Texas vs OU, Game One, Jan. 09, 2019

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BabHorn, Jan 8, 2019.

1. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

#11/11 Texas and NR/NR Oklahoma resume their series Wednesday night, Jan. 09, 2019. Horns lead the series 31-25 overall, including a sweep of last season’s games. The Big 12 series between the two is tied at 22 wins each. Texas comes into this game on a five-game winning streak, including two straight in league play. Their record sits at 12-2 overall and 2-0 in league play. OU is at 5-8 overall and 1-1 in Big 12 play. The Sooners are coming off an 86-56 loss at KSU after beating Tech 66-61 in Norman. Both teams have played one road game and one home game so far. This will be Texas’ second league home game and OU’s second Big 12 road game. Both teams hosted the Northwestern State Lady Demons. OU won 93-56 while Texas had a 103-66 win over the Lady Demons. That’s a 37 point win for both OU and Texas over the Lady Demons.

Oklahoma Sooners (5-8;1-1)
    A bit of insight into Taylor Robertson’s background. And most likely why she is at OU.
    https://www.kansas.com/sports/varsity-kansas/varsity-basketball/article197048239.html

The Sooners have three players averaging double digit scoring after two conference games. Taylor Robertson (#30, 5-7 Fr. G) puts up 14.5 ppg while Shaina Pellington (#14, 5-7 Soph. G) adds 11.0 ppg. Off the bench, Ana Llanusa (#22, 6-0 Soph. G) contributes 12.5 ppg. Only eight players have taken a shot in league play. Four lead the way with 20 plus shot attempts each. Pellington leads the way with 9 of 26 (34.6%). Llanusa is second in FG attempts at 6 of 25 (24.0%). Madi Williams (#25, 6-0 Fr. G/F) is third with 6 of 23 (26.1%). Robertson has the best FG% of the quartet at 36.4% on 8 of 22. Robertson (5-14; 35.7%) and Llanusa (4-13; 30.8%) are the top 3pt shooters for OU. Llanusa has proven to be the most dynamic at getting to the FT line, getting there 14 times in two games with nine makes (64.3%). Robertson is the only Sooner who is perfect from the FT line (8-8, 100%).

Williams ranks among the top rebounders in league play with her 8.0 rpg. Mandy Simpson (#3, 6-0 Soph. F; 6.0 rpg) and Llanusa (5.5 rpg) are also among the top 20 rebounders in league games. Pellington (8 assists), Simpson (8 assists) and Tatum Veitenheimer (#32, 5-8 Fr. G; 5 assists) lead the team in setting up teammates. Pellington has two blocks and Veitenheimer one to account for all of OU’s three blocks. Conversely, they have had 12 shots blocked by opponents. Robertson, Pellington and Veitenheimer each has four steals to account for 12 of OU’s 17 steals.

OU has used the same starting lineup in the seven previous games: Veitenheimer, Pellington, Robertson, Simpson and Williams. That’s three frosh and two sophs, none taller than 6-0. Ten of the 12 active players have played in conference play. Llanusa, projected as a starter, played in only the first game before undergoing an operation to repair a stress fracture in her foot. She has returned to play in both league games. Ijemoma Odimgbe (#24, 6-4 Sr. F) and Nydai Lampkin (#21, 6-3 Fr. F), two of the tallest Sooners, have seen limited action in the Big 12 games. Aspen Williston (#31, 6-4 Fr. C) has only two minutes of action in one league game. Jessi Murcer (#0, 5-7 Fr. G) has seen significant action in both league games.

Of the eight players to log double digit minutes in Big 12 play, Veitenheimer (31.5 mpg) and Robertson (34.0 mpg) lead the way. Four others average between 21 and 28 mpg: Llanusa (21.0 mpg), Pellington (27.0 mpg), Williams (28.0 mpg) and Simpson (28.0 mpg). Murcer (12.5 mpg) and Odimgbe (12.0 mpg) make up the rest of the group.

Texas Longhorns (12-2; 2-0)
    Texas has three players averaging double digit scoring after two conference games: Sug (16.5 ppg), Danni (11.0 ppg) and Joyner (10.5 ppg). Destiny is just outside that group with an average of 9.0 ppg. Six players are averaging between 7 shots per game (Jatarie & Olamide) and 10.5 shots a game (Joyner). Sug (13-20; 65.0%) and Audrey (3-5; 60%) top the Horns in FG%. Olamide (6-14; 42.9%) and Danni (7-17; 41.2%) are the only others hitting over 40% from the field. Since the start of conference, the Horns have been on fire from BTA. Audrey (1-2; 50%) and Sug (2-2; 100%) are doing very well but Danni (5-9; 55.6%) and Destiny (4-7; 57.1%) have taken turns lighting it up from BTA with Danni hitting three treys vs OSU and Destiny canning four 3s vs WVU. Texas is still having trouble from the FT line, with only Charli (2-2; 100%), Danni (3-4; 75.0%) and Destiny (6-8; 75.0%) making at least 70% of their FTs. As a team, Texas is making only 64.1% from the FT line, below their 68.2% coming into conference play.

