Texas welcomes Wildcats to Austin

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BabHorn, Feb 3, 2017.

1. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

On paper, this should be a Texas win. How hard it will be get that result is the question. It is a matter of pace. The end result is in the half court set, both will look to go inside-out. But Texas will fast break at every opportunity, off defensive rebounds, steals, off opponents’ made baskets. KSU plays a more deliberate style as indicated by their taking 70+ less shots in the same number of games.

Horns will bring three players in double digits (Ariel, Brooke & Joyner) with two others on the cusp (Kelsey @ 9.6 & LaShann @ 8.6). KSU doesn’t break down their stats by season and conference but they have three players listed among the top 30 scorers in the league: Breana Lewis, Kindred Wesemann, and Karlya Middlebrook.

Neither team is great at defending the 3 (Texas is fifth allowing 31.5% while KSU allows 37.0% for seventh. KSU’s Wesemann (2.5 3s pg) and Kaylee Page (1.5 3s pg @ 41.5%) and Texas’ Brooke (2.5 3s pg @ 45.2%) and Ariel (1.1 3s pg @41.4%) have to figure that they will have the opportunity to get some open looks during the game. Two years ago, Wesemann hit 8-11 from BTA in a 66-57 win at KSU. Bet both the Horns and KSU remember that. Although Texas has held her to 4-19 in the three games since, all Longhorn wins.

The other interesting battle will be inside where Kelsey and Joyner will face off with KSU’s own senior/freshman duo of Lewis and Eternati Willock, a name some may remember as there was talk at one time of her being a Texas recruiting target. However, she missed Wednesday’s game due to illness. So, it is unclear if she will be able to play Saturday or how effective she will be or long she will be able play. All four are among the top 14 rebounders in the league with Kelsey, Joyner & Lewis among the top seven.

Hope y’all enjoy the game in person. I will be sitting this one out due to illness.

http://www.kstatesports.com/news/kansas-state-visits-austin-to-face-12-13-texas-02-02-2017

• Like Like x 4
  2. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I know Coach Aston has been trying to keep the players' minds on the game at hand but I wouldn't be too surprised if the Longhorns didn't come out of the gate slowly/sloppily with Baylor only 2 days away. I hope I'm wrong.

3. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

This is where you want your team leaders to focus your players on the task at hand: beating KSU or that Monday game does not mean as much. This is one area where I believe the team has grown and learned to focus more on one game at a time.

I remembered this email from Coach Aston and will put part of it here as it applies to the KSU game and all the rest of the Feb. home games:

• Like Like x 1
  4. "Anna hook em"

"Anna hook em" 250+ Posts

I hope u are feeling better Bab
    I hope u are feeling better Babhorn, KSU scares me i say we will win but it will be a very close game.

5. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Thanks, Anna. Feeling better every day but it seems a slow process.

Something to do before the game Saturday, especially for those that follow Softball or might be interested. It will be over an hour before the WBB game starts. :
    from the AAS: http://www.hookem.com/2017/02/02/diamond-dust-texas-will-tested-early-often-2017/

6. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

http://www.texassports.com/news/2017/2/3/no-12-womens-basketball-preview-kansas-state-feb-4-2017.aspx

7. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

WOW! a story on the AAS about Texas WBB! Not exactly a pregame story but still it is a nice writeup about LaShann. It's hard to understand how someone with so much natural talent could struggle on the court. Glad she is learning to play within the flow of the game without worrying about mistakes. She and Joyner are probably the best athletic players on the squad.
    http://www.hookem.com/story/confident-lashann-higgs-beginning-excel-streaking-texas-women/

I remember this play. Didn't realize she had lost her mouthpiece, just that she had started and finished off a remarkable play.

• Like Like x 3
  8. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

They highlighted it on Game Plan this week - she referenced the '5-second rule'.

• Like Like x 1
  9. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

Glad you're feeling better, Babhorn. Thanks for prepping us so well for the KSU game.

• Like Like x 2
  10. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Just saw this on Twitter. Hope things work out for Tasia.

11. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Hope she's okay.

12. overseasbbfan1

overseasbbfan1 1,000+ Posts

Yep, me too, fingers crossed all is resolved satisfactorily. Hope to have you back soon, Tasia!

13. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

We barely escaped against KSU last year at home. Probably one of the worst games we played last season; but, Brady Sanders was the spark that led to the comeback and eventual win, IIRC.

I haven't watched KSU play this season. Lewis and Weisman are the players who are capable of giving us big problems. KSU is definitely one of the better teams in the Big 12 this season. I am surprised as I didn't think Coach Mittie would have success there, especially this early on.

Wish this game had been earlier in the day so the players would have more rest prior to the Baylor game on Monday. But, I guess the timeslot was chosen in order for LHN to televise the baseball game earlier in the day.

14. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

almost time for tipoff. Well, I think the baseball game is over. Looks like they are showing a lookback at a Texas-Baylor game.

15. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Gonna find out soon if KSU's Willock will be playing.
    Go, Kelsey! Rooting for you to break that 1000 pt benchmark in the first half! :hookem2:

16. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

poor start so far, down 6-0.

17. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

After a time out, Horns went on a 20-10 run to end the first quarter up, 20-16. Brooke & Joyner with 7 pts each. Wesemann (7 pts) and Middlebrook (5 pts) lead KSU. Lewis, KSU's starting C, is sitting with two fouls. No one for Texas has more than one foul.

18. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Now Wesemann and Lewis both have two fouls but both still on the floor.

• Like Like x 1
  19. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

brutal offensive second quarter for both teams. Texas scored 7 pts, KSU 10 pts. Horns up at the half, 27-26.

20. "Anna hook em"

It's a whole lot closer than I want it to be but it's still a lead at the half

• Like Like x 2
  21. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

Didn't really like our offense in first half. Coach was so right...we need a presence in the paint. We are better than this....

• Like Like x 1
  22. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Well...at least we are not in foul trouble. Here's hoping for some better offense in the 2nd half.

• Like Like x 2
  23. overseasbbfan1

The offense has to be better in the second half; only 5 players scored and Atkins with just 2; Higgs, Sutton, Hosey, Taylor, Underwood all with zero points. Of course some didn't see much action either. Holmes with just one rebound, she will certainly want to do better than that after the break.

• Like Like x 1
  24. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Would help if our announcers would tell us what's going on (technical?)

25. "Anna hook em"

On Brooke

26. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

It took em forever to even say there was a technical. Showed one replay.

27. "Anna hook em"

The 4 th quarter is ours #dominate

• Like Like x 1
  28. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

geez, this are our guys, at least know who made the TO. although I blame Brooke who seemed to stop.

• Like Like x 1
  29. overseasbbfan1

This is way too close for comfort, the Horns need to put this away the last 5 mins.

• Like Like x 1
  30. "Anna hook em"

Make the free throws