Texas WBB 2024-2025 Season

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by racerx5908, Apr 2, 2024.

1. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

My only point is this, until Shay Holle steps onto a court and proves that she can not do something why are some here assuming that an unproven freshmen will play before her. I'm no expert but if a player has earned respect they get it, period. I bet even in private no one would ever hear Coach say Shay Holle isn't a starter for him next year. I know it shouldn't bother me but it kinda does...lol :bevo:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Unless one of those freshmen comes in like Booker did or there's some major transfer in, either of which COULD happen, I see Shae as a starter to begin the season.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

She got burned by the very quick guards for NCSt, so now some people think that'll happen every game.

4. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

In the SEC most teams' backcourts will be similar to NC State's. There are those of us who understand the magnitude of the limitations Vic has coached up into champions, and then there are those of us who don't.

5. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

What's this hand-wringing about us going into the big bad SEC? Vic coached at Arkansas, A&M and Miss State. He knows the type of players it takes to play in that league and he was aware of the Texas move to the SEC before he took the job. Just like in football, the newly hired coaches immediately pivoted their recruiting to the type of play Texas is going to face in the SEC.

Also, 5 star players who don't like to play defense aren't even going to be recruited.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Last season was Holle's fourth in Vic's program; and, she was not a starter for the first 12 games. Was Vic "disrespecting" her by not starting her? No, he was playing the players who won the starting jobs during Fall camp.

Whether Holle starts this coming season or not isn't a sign of "disrespect". You have to earn your starting spot every practice and every game. Sometimes, there's just a better player in front of you at the same position and that player gets to start. What you did the prior season doesn't ensure you get a starting spot the following season(s).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Not sure who you're referring to, but I can tell you that I'm not one who is "hand-wringing." I'm excited about joining the SEC. I'm merely pointing out that we have to be better and quicker defensively going into our new league, which is relevant to the conversation that was being quoted. Maybe you didn't notice the context of the ongoing conversation regarding our perimeter players for next year and, unlike with the Big 12, the need to be able to guard quicker and more athletic teams on a regular basis.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2024
  8. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

flash34 -- South Carolina wanting Lee carries weight with me. I'm hopeful too, and sorry you can't go to Cali to check things out.

I'm not sure that the SEC is going to be so much more formidable than the Big 12 was, except USC and maybe LSU, what with Kim's weird ability to get people to go there. To me, Shay is the definite starter unless someone proves that they are considerably better.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I agree I don't think it's going to be more formidable, because the Big 12 has so many outstanding coaches who typically get the very most out of their teams. The SEC is just going to be different, and our roster needs to be prepared for that. But as @racerx5908 pointed out, our recruiting is already going in that direction. Part of me will miss the Big 12, but mostly I'm excited about the new challenges ahead.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2024
  10. Sangre Naranjada

Whenever I think that way I just recall how Tech, Baylor, ISU and other fans treated us for so many years, and I get over it real quick.

• Winner Winner x 5
  11. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 12
  12. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

I've thought about this in every sport and have come to the conclusion that there will be a big dropoff for the conference in every sport. They loved to trash us, but they are in bad shape without us and that will become very evident soon. And the craziest part for me is the way we were able to leave without technically paying a dime for the early departure.

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Truth!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Sangre Naranjada

Basketball may be the salvation of the Big XII. Other than that, I don't see much national success.

• Like Like x 1
  15. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

First, let me say I'm a big Taylor Jones fan. So, keep that in mind when I ask this question.

I only noticed THIS YEAR that Taylor spins the ball whenever she shoots the free throws. And then, I saw in a game that she actually spins the ball when she shoots from the "key". There is an exception when she's fighting for a rebound, gets it and then does an immediate put-back.

However, I noticed one game where she was muscling her way under the basket. I'm not sure if it was from a pass or a rebound, but she was very close to the basket and she started to spin the ball as she was trying to put it into the bucket. It missed. And I thought, "Oh wow. She spins the ball even when she's close to the bucket. When she's got time." I then wondered if that half spin may have caused her a half a second or more and it altered her shot.

Now, obviously, someone taught her to do that when she started playing basketball and it's 100% second nature and she doesn't realize she's doing it gametime.

