Texas WBB 2024-2025 Season

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by racerx5908, Apr 2, 2024.

1. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Starting off.

2. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Questions:
    1. Rori played in 12 games. The rule is 30% or 8 games whichever is more and you're allowed to redshirt. 12/38 games = 31%. Will NCAA grant the waiver?

2. A lot made out of "Coach Rori". How will that realistically translate onto the court?

3. Will they be making a out of season trip this year to play exhibitions and just give the players a bonus trip for fun? I know that when Karen was still coaching there was a plan 2-3 years down the road to maybe take a "road trip" to Australia to play exhibition games (also, I think this was Karen's plan to scout potential Aussie players for the future)

4. IF the NCAA don't grant that RS, then next year will be Rori's last year? Does that help with Chavez?

3. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Racer What was the situation with Soares from Iowa State last year? I understood she “just” missed a Red Shirt year?? Does that have any precedent in this case?

4. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Looking them up, Soares played 13 out of 32 total games. So that's 40%. Easy rejection, but ISU was not happy with the answer.

5. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I have always thought that redshirt rule stinks across the board for ALL athletes. IMO the percentage should be significantly increased. Why do they take away a season from a kid due to a season-ending injury when the athlete didn't even get to play half of it? Honestly, I think it ought to be 2/3 because that's the only thing that comes close to constituting almost a full season. At the very least it ought to be 1/2. But that's my opinion and it's worth about as much as used bath water. LOL

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. BLucky

BLucky 250+ Posts

If the bath water is still warm it's worth more than if it's cold...

• Funny Funny x 3
  7. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

All the correct things have been said by Booker and Harmon and Schaefer regarding next year. HOWEVER…..it will be an adjustment for all. Booker’s role will be the most significant change…..is she a two or a three plus back-up one? Harmon’s role will be modified based on her knee. It’ll be hard to be a full court pressure player like she was. Holle will have a role in there as well as Lee. A shooter to replace Gonzalez seems important. Schaefer will make it all work and the kids will be ok….they just want to win. Booker will be huge but it’ll be interesting to see her role significantly changed. Already looking forward to summer workouts.

• Agree Agree x 5
  8. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Or a stretch 4? I was extolling the virtues of Maddie's flexibility yesterday. It sure gives Vic a piece to use as a matchup nightmare for most opponents - find the glaring mismatch and use Maddie there, while using our other roster pieces to fill in where Maddie isn't. I am assuming the freshmen can come in and play valuable minutes at the 2,3, and 4 spots themselves, spelling DeYona, AMo, and Holle. Add Jak and Amina to the mix (assuming they both stay), and we have a lot of chess pieces for Vic to use.

• Like Like x 4
  9. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

I can’t remember who was on the floor when Schaefer put Booker at the short corner against the zone. Without a lot of review work, typically that player is the four….perhaps not a true definition of stretch four. Too technical for me, but certainly she is a match-up nightmare at the four.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I loved that adjustment against the zone.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I use that term because Maddie's range, mobility, and quickness exceed that of players traditionally thought of as a 4.

• Like Like x 2
  12. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Last comment before I head to golf course…… Booker provides different look at the one than Harmon. Harmon gets into the paint with quickness/speed and savvy. Booker uses her size extremely well. I remember some opposition coach mentioning how she can “look over” the opponent guard and make easier entry passes and shoot over. When watching TV, I need to remember the difficulties of being a short guard and why they don’t throw it inside more. The TV distorts due to higher angle of view. Booker doesn’t have that problem. Booker’s size, athleticism, skill, flexibility, range and other happy words….are some of the reasons Schaefer likes her at any position. Booker has just scratched the surface of the finished diamond she’ll become in the next three years. Apologies to the 80’s, but Booker’s …..”the future is so bright I’ve gotta wear shades”.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 4
  14. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Horns are ranked by Crème at #2. Assuming Harmon heals adequately, and Lee/Preston provide defensive quickness along with Holle, I think you’ll see Schaefer return to his full court pressure game. As mentioned by everyone, a replacement/upgrade to Faye will be coming in from as yet unknown place. I think it’s 50/50 on bringing in a shooter. There will be some terrific teams around the country next year. The full court pressure might just be the factor that separates Horns from others.

15. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

So much to learn about teams not named South Carolina, Tennessee or LSU

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2024
  16. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

I don't see it. Even with a Rori, Texas doesn't have the overall guard play to compete with South Carolina. Shay Holle as your starting 2 guard isn't going to cut it.

• Like Like x 1
  17. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

We'd need a transfer or one of the two freshmen to take that spot. Shae Holle would be a very valuable backup on the wing to provide a defensive spark.

18. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Lee appears as candidate for starting two guard…..later in the year. Holle isn’t gonna go from a 40 minute player to mop-up. Holle will start and depending on Lee’s game, Lee might get 15 -20 minutes a night. The obvious clue is in scouting reports, where the experts talk about her good mid-range game AND need to develop her three point shot. It appears Lee might have a well rounded game……with need for future development of outside shooting. Remember that Holle was NOT a good outside shooter first couple years but now is. In my fair and biased opinion, Holle and Lee are the two guards. Harmon and Booker and Preston the point guards and Booker is the point forward at the three and sliding to the point at times. The award that Booker got is for small forward which is the 3.

19. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Nope, Shae won't ever be relegated to mop-up duty... she's way too valuable for that. But you need three-level threats on the perimeter so that means being able to create your own shot when necessary. I think we'll have a good mix of skills on the perimeter and minutes will be shared accordingly. I can tell you that, barring injury, all three of those freshmen are going to see significant minutes.

20. hornsup1986

hornsup1986 25+ Posts

Rori, Shay/Lee and Maddie are a pretty good back court, IMO.

21. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

A healthy Rori and Booker are great pieces, I'm just not sold on Shae Holle being a starting 2 guard in the SEC. I also view Lee as a wing and not a guard IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  22. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

I’m such a bad analyst of players. I lose faith in new players when they struggle early, then dismiss em. Enter Maul and Jack. Certainly Maul struggled last year. Jack did as well and wished she had struggled less since she was a sophomore. Now the newest is being slotted in ahead of them by me. Maul has to improve her handle and get quicker(knee) to stay ahead of Preston. Jack is the one at risk to losing minutes to Carlton unless she steps up her decision making. Several players could move up or down the pecking order depending on their commitment to improving in the offseason.

23. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

I find it pretty amazing that SHAY HOLLE, going into her 5th/6th season, the year after playing the head of the snake of a Coach Vic defense,playing close to 40 minutes a game still has something to prove on this thread/room..."can't play guard in the SEC" give me a......break...damn :bevo:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  24. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I think Shay and Jordan are likely to be the first 2 options at SG with Gisella and Jak behind them for those minutes. I can’t agree that Jak is being chased by Justice though. Jak usually came in for a SG, sometimes the 3, to guard on the perimeter. Justice is a 4 or a 3 in a big lineup, you probably don’t want out defending at the 3-pt line.

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Jak is frustrating for me. She has a shooter/scorers mentality but forces things too frequently. Her passing is suspect at times as is her turnovers. She’s long and can get in passing lanes defensively. Her perimeter skills in defense against quality quickness is reflective of a 6’-2” body trying to guard quicker players. For me, she has to be used in the right matchup. I would love to see her elevate her game next year. It can still happen for her. To me…..Carlton is simply a more solidly skilled smart versatile player. How fast that translates to speed of college game is the question. I think Carlton will be playing more than expected by later in the year. She looks the part. And yes….she’s more of a 4/3 than Jak is at the 3 (man, I’ll have to review film to see those SG minutes).

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

To begin the 2023-24 season, the backcourt starters were Rori, Shaylee, and Madi. Shay Holle was not a starter for the first 12 games of the season.

While Shay stepped up big time in a revised lineup once Rori got injured in December, she played at the wing/small forward and not at shooting guard since Gonzalez was in that slot; she's versatile enough on offense to play adequately there, but she can't create her own shot like most shooting guards should be able to do. On defense, it's difficult for her to guard those quick, penetrating guards.

Where Vic starts Booker (SG or SF) next season could determine if Holle starts or comes off the bench. If none of the newcomers can earn a starting spot (at SG or SF), and if Maul doesn't regain her pre-injury form and improve her skills this offseason, I can see Booker shifting to SG. That leaves Holle to remain the starter at SF.

Quality depth is a good problem to have. We'll know more about our options once the outgoing/incoming transfer portal dust has settled.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  27. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

Some of you all have Lee quickly being a starter or sharing time for a lot of minutes.
    I'm not disagreeing, but am curious -- what are you basing this on? I looked at her highlight videos on YouTube and know she and Carlton were in the top ten on the recruiting list. Do you have more information than that? I hope she is that good as a freshman (like Booker), but wouldn't necessarily expect it. Chasity Patterson and Rellah Booth were also in the top 10 and we know how that ended up. (Not to mention Ariarran.)

28. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Funny... some people on this board were questioning how good Booker was until they got to witness it for themselves (even though others in this board were trying to tell them).

Some freshmen step in ready to go, some don't. We'll see.

• Agree Agree x 2
  29. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

It sounds like you are trying to tell us how good Lee is. Hope you're right.

30. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

JoeD…..my opinions on Lee are mainly of hope….and hope is a bad strategy. On the other hand, after viewing what little sample size video available, high school ranking, South Carolina wanting her, recruiting gurus, ranking services experts, team need, and extreme off-system optimism, all has led to my view of meaningful minutes of Lee later in season. We all know that depending on the recruiting rankings is fool’s gold based on how many of the top 20 or so transfer out after one year. So maybe discount that by 3.1416 points. I wish actual gym viewing was available but my child bride has put a halt to me flying to Cali to scout. My optimism and opinion is worth what you paid for it. But it’s all I got tonight.

• Like Like x 1