Olamide (7.5 rpg), Joyner (7.0 rpg) and Jatarie (5.0 rpg) combine to help Texas dominate opponents in rebounding. Danni adds 5.5 rpgs while Sug grabs 4.5 rpg. Sug has eleven assists (5.5 apg) while Joyner has totaled three in the two Big 12 games. Six others have one assist each. Charli’s block versus OSU is the only block registered by the Horns in league play to date. Jada and Joyner each has five steals to lead the team while Danni has four steals and Sug three.

Texas has used the same starting lineup for both Big 12 games: Sug, Danni, Destiny, Joyner and Olamide. Eight players have seen action in both league games while Charli and Joanne have played in one game. Sug (34.5 mpg), Danni (33.5 mpg) and Destiny (28.5 mpg) are the mainstays on the court. Six of the other seven average between 23.5 mpg (Joyner) and 12 mpg (Charli). Joanne has gotten in for six minutes in the game vs OSU.

LINEUPS
    Projected lineups are based on the previous game’s starting lineups.
    Screenshot (72).png

Texas should enjoy a sizable height advantage in the post most of the game. OU’s three bigs, 6-4 Odimgbe, 6-3 Lampkin and 6-4 Williston, don’t get in games for long. Williston has only played two minutes in one league game; Lampkin has gotten in both games but for an average of five mpg; Odimgbe is seeing action for an average of 12 mpg. Otherwise, the Horns will be facing post defenders no taller than six feet. It is possible that OU will play their actual bigs for longer than they have so far.

OU will also will be concerned with not giving Danni and Destiny open looks from BTA. Both have demonstrated that they are capable of hitting those open looks. For Texas, blanketing Robertson from BTA and keeping Llanusa from getting clean looks will be the focus on the perimeter. Danni and Destiny will probably be primarily responsible for those two when they are in the game. Veitehheimer and Murcer, both frosh, will have a tough time shutting or slowing down Sug the way she has come out on fire in the first two league games.

STATS COMPARISON—Big 12 stats only.
    Screenshot (73).png
    Screenshot (74).png
    Screenshot (75).png

Screenshot (76).png

Like Texas, Oklahoma is at their best when they can get out in transition. For both teams, the goal will be to be able to run while forcing the other team to run their half court offense instead. It may backfire on OU, if they are unable to hold off the Texas posts inside. Neither team is shooting well inside the arc. Texas is only making 35% for their two pointers and OU is slightly worse at 33%.

Horns should dominate the boards if they can box out Williams and Simpson, OU’s top two rebounders who each stands six feet tall. If our posts can establish position in the block, OU should have trouble stopping them from scoring. That should help to open up looks for Danni, Destiny, Sug and Audrey from BTA.

Game is 7 PM this coming Wednesday. The game will be carried on the LHN and the radio broadcast by 105.3 FM. Watch ESPN will be the online video provider. Oklahoma vs. #11 Texas (W Basketball)

No. 11 Women's Basketball preview: Oklahoma - University of Texas Athletics
    Red River Rivals Clash in Austin
    Women's preview: No. 11 Texas vs. Oklahoma | Hookem.com
    A week after football's Sugar Bowl finish, Texas women look to keep the momentum going | Hookem.com
    OU WBB: Oklahoma hoping faster pace fixes offensive woes

• Like Like x 5
  2. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Hoping that practice helps both Charli and Joanne get some PT vs OU! :hookem3:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Happy birthday, Heather!
    Wonder if she will be in Austin to watch Tatum play for the first time vs the Horns?

• Like Like x 3
  4. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Six hours to tipoff! :yippee:

• Like Like x 2
  5. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

Texas will have the height advantage.
    Please feed the Post.

• Like Like x 1
  6. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Once again we're starting the game with post players who turn the ball over and can't hit a shot under.the basket... and there's the most talented post player we have this year riding the bench.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. longhorn47

longhorn47 500+ Posts

Ugly basketball. Both our Men's and Women's BB teams play some of the ugliest basketball I've seen in ages...smfh...

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. longhorn47

longhorn47 500+ Posts

Damn...just gave up 4 offensive rebounds in 1 OU possession...

• Like Like x 2
  9. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

It's about damn time she puts Collier in the game, and she makes her presence felt immediately. :smh:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Much better post play and overall team effort in that second quarter. :hookem2:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

While a win is win and OU's program still has a lot of reputation for some reason, they haven't made it past the 2nd round since 2013, haven't finished ranked since 2011, and this may be Coale's weakest team ever. We really ought to blow them out at home if we're the type of team we think/hope we are.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Let them hang around too long there, but a double digit win on a day our 3 pointers weren't falling isn't awful. We cleaned up the boards really well too. That FT shooting though. Felt like we made less than half, although I bet it wasn't quite that bad.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

I don’t understand Collier’s limited minutes. Scratching my head. She came in. She executed beautifully. And then she sat on the bench.

