Texas vs USC game thread

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Olehornfan, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

I'm just hoping it's not a ACL/MCL thing with Connor.

2. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

Why did he even make the trip? Horrific game plan and play calling. But the game was closer than my wildest dreams. The team should be proud of themselves.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

4. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

So he just said, "We can't survive on one or two yard runs." I don't agree that it was obvious they couldn't run the ball. That's the frustrating thing; to hear a conclusion that doesn't appear to be true.

"...Going down swinging" would have meant going for two...

• Like Like x 1
  5. BigBull

BigBull 25+ Posts

The offensive Coordinators first goal should be to get CW 5-7 carries ASAP. Give him a feel of the game. Speed, Etc. After that most backs talent starts to show. Good or bad

• Like Like x 1
  6. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

If they thought he'd be safer running into a jammed middle, I don't know why. He is not as strong as Warren in any respect. Certainly not accustomed to protecting the ball from very strong men trying to take it away in a scrum.
    I really think they thought they could catch usc sleeping, not expecting sam to keep it again. But that blows up because when Sam came to the line, he could see that usc was jamming the middle. As a freshman he doesn't have freedom to change the play or call a time out to discuss it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. OrangeShogun

OrangeShogun 500+ Posts

Ah bystander, perhaps the most egregious of the "shoulda done this, shoulda done that" backseat coaches. Evidently, from the context of your posts, you're just incapable of appreciating an extraordinary effort like we just witnessed. Happy about the loss? Euphoric? Hardly, but certainly able to recognize improvement and effort. I know, I know, shoulda done this, shoulda done that!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Plus Sam had to be tired

9. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

You came on cussing everyone out. You deserved the response you got.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

I disagree sometimes moral victories are valid

11. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Dude chill. This is just fans (“backseat coaches”) talking about the game.

• Like Like x 2
  12. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I don't. But that's why we have forums. It doesn't have anything to do with criticism of the players or the coaches. It has to do with the fact that it was a loss. Herman was ripped by everyone after Maryland. Now we are to be happy with a loss? There was measurable improvement. But it's one game.

What did you think after Notre Dame last year? I was at that game. Everybody thought the ship was righted. That coach got fired. A moral victory is what they do East of here. You can build on today. We'll see if they do.

13. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

I kinda disagree cause Warren would have been stuffed cause they would expect him to run. So I would fake that to him and pitch it to someone going around the end wide. We probably don't have that play.

14. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

I'm no coach but the play calling seemed ******

• Like Like x 2
  15. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

Yeah win or lose doesn't matter for this game. But long term, as in next year I see us a true national contender. Fact. That effort was the best I've seen since 05.

• Like Like x 1
  16. OrangeShogun

OrangeShogun 500+ Posts

Not cussing everyone, just all you whiny-***, belly-aching *******. :smile1:
    BTW, I retract my statement about you being an egregious back seat coach, that was inaccurate and a bit out of line on my part.
    I know a fair amount about football, but not nearly as much as D1 coaches. I learned a long time ago that they're calling plays and formations based upon their interpretation of the evidence they see on the field. Easy for all of us to second guess, but...
    Tough loss despite an incredible effort. Hopefully we've turned a corner of sorts and this type of effort and physicality will become the norm and not the exception. Good night.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Well let's kick some booty.i believe Sam did a lot,i mean alot, of growing in this game. So we have two gamers on our hands

• Like Like x 2
  18. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

Beck and the o line coach gotta go

19. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

I am not happy with a loss. I am happy we almost beat the number 4 team in the nation without our best offensive lineman and getting a lot bad calls on their turf. So we just agree to disagree

20. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

TH screwed up by not going for the field goal in the first q. He has cost us two wins with his bad decisions. He seems like he is too excited in the first quarter to make rational decisions. But I ain't hating. And Orlando has been great The last two games.

• Like Like x 2
  21. FourHorner

FourHorner 100+ Posts

I am happy we played hard.

22. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

They gave us that game and we still couldn't win it

23. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Maryland wasn't #4 and we played them at our house and lost. Expectations were high before that loss. Tonight, many expected USC to win by 21+ points. The effort by the D was excellent, but they were on the field too long. Sam is a true frosh in his second start. I hate to lose but the result was not was bad as expected. We get them in Austin, I expect a better result.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Well if we replace them with Gilbert and his line coach then I would be OK with that, otherwise I am not so sure about that.

25. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

Post-game presser, he talked about Warren only averaging 3.8 per carry with along of 5 yards (on a whopping four carries).

In a game like this, I will GLADLY take 3.8 since that says we are STILL getting a first down every three touches. Not to mention, him pounding that line WOULD have worn them down and created openings and weakness as the game went on.

Defense still concerns me going to conference play given that they were great against the run but gave up far too much through the air...and the B12 is not exactly a run-oriented conference...

• Like Like x 2
  26. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

You stay classy, SC fans

27. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

"no moral victories" - This is rhetoric and coach speak, in my opinion. It also depends on the intent. I was so bummed when it ended that way. We lost, and could have won.
    But our guys played with so much heart. Our defense turned in a top notch performance. I was definitely experiencing satisfaction.

You just can't blame a fumble on the coaches. Unless it is some tricked up play. You run the ball up the middle, you cover the ball with both hands. It doesn't make sense to blame the coach for that.

What is wrong with our offensive coaches? They can say what they want about 1 and 2-yard runs, but it will never work if you never stick with it. They're pass happy. They see incomplete passes as more positive than a 2-yard run. That made me crazy.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Because of how badly we were roughed up by Maryland.

29. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I'd say right there is why I can't call it a moral victory. The defense was amazing. If they can keep that going then this thing has a chance to gain serious momentum. But it's one game. Going for it would have been the way to walk away knowing you took the chance for a real victory.

It feels better this morning after thinking it could be a blow-out. But they have to build on it. Even Herman said no moral victories. There's a lot of loose threads to braid yet.

30. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

Naw been there done that not Gilbert he seems to fade and gets to predictable in his play calling but I think he may have done a better job than beck albeit this would have been his second year with Shane. Herman needs to take over the play calling if this defense has turned the corner with looks like it has from the last 2 games we can't go out and keep playing like this on offense.