Question: has anyone seen a player at the D1 level shoot like that?

16. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

Doesn't matter the sport we will be passionately disliked thru out the SEC. I think the target will be larger in the new league. I think CDC has the right coaches in place to win no matter the sport. I like the idea of the new/old rivalries we will see. We have the Moody, now if we can just get that new Softball facility...oops..wrong board..:bevo:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

For what it is worth, the Big 12 ended with 6 teams in the top 25. I believe the SEC had 2.

• Like Like x 6
  18. Sangre Naranjada

Yeah, but the two the SEC had were not afterthought type programs. The SEC was the only league with 2 representatives who survived to the Elite 8, unless my memory is faulty.

EDIT: Yes, my memory was faulty. The soon to be dissolved PAC12 had two reps also.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2024
  19. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

For me it's not about one league being better than the other, it's all about the different types of matchups that you face from one to the other. When the levels of talent are close to being equal, basketball is all about matchups.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

Thank goodness this is only an opinion/message board. :bevo:

• Like Like x 1
  21. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

Bingo. For women's basketball, I lament the move to SEC because Big 12 is a deeper conference night in - night out. And then with the additions of Arizona, Utah, and Colorado, it'll be even more competitive. We all understand it was a move based on money through football. I'll miss #Big12WBB.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Let's be honest. Visiting teams from the Big 12 conference weren't really attracting Longhorn fans to the Erwin Center or Moody the last few years; Oklahoma and Baylor might have been the only decent draws. From now on, schools like A&M, LSU, Tennessee, and South Carolina will be visiting Austin in alternating seasons, I believe. Definitely excited for some marquee home games for our fan base.

SEC has had the last 3 national champions. I think Baylor is the only team from the Big 12 team to advance to a Final Four in forever, and that was under a head coach who is now in the SEC. I think the strength of any conference fluctuates from season to season as players and coaches depart. Glad we have a head coach in Vic who has experience in the SEC.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. Horn6721

Horn6721 Hook'em

Why did Gaston enter transfer portal?

24. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

Honest answer, we don't know. If anyone on this board does know, they are not likely to spill all. I just know I will miss her. She wants to start and play starter minutes? I was always rooting for Dee. But I was also rooting for Taylor, Amina, Hadi, and Aaliyah. There are only so many minutes. And only five can start in any one game. I thought Dee lost out a lot this year. The four spot is owned by Moore to the extent her knees allow. Maddie will rarely come off the floor next season. And she can play one through four. At the five, Texas has Taylor and Tionna(?). If Tionna is not going to play much, perhaps that meant Dee would have to spend more time in the low post and she would rather not? I tell myself not to speculate and then off I go, speculating. She wants a school near a beach? She wants to play near her family in Houston? She wants a less demanding coach? Will be interesting to see where she lands.

• Like Like x 4
  25. Horn6721

Horn6721 Hook'em

That makes sense. I was just surprised
    but wish her ALL the best

• Like Like x 1
  26. hornsup1986

hornsup1986 25+ Posts

Lee looks pretty darn good; even from behind the arc which many feel is an Achilles heal for Texas.

• Like Like x 6
  27. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

• Winner Winner x 7
    • Like Like x 3
  28. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Like Vic says, "Shae Holle is everything that's right about college athletics."

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  29. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Fun fact: we had 148 total threes this year. In my mind it was more like 12.

• Funny Funny x 4
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2024
  30. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Never too early to get excited about our SEC conference schedule. This is the format for regular season and conference tournament:

Women's Basketball

• Regular season: Each season a team will play one rotating opponent home and away, plus the 14 remaining teams in single contests either home or away, for a total of 16 conference games.
    • SEC Women's Basketball Tournament: All 16 teams will compete in a single-elimination format, consistent with the current format but with two additional games. The top four seeded teams will continue to receive a bye through the first two rounds of the tournament.

I wonder who we will start out with as our home-and-away opponent. If the SEC decision-makers want "rivalry" games, then it will be OU, A&M or Arkansas. Kind of don't want it to be OU as I want to play someone else twice. I could see it being A&M.

On the other hand, if "marquee" national games (based on pre-season rankings) are the objective, then we will get South Carolina or LSU home-and-away.

• Like Like x 2