• Agree Agree x 5
  14. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

J. Underwood minutes need to be going to C. Collier.
    Hookem'

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  15. texexted

texexted 500+ Posts

In the post game Karen said Collier had her best game. Maybe she’ll play her more. Free throws were abysmal. And the same ugly turnovers. Saturday will be tough.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

It would not surprise me one bit if this team loses in Ames.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • poop poop x 1
  17. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

Sherri's team is good, just lacking a strong post. It won't be easy to beat them in Norman. I agree with everyone else about Charli. How is she going to get better without more minutes? Face guarding Robertson was probably the main key to our win. Smart coaching there. It definitely will be a major challenge to beat ISU in Ames. We'll hope for the best.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

I'm a little antsy with a few things at this point. Charli definitely deserved more minutes in the 4th quarter. She rebounded and scored when she was in the game, yet sat most of the 4th.
    I wish Audrey was still getting as many minutes as she had been earlier. She's a hustler, a good rebounder and scorer, yet she hasn't had a chance to even get warmed up in the last few games.
    Last thing is I don't feel like this starting group has enough chemistry together to be starters. It seems the team never gets in a groove like a starting group should, thus the slow starts lately.
    Also, I'm not a coach and haven't attended practices, so just my opinions on a few things.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

I’m for playing and doing whatever needs to be done to win that specific game. I’m sure Jada will probably get more minutes against Iowa State because they’re very similar to Oklahoma in terms of playing small ball with 4 sometimes 5 wings on the court but they have better players that are more difficult to defend.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

Texas is good in the Post.
    With Holmes, White and Collier.

21. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

The ugly wins so far this year
    1st Quarter: trailing or even in points
    2nd Quarter: catching up to tie and go ahead by 2-6 points at the half
    3rd Quarter: build up to double-digit lead
    4th Quarter: fall apart, lead shrinks to 2 points and through fouls or terrible shots by opponent, we end up with a win where the point differential gives people the wrong idea of how the game really went.

I'm back to screaming at the court:
    a) "Don't just throw it away!"
    b) "Argh! Why did you make that throw?"
    c) "Help her! C'mon what are you doing?"
    d) "Time out! Time out! Oh Jesus call time out!"

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

I agree Warren is now not getting enough minutes. Jada plays hard, but I'm not sure she is bringing that much.

23. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

My fair and biased conclusions. This team has poor basketball IQ. The team plays hard and seem like good kids and will win 25 games. J. Holmes is never going to be the player I thought. I will continue to watch and hope and support but nothing yet to indicate anything past the round of 32 or Sweet 16. I am grappling with the question of is that enough year over year.

• Agree Agree x 3
  24. texexted

texexted 500+ Posts

Karen mentioned the team is finally embracing playing defense - and there were I think four possessions where OU couldn’t get a shot off and the clock expired. So that’s a positive. They’ll need stellar D in Ames.

• Agree Agree x 7
  25. cynt

cynt 1,000+ Posts

Will someone help me understand why Olamide is starting?

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Mobility, shot blocking, rebounding and length. She is better defensively. Not too many mistakes......just hustles and tries to do her job. She has come a LONG way in 4 years. White is the better shooter and better fundamentally but is slow and below average rebounder and defender. I also think getting more scoring from the second unit is a factor. I think White will be in there at crunch time and I like her game and is a trouper. And I am ok with her coming off the bench. I am ok with starting Olamide as if that mattered.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  27. texexted

texexted 500+ Posts

I assume defense. But it’s ridiculous to think she’s one of the top 5 players. I love her hustle but she should not be starting .

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

I have zero expectations for this team. Not because I don’t like them or don’t think they can go all the way. They could. They could also crater at any moment. I have no idea.

I can’t get my arms around who we are this year. We don’t seem to have a consistently dominant player. But then again, it’s nice to see that at any point anyone of them could be that player in that particular game - truly anyone.

Well rounded -yes
    Motivated - mostly
    Chemistry - can’t point to it, but yes
    Competitive - absolutely... I think

Because of injuries to Higgs and Prince, and to a certain extent Holmes, they are an enigma this season. I have no idea what to expect, but I certainly hope they go all the way
    :hookem:

• Agree Agree x 5
  29. longhorn47

longhorn47 500+ Posts

The thing that baffles me is that other teams seem to have shooters whose shots look good while almost all of our players' shots look awkward (except perhaps Sug)

30. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

We'd better be getting our future ready (Collier)... She and Sedona will be THE major post players for.the next few years and one of them needs to have some solid game experience. I hate the way we have not developed our younger players faster the past 2-3 years.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019