TEXAS VS USC game thread

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by WorsterMan, Sep 15, 2018.

1. LHABSOB

LHABSOB 1,000+ Posts

So I'm biased but I don't think there will ever be a crowd as loud as '90 Houston or Ricky's record breaking game. Similar to ND but that game had the excitement of the 3 OTs. I'll say this, it was the loudest and best our student section has been in years!

• Like Like x 3
  2. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Yep, a good win.
    So glad to see Beck involved.
    This was not a good USC team.
    And a few of our drives were kept alive by blown calls and USC penalties.
    Hell, if they kick a field goal instead of going for it on 4th and goal they lead at half. (It appears Herman has learned this lesson.)
    I'm hoping the light finally came on for the defense. They looked more like last years the second half.
    Sam looked better but receivers also made some outstanding catches. Only one brain fart in his own endzone and the refs bailed him out.
    All in all, an enjoyable game and good win.

Now comes the real test in B12 play.
    Hell, Kansas scored 55 on Rutgers.
    I'm standing on the first step to climb back on the Herman bandwagon.
    C'mon TCU.
    Hook'em!! :hookem::bevo:

• Like Like x 6
  3. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

Idk if it was mentioned or not but damn it feels good to have a kicker

• Like Like x 6
  4. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

I had plans on calling myself out last night by reposting that with "called it!", but I got too drunk and forgot. Thanks for doing that!

5. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Easy, I have to disagree. When it comes to Sam, I have been a huge skeptic and a constant critic (as HF knows), but I thought he played an outstanding game last night. He threw the ball well — not perfect, but there were some terrific throws, at times he made excellent decisions like dumping passes out of bounds to avoid sacks, he ran well, slid once at a critical juncture, and was elusive in the pocket. I don’t have the skill set to accurately grade out his performance, but I’ll go out on a limb and say that it would probably start with an “A.” (Where’s Hpslugga when we need him?)

Shane “might” have made a few throws that Sam didn’t, maybe, but it would be hard to image a better performance from Shane than the one we saw last night from Sam. If he plays like that every game, we’re going to win most if not all of them.

Let me add that the play-calling and clock management was “much better” than what we have been seeing in the Herman era. That keeps up and again, we’re going to win plenty of games.

• Like Like x 6
  6. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Agree, but at least now they finally have a game to be proud of.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

8. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

Rumor is USC is going to self-report violations regarding their punter.

He's to be "distanced" from the team, and last night's game will be forfeited, not be recorded as a loss, so USC will still be 5-0 against Texas.

Two birds with one stone.

Just kidding.

Update, 9/19: USC K McGrath out for season with torn ACL
    Well, he's out for the season with a torn acl, apparently suffered during his blocked FG attempt that was returned for a Texas TD.

• Like Like x 6
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  9. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

I don't know.
    Looked like he hit him right in the face mask with the crown of his helmet.
    That's a no-no.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Vol Horn 4 Life

Agree. If you watch closely he literally launches himself into the receiver with his head down. I think if he had kept his head up instead of down it wouldnt have been called. The SC linebacker did the exact same thing hitting Sam with the same results. Had he kept his head up he wouldnt have gotten ejected either.

11. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Yep. At least the booth was consistent with the targeting calls. If you called one you had to call the other.

12. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

• Like Like x 2
  13. duff_man

duff_man 250+ Posts

It's that Matthew McConaughey fist to chest beat. I can tell the band and the songs played through the speakers are trying to drive more energy through the crowd.

14. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

The original author can be reached at @malikjefferson
    Good luck with that
    We will all be pulling for y'all

15. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Very cool of VY to set these guys up

• Like Like x 4
  16. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 4
  17. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

Right after the block Brandon Jones destroys the holder #81

• Like Like x 2
  18. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

Also we can't hear young people sounds anymore. Our middle aged and older ears have natural sound dampening to them. But I 2nd 1990 Houston game. Loudest event I have ever been to

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  19. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

I’m not discrediting him in anyway, he doesn’t even look like the same kid from that Maryland game. Just saying Shane would have nailed those deep throws to duvernay over the middle and a few others but sam is getting it done I wouldn’t pull him at all at this point he is building his confidence. At this rate though looks like Shane will be able to shirt and hopefully end up a grad transfer and a few years to play somewhere else

• Like Like x 1
  20. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  21. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Could he have been flagged on that block in the back?

22. Vol Horn 4 Life

Who cares where we can reach the original author? You posted someone else's opinion and we posted our opinion. Has nothing to do with contacting him. I'm sure he really cares about what we have to say.

23. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

I have about come to the conclusion that any hit that sends the football and/or helmet and/or mouthpiece flying is going to get a targeting call by definition. Doesn't matter how the hit was made. Goes with the wosification of the game.

• Like Like x 2
  24. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Viper, I’ve moved from your position to being an advocate of strict enforcement. The speed of the game and strength of the players has forced the change. We have players dying prematurely due to concussions, and perhaps for the first time in my lifetime parents are “frequently” pushing their kids away from football to other sports due to legitimate concerns about safety.

One of my frustrations is that helmet technology has not advanced to the extent that it should have. That said, there is plenty of power and money behind that effort which includes a group that has Bill Gates as a participant.

Just my opinion but, dramatically improve the helmets and the concussion threat will be greatly reduced. But until then, we have a huge issue.

• Like Like x 3
  25. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

26. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Even without the sacks, they only rushed for 21 yards - and 23 of them came on one play!

27. LonghornDave

LonghornDave 1,000+ Posts

yes

28. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

Joe....Can you tell me where BJ Foster was on depth chart entering the USC game?
    Was he a starter or does he spell Brandon?

29. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

Love when Gus Johnson calls our games

30. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Agree.