Texas vs. Texas A&M

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by NBHorn7, Mar 15, 2016.

1. harry_horns

harry_horns 250+ Posts

I would like to say I'm proud of the kids, but I'm sorry, that was just shameful.

All of the runners left on base, making countless errors, and giving a batter a second chance in the biggest inning in the season. At 7-10, I don't see very much potential in this team, and they might as well pack it in so Augie can be shown the door.

Absolutely no leadership on this baseball team, and that starts at the top. I honestly can't remember a much mentally weaker team of Texas men's sports in my lifetime other than the 2016 Texas baseball team...

God, it has sucked to be a Longhorn as of late

2. johnnyg88

johnnyg88 500+ Posts

I would have sworn I've seen this game before. Props to the guys for tying it and and making it a game. Our choice of ninth inning relievers needs to be re-thunk. We battled. Pack up and get out of that town.

• Like Like x 1
  3. VulcanHorn

VulcanHorn 100+ Posts

Watching Texas Baseball has become bad for my health. I can't remember seeing a team lose in so many bad ways. Tonight tops it all. Had to turn off the TV. I'm going to have nightmares seeing all those Jethro-looking gomers cheering in the stands. And that includes the women.

• Like Like x 1
  4. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

So it looked like a usual loss for Texas, played pretty well.

Two errors score a couple of runs. Cooper pitching fairly well, then a fly ball keeps carrying and ducks over the wall for two more runs.

Texas keeps stranding runners, not scoring. The bullpen had shut down A&M and then another ninth inning Texas rally.

Texas plates two and has the tying runs on at second and third, no outs, then two outs. It looks like the Horns will let another game slip away, with an aborted ninth inning rally.

But Boswell singles to left, Texas actually gets a break, on a high throw to the plate, that allows the tying run to score.

You thought maybe Barrera would come through and give Texas the lead, but he just got under a fast ball and the inning is done.

So you bring in Culbreth and he gets the lead hitter to hit a foul pop, on the right side, on the foul line. Clemens is backing out and about to make the catch, then he peels away. It's obvious he was called off by Baker, who ran right by the ball and it dropped almost fair, six feet behind him.

That gave me and probably many Longhorn fans a real since of dread. Fears were realized by the the homer, to end the game.

What are you going to do? Good things and bad things, but you still lose to of all teams, the Aggies.

You want to be happy, for the comeback, but still the taste in your mouth is very bitter.

It's the story of the season, so far, will it get better, hard to say, hope so.

Still this one, that was very hard to take. Back for the weekend series against Tulane.:hookem:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  5. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

NB,

Thanks for the link to watch, although that fiasco, otherwise known as our third base coach, nearly had me buying a new laptop in the morning.

Holding Clemens, then sending him was sheer genius. A good throw would have had him after the hesitation, which was not Clemens' fault. With the throw going home, and the catcher having to leap and them rolling on the ground, our runners are standing on first and second rather than second and third.

What the hell? The LF double clutches and throws 8-9 feet high at the plate, and our third base coach is too damn busy watching the play to do his job?

For whomever remarked about the adventures in fielding at first base, that "untouched error", which resulted in the walkoff, was not Clemens' fault. The second baseman called him off and then never picked up the ball again. Give him credit, he only overran it buy 4-5 feet, but he had no idea where it was until it hit the ground.

The rally was indeed wonderful, only to be tossed away because of lack of fundamentals. Too much money spent and too much talent for the results being produced.

6. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Don't even have words.:brickwall::brickwall::brickwall:

7. harry_horns

harry_horns 250+ Posts

Exactly. So pathetic that baseball and football, two programs that are supposed to be some of near or at the pinnacle of the sport, have losing records.

Man, Texas has fallen a long, long way in the past few years

8. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

9. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

This was their super bowl. Aggy gonna get excited.

10. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Take care of business, and all you have to do is smile or laugh at the classless piece of ****.

Thanksgiving game in 1977, pregame locker room at the Cesspool on the Brazos, Fred Akers - "The Aggies have already done all they know how to do - march, hut, and holler. Now we do what we do best, and that's kick their ***".

• Like Like x 2
  11. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

So is it true Aggie fans were chanting "SEC SEC?"

12. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

It really does seem like rinse and repeat at this point. The pitching probably hasn't been quite as bad as it seems mainly because we always seem to make the costly error (recorded as such or not) once we get to the bullpen. It's like this team seems to tense up once the starter leaves, and all of a sudden it's just waiting for that next mistake, and it invariably happens. (Although in this case it was Cooper who started the slide himself when he couldn't field the bunt.)

This team clearly is lacking in mental toughness - and I say that as someone who considers that phrase a bit of a cliche that we use to describe something we can't put our finger on. But I think it fits in this case. There's no reason this team should be this bad defensively.

The offense is what it is and at this point I think we're just accustomed to needing to hold teams under 4 runs to win. That philosophy doesn't work when you can't catch a pop fly in foul territory.

13. MudHorn

MudHorn Admin Moderator

But that would be out of character for you.
    Something something forks something something
    It must suck to be you with that attitude you carry around. This Longhorn is always proud to be one. :hookem:

• Like Like x 3
  14. 56 Bells

56 Bells 500+ Posts

Tough loss....but there have been 6 really tough losses thus far this season...uggh.....

Oh well....time for Big XII play.....let's sweep the Frogs!
    Hook'Em

15. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Thought we had them when it was tied, then bam! Too bad, hate losing to the ags.:puke: Better days to come though. :hookem:

16. harry_horns

harry_horns 250+ Posts

@MudHorn Actually it would not, I say I'm proud of the players all the time after tough losses. Just go back and look at any basketball thread, particularly @OU.

Once again, sick burn with the forks. You must kill it at the office.

It must suck to be you with the clouded and framed judgment you already have when you have no idea what you're talking about :smile1:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  17. car54

car54 1,000+ Posts

Very frustrated.....

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
  18. car54

car54 1,000+ Posts

Do you really think we can play with TCU ?

• Like Like x 1
  19. n64ra

n64ra 1,000+ Posts

Let's focus on Tulane first.

20. 56 Bells

56 Bells 500+ Posts

I bet we win the series against TCU....so, yep...I do think we can.

• Like Like x 1
  21. car54

car54 1,000+ Posts

12 out of 18 opponents have scored 3 or fewer runs against TCU pitching, 11 out of 18 games they have scored 7 or more runs....They out slugged USC to take that series......and you think we can win the TCU series with this team ?????

22. 56 Bells

56 Bells 500+ Posts

I do. We've had 7 games this season where we could have won....had Skip not made a poor pitching decisions. We're starting to hit the ball. Overall, including this weekend, our starting pitchers have done very well. Skip just keeps pulling pitchers at the wrong time and putting in very questionable pitchers to take their places. Oh well.
    I still think we can win the series against TCU. It's now or never for this team. The window of opportunity is closing fast.

23. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

By all means tell which seven games these are. You were already proven wrong once. Who do you bring in today, Malmin? He is the only non freshman available right now. Sawyer is out and Cooper isn't ready, Wellman pitched three innings yesterday.

It's a pretty short staff, if you haven't noticed.

How many games would we have won if we were only a average hitting team? How many without making so many errors?

You never deal in any specifics, just this random stuff.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016