Texas vs. WVU Game 2

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by NBHorn7, May 7, 2016.

1. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

2. car54

car54 1,000+ Posts

Same song..... third verse next year.

3. 56 Bells

56 Bells 500+ Posts

Augie? What about Skip? This is most dysfunctional pitching staff I've seen in years at UT. And Skip must have already set a national record for number of pitching changes in a single season. I'm beginning to think every time Skip passes gas, he thinks it's a "sign" to change pitchers....almost always with horrible results. Game after game, series after series, he marches to the mound every time one of our pitchers gets into the slightest bind. He's got to know we have absolutely NO relief pitching. Why constantly change pitchers? Our opponents get their starting pitchers through the 6th and 7th innings regularly. By the time the first game is over, Skip's used up 3/4's of our pitching staff for the entire series.
    As for Augie, he's got 1 year left on his contract, so I think he'll stay through next season if he chooses to. But he sure seems frustrated with this year's team....more than I've ever seen him show. So he might be fed up!

I'm looking at all of the good pitchers around the Big XII and at schools in Texas, and wondering why Skip passed on them. Or did they choose other schools for their pitching coaches....hmmm. Skip's reputation is starting to slide, as is Augie's, I suppose.

Oh well.....this year has been more than weird in so many ways. Odd errors that cost us games by players who, usually, have great command at their positions.....upper class men getting frustrated with their at-bats, constantly, when an early call by the umpire gets them upset.....not to mention the dysfunction in the outfield until Augie put Zane back in center field.
    I see so much talent on this team, but absolutely no consistency from game to game. And the mental errors are astounding. Give me 5 more Zane's and I'll be happy. He's got the edge, both mentally and physically, and he seems to totally understand that baseball is a cruel game....our other players don't seem to understand that and work to enhance the mental toughness it takes to play the game.
    For most of the players, the game seems to have beaten them in a cruel and twisted way.

Okay..i'm finished ranting......here's hoping next year will be a complete reversal from this year....here's hoping our players learn that the game is 75% mental.....here's hoping Augie and Skip get the players in a position to perform at the level they are capable of.

4. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

The turn-around ship has sailed under Augie. 51-53 the last two seasons says it all.

It's garbage to steal another season from players and paying fans just so the already all-time wins leading coach can bomb another season attempting to reach 2,000.

We all appreciate Augie's contribution and accomplishments here, but the program is bigger than any one coach.

All we are doing now is further diluting our stature like we did in football...while Aggy and TCU deeper entrench themselves as the new powers of Texas baseball.

Just look at how hard it's been to drag Texas football out of the hole we dug by waiting a year too late to make the change.

Right now Augie is 29 wins away from 2,000 with only 5 reg season games left. He's won only 21 games so far this year.

Augie and his staff...it's time to toss out the whole bunch and provide the abundance of returning starters with a real shot at success under a competent, hungry staff.

Further downgrading the program, stealing another year from the players' eligibility, and robbing fans just to slowly pad Augie's win total is absurd.

Last edited: May 8, 2016
  5. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Anything I have left to say on this season would just be :deadhorse:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

Yes I agree it's beating the dead horse...let me apologize beforehand. :smile1: But the passive acceptance of mediocrity in UT sports these days is maddening.

The illusion created Augie's chase for 2,000 is that once achieved it will be some holy, untouchable feat.

Even with another season and 2,000 wins, Augie will rank second in all-time wins just 4 years from now.

FSU's Mike Martin (1,885 wins) is currently 86 wins behind Augie (1,971 wins). Martin is 5 years younger and produced 50, 47, 43, and 44 wins the last 4 seasons.

This year he's 31-13 with 10 reg season games left, conf tourney, and playoffs. Most likely he'll reach 43+ wins in 2016.... for the 5th season in a row.

Once Augie hangs it up, Martin will easily break his record within 3 seasons.

While 2,000 wins is an amazing accomplishment, it's no excuse for Texas baseball to forfeit another season when Augie's record will be surpassed only 3 years later.

• Like Like x 1
  7. 56 Bells

56 Bells 500+ Posts

I disagree, obviously. Augie's brought us 2 national championships. Yeppers, these last 2 years have been bad (esp. this year), but things can change in a heartbeat, especially in a sport like baseball.
    2,000 wins is something almost 'immortal.' Give Augie another year, and let our program celebrate it...along with a great season next year.

As for FSU's Martin, you never know....he could become a pro coach. He could die in a car accident. Who knows! An he may not have such great seasons he's had over the last 4 next year.
    It would be a black eye on our school and our baseball program to relieve the coach with the most wins in NCAA history with 1 year remaining on his contract.....and 1 season away from the 2,000 win total.
    Hook'Em

8. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

Mike Martin has coached at FSU for 37 years and is 72 years old, he is not ever going pro. He will never be offered by the pros and wouldn't take it if they did. It's rediculous to even consider it.

The car wreck comment is totally inappropriate and should be taken down asap. He was in a serious car accident last season, that could have killed him, through no fault of his own. It's an embarrassment to this board to say a thing like that, under any circumstances, but especially after what happened last year.

FSU’s Martin ‘lucky’ to be alive

Mike Martin is a well respected coach and has always been a genteman and a great ambassador for college baseball.

9. car54

car54 1,000+ Posts

The rate Augie is going it may take more than next season to get his 2000th win.

10. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

Martin has also exceeded 40 wins every single season since joining FSU in 1992. To say he won't do it 4 more seasons, pass Augie in wins, and still be younger when he does than Augie is today is nonsense.

11. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  12. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

Nice correction. For some reason wiki broke his records at FSU into two sections...FSU (metro conference) and FSU (ACC). Typically record breaks like that are only done with change of schools. My bad.

So that gives Martin 36 consecutive seasons with 43+ wins at FSU (1980-2015).

2016 wins are on track to make it 37 seasons in a row. Which further proves his jumping Augie's win total within 3 years after retirement is a near certainty.

Face it, Augie will own the second most wins in college baseball history with or without a final season. There's nothing he can do to stop Martin in that area.

Regardless of his eventual 2nd place win total, Augie will still be regarded as the best coach in college baseball history...National championships: Augie - 5 , Martin - 0.

Texas baseball needs to do what is best for the health of our program....NOW.

Last edited: May 10, 2016
  13. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

Rod Dedeaux says whu, whuuuuuu?

• Like Like x 1