tom should get fired. The team has actually taken big strides this year (kudos to Tom and staff for that). But he's still not allowed to take weeks off and turn in crappy performances. It smacks of immaturity, and he needs to correct that ASAP. Just my opinion.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  21. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

I think you can pretty much group USC and TCU with BU, Tulsa, and KSU.
    They are not very good teams.
    And we almost gave away the OU game.
    That's all I've been saying is that our wins have not instilled great confidence in me.
    However, we are still capable of winning out.
    Lot's of football left.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  22. zuckercanyon

Soooo how did Purdue sneak up on Ohio State? I guess it was the Ohio state university young coach whose known for his lack of preparation for teams he should beat....

• Like Like x 1
  23. Buck-Horn

Buck-Horn Guest

Uh, TCU & USC only hurt our SOS....they are bad teams this year. I’d say OU was anomoly. So, we are one of the B12 9 dwarfs. This video says it all......
    Dinich: Texas' loss is bad for entire Big 12 conference - ESPN Video

24. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I guess I don't understand what it means to underestimate the QB's ability to run. Does that mean you told the players to sell out to the running back and ignore the QB? I mean, the zone read is the zone read. It's no surprise. We've seen it now for years. Is there no contingency on any given play when the DE see's the QB sticking the ball into the running backs gut that it MIGHT be a zone read?

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Upsets happen and there are always excuses: poor penalties, poor execution, poor effort, poor coaching, etc. just happens. That's the agony and beauty of college football, but still sucks when it's my boys. I'm one of those who stayed on cloud nine after the OU victory but never bought all the hype about a #6 ranking because of our 4th qtr performance and the apparent collapse in the strength of our prior opponents.
    I'm hoping we bounce back but no guarantees, heck even Ks beat TCU. Who saw that coming? Hookem

• Like Like x 1
  26. LonghornMD

LonghornMD 100+ Posts

? Applying the reasons why Texas' lost to OSU are not transitive to the reasons why Ohio State lost to Purdue. Different situations. In fact, why you would try to make that a similar scenario makes no sense. But you think whatever you want. I'm eager to hear your rationale :rolleyes1: (sarcasm).

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. zuckercanyon

Not happy with the loss either but to say Purdue is a world beater and was no surprise to beat the buckeyes soundly is not factual. Am also saying that even the best have to bow their heads and say they were unprepared for their “lesser” opponents....I think Herman’s developing a winner here and would remind everyone down on his performance that DKR also lost ones he should have won....won’t dig into the details of those kinds of facts unless you insist....

28. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

I blame Foster for that one. He should have had Cornelius for a 2 yard gain, but basically stood there and just reached out with his hands and then gave up the instant he was unable to pull the QB down by his forearm.

True, but OSU did it the possession before and they completely missed it.

He was. The problem was he was still doing it a couple of seconds after the QB's knee hit the ground.

29. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I don't like to be a hard-*** or a know it all when I question Herman. But when someone is making set for life money then I think it's ok to wonder about mistakes that indicate the salary is outpacing the value.

30. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

There were many factors that caused tonites loss but at the top of my list is our defenses horrendous tackling.

• Agree Agree x 1