Texas vs OU Game Thread

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Dionysus, Oct 14, 2017.

1. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Logic and reason confuses some people.

• Like Like x 2
  2. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

• Like Like x 3
  3. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

You have to wait until 2nd down to call the first of the 2 remaining timeouts. If we call timeout after 1st down and then ou picks up a 1st down on the next play, they can run out the clock.

Either way, even if we stopped them on 2nd down and we call our last timeout or wait until 3rd down to do so, ou will still run the clock down to 0:30. It would be monumentally stupid for them to throw and possibly gift wrap a stoppage of the clock on an incomplete pass.

• Like Like x 1
  4. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

I was at the game so I didn’t get to see that replay. Was it Jones or PJ that had blown coverage?

5. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

I would argue that if OU makes a first down on either first or second down in that situation it's basically game over regardless. The problem is that the odds of driving 70, 80, or 90 yards with only 30 seconds left is very low. If you call a TO after both first and second down, then, if OU throws an incomplete pass or if an OU receiver or RB has a brain fart and runs out of bounds, you gain an extra 30-40 seconds.

6. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

#19 Brandon Jones.

7. horninchicago

Yes, if they made a 1st down on 2nd down, it is game over. That is why they wait. We stopped them for no gain on 2nd down I think, so then you can use the timeouts. Either way, ou will run it down to 0:30. even the ou love fest slobber knocker Heisman campaign for Mayfield announcers agreed you wait to start using the timeouts after 2nd down.

8. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

That might be the first time **** hasnt come out of Bakers mouth.

• Like Like x 5
  9. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

Because Mapps has been outplaying him?

• Like Like x 4
  10. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

^^^^THIS.

11. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

HC, I went back and watched it. Blackledge simply acknowledged that "they are going to let the clock go on this first down play and call timeout on second and third down." He didn't endorse the strategy, nor did he question it. He was just reporting. We could have called the TO at 1:46, BTW.

I stand by my observation that it was a strategic mistake not to call the TO after the first down stop, so I guess we can agree to disagree.

• Like Like x 1
  12. horninchicago

Okay, I haven't gone back and watched it. You may be right, could have been another bad TH decision like going for 4th and 8 vs. attempting a 44 yd FG. I'm no Xs and Os expert, I just thought with only 2 TOs left they made the right call. I could very well be wrong.

13. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

What's the math on this? You get the clock running all the way on 1st or 3rd down depending on when you use the TO. At the end of three plays aren't you in the same spot clock-wise?

• Like Like x 2
  14. horninchicago

That was my thought, but like I said I guess I don't really profess to know the right answer. i was just trying to give an explanation of what I thought they did.

15. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Bystander, the wild card has to do with what happens on third down. That's the unknown. If the timeouts are called after first and second down, arguably 1:38 would be remaining when third down starts. As I noted above, if OU throws an incomplete pass or, if they complete the pass but it's short and the receiver mistakenly runs out of bounds, or, if they run the ball and the RB mistakenly runs out of bounds, the clock would stop at about 1:30. There's no guarantee that any of those scenarios would happen but by allowing the clock to run after first down, you are eliminating the possibility. I have seen the team attempting to run out the clock make a mistake and unintentionally stop the clock many times. I have seen games lost because of it.

It would have been quite interesting to watch Sam again with an extra 50 seconds.

• Like Like x 2
  16. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

Duvernay needs to be a bigger part of the offense. He was only thrown at once and it was a long pass connection that would have been a TD had he not been led toward the sideline. He’s always going to be the fastest player on the field no matter who we play. He can spread out the field by his deep threat.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

I have been saying that about pulling guards and counter for a long time.

• Like Like x 1
  18. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

Mapps and foreman have similar numbers and thats with forman not seeing action in 2 whole games but im not saying pull mapps at all not even close. I’m saying switch your rotation. For examples he likes joe because joe is a better blocker news flash our running backs combined for 17 yards we not getting to that point with them we are pass heavy put the guy in who can make catches to keep a drive a alive. I think I saw him throw a fourth down to burt correct me if I’m wrong though. CJ Heard Mapps Humphrey and Foreman in any order

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  19. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

it was easy to see Sam was only at 60 percent as he was hurt and low on juice, tired and rightly so cause he had done a lot of running. It was just too much. Because of that I was pulling for Shane to remain in the game. He had fresh legs.

I am not impressed with TH at all. He has cost us 3 games with his real time/game time decisions.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

According to E Acho during the GameDay Final, on that play the CB is responsible for the boundary WR. PJ should have taken the guy who cut up sideline and Jones should have taken the post guy. Jones started towards the post guy but saw PJ sticking to him. By the time Jones tried to go after the boundary guy, it was too late. So, Acho blamed PJ.

21. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

I THINK Forman lead this team in td receptions and that’s with missing 2 games. Saved us on a couple drives against usc cmon it’s not hard to see he belongs on the field. Herman talks practice practice practice he says Rowland makes everything in practice but when we get in a game he won’t kick him when we have a chance for 3 clearly has no faith in the kid right now but why won’t he give another guy a shot. We have lost a few games due to not taking the 3. I’m just curious to why he holds a few guys to a certain standard and others not to the same thing. If you don’t produce get off the field Simple as that

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  22. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Foreman has been good at times but I will take Mapps over him. Mapps is more of a gamer.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

I disagree with your last sentence. If we could ever hit Duvernay in stride he would take it to the house. I said this before C Johnson, Mapps, and Duvernay will be playing on Sundays.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

We have discovered somebody in Brewer. He looks like a real tight end. I like that kid. He doesn't play scared or tentative and he has good hands. If his blocking is as good as his hands then we have a really good one. He is going to play a lot this season.

• Like Like x 3
  25. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

I’m with you on that I didn’t leave duvernay out because I think he is a bad player but we can more than likely count on one hand how much action he has seen on offense this year and a few of those ended in flags on him

26. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Duvernay reminds me of our wr 6 or 7 years back, can't think of his name but his an Olympic long jumper who is in the NFL. I was pulling my hair out back then because we were underutilizing him just like we are underutilizing Duvernay now. And Duvernay has good hands to go with his speed.

27. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

Goodwin

28. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

So you are saying TH made a strategic mistake because you aren't sure if OU would pass or run on 3rd down?

No coach with a brain would pass on 3rd down with a punter like that and Texas out of timeouts, but obviously we will never know.

• Like Like x 1
  29. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

I think they waited too long to put Sam back in the game. He was bouncing around on the sidelines. He obviously wanted to go back in.He'd been cleared by the doctors. He never would have taken that sack that Shane took. I think we win if Sam comes back in a play or two earlier.

• Like Like x 1
  30. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

Idk man he looked like he was out laying on the sidelines after the hit. Rather safe than sorry at lease maybe take a timeout and get a good evaluation on him

• Like Like x 1