THANKSGIVING is a fitting ending day - please read

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Orangeblood, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Orangeblood

Orangeblood 1,000+ Posts

I'm tired of all the fighting.And I am pretty much the only reason this thing is still open.

Therefore, since my integrity is now apparently being questioned by some posters, I'm done.

I will ask Katy to turn everything off at approximately midnight of the 31st.

Feel free to post your memories, but flames will be deleted (as I have time).

So, after talking with Katy and considering some contractual and emotional ties, we agreed that, while we're still done, Thanksgiving gives everyone time to vent/memorialize/etc. and also figure out what's next.

Also, IF
    someone (or a group) we know and trust wants to keep HornFans going in a form that we are ok with, we would entertain giving it over to them. Just email me.

2. lnghorn96

lnghorn96 25+ Posts

Wait, what? I will truly be sad if this is the case [​IMG]

3. Mr. Fiesta

Mr. Fiesta 1,000+ Posts

Bummer, I'll miss the site but I understand. However, I won't visit any of the other sites, they're too damn crude and mean. [​IMG]

4. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

What??? And I was <250 posts from the 10k mark.

Thank you to you and Katy for the 15+ years of Hornfans. This will be the final nail in the coffin of this Husker fan conversing with Texas fans.

Good luck!

5. Olhorn

Olhorn 100+ Posts

This truly makes me sad. But kudos and many, many thanks to Robert and Katie. Many good times to remember.

6. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

HEY! It's not anywhere close to April 1. I'll fall on my sword and have you ban me from posting if you'll keep Hornfans going.

7. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

[​IMG] This was the only remaining intelligent and civil UT board left. The "worst" here are better than the "best" posters on shaggy for example. I will miss it. Thanks for the memories.

8. PropositionJoe

PropositionJoe 2,500+ Posts

i've been on hornfans since 2001. this is the most cordial and critical thinking horn fan site out there.

this makes me really really sad.

9. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

I cry as I write this. I have loved Hornfans as if it were family -- and in many respects it has been. I agree that this has been the last bastion of civility on the interwebs as far as Texas fans go. Too much hate and venom out there on the other sites.

This will leave a huge hole in my heart, but I understand completely. I'd better get to printing some stuff out that I want to keep.

Thank you, Katy and Robert, for welcoming me into your world and entrusting moderation of Cactus Cafe to me. This site will live in my heart forever.

[​IMG]

10. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

10/31 is going to be a sad, sad day for me. This website is home for me and many others... my alternatives are not appealing at all.

Robert and Katy - I am SO sad to hear that it has come to this - I wish banning TAPS would be a way to assuage you and get you to change your mind, but I understand. I know you and the mods have had to deal with years of needless bickering, name calling and general jackassery running this website (probably far more than we really know).

Let me personally say THANK YOU for this incredible forum that many of us have greatly enjoyed. Speaking for the majority of our posters we also thank you for your friendship as well as your generosity & kindness extended at the many tailgates you hosted.

My best wishes to you both!! [​IMG]

R.I.P. Hornfans [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. El Torito

El Torito 1,000+ Posts

I want you to know, "I did it for me. I liked it. I was good at it. I was alive."

Just remember that special love I had for all you!

Baby Blue

12. stanhin

stanhin 5,000+ Posts

Made it to 6000 posts. Wouldn't have lived long enough to hit 10000 anyway. Enjoyed most of my time here. Of course, we had to put up with a few jerks but nowhere near as many as shaggy bevo, etc. Thanks and best wishes. (Just realized what I will miss the most is posts from Lostman in Other Sports alerting me to when Cat will be pitching next. [​IMG])

13. dillohorn

dillohorn Guest

14. BrntOrngBld

BrntOrngBld 25+ Posts

WOW, just Wow. WM said it best and I can only empathize in your effort Robert and Katy.

I managed a Google Group for my very young subdivision years ago. I was called everything from a racist, to a male chauvinist. I was very happy when that little stint ended.

However, you two have been the best the internet can offer over the years. Hornfans was a place to go to get UT news before it hit the pressroom, and all those wonderful posters from years ago who have left. This will be missed.

Again, I completely understand and it is a bit more bitter than sweet for us all.

Take care, Godspeed, and HOOK'EM HORNS!!

Peace,

15. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

That's really a shame to hear, and it's a sad thing for sure. I totally understand the frustration, and I'm right there with you... but unfortunately that's just the internet now. You either moderate the crap out of it and have people call you names, or you let them go wild and they still call you names (along with each other).

Pretty sure it goes without saying that if you and Katy change your mind, none of us will hold it against you! But if not, thanks for all you've done. Not sure I'd even want to post on another site.

16. horn blooded

horn blooded 100+ Posts

Dang! This is the first site I visit in the morning and has been for years. I'll miss the funky icons.

17. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

The Link

I just wanted to post a link here as it's not baseball season and it might not be seen by many there. I wanted to be sure and thank Robert and Katy and all the posters here that made Hornfans the great site it was and maybe hopefully might be in the future.

18. pasotex

pasotex 2,500+ Posts

19. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Not excited but completely understandable. Thank you very much for your time and efforts to keep this going for as long as you did.

20. Bevo-Stevo

Bevo-Stevo 1,000+ Posts

I hope you reconsider, but understand if you don't.

Thanks! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

21. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Oh crap! I spend hours at night reading through posts and catching up on opinions on current events. I may have the shakes for a few weeks. It'll be like losing a family member.

Thank you for allowing me to participate!

22. yelladawgdem

yelladawgdem 2,500+ Posts

After checking my email in the mornings, this is the next place I go. Thank you for a great ride. Your hard work is far more appreciated than you imagine.

[​IMG]

23. jayakris

jayakris 2,500+ Posts

First of all, Thanks!

Now, I am absolutely crushed though. I have been here since 1999 or something... This is the site that had the greatest thread I have ever seen on any board (about the Trojan army before our MNC). This is what was part of our baseball NCs and final-4 and everything. All I remember about some of our best and worst sports days these 15+ years are some comments and discussions here. Since the days at the start of internet forums, I have had only two real "home" forums. One was the Austin360 board before this. Then it was this board. Other boards and paysites were there, but there was a sense of purity here that I never found elsewhere, and it came from its being a free site. That was true even with all the fights. I am just incredibly sad. I will sorely miss it.

Isn't there anyway some of us can get together and keep it going? I suppose you have looked at it all, before deciding this.

But thanks again. For the memories, again.

24. Hook 'Em Danno

Hook 'Em Danno 1,000+ Posts

Please say it ain't so. [​IMG]

Unfortunately, the lack of civility is in every aspect of society. The loss of decorum is only magnified on sites like this one where people can hide behind a screen name and spew forth all sorts of garbage--something most would never do in person.

True civil discourse is becoming a lost art, and the world is worse off because of it. So very sad to see it take down such a wonderful forum as this one.

25. tejas77

tejas77 1,000+ Posts

26. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

Thank you so much for your uncountable hours spent creating, teching, and moderating this site, Robert and Katy! I will miss the community of HornFans, which I have felt a part of for many years.
    I know it has been a thankless task on many fronts, but you created something to be proud of. The site will never be forgotten by thousands of users. I could always get a smile from the classics pages.
    The news saddens me, but is not totally unexpected.
    You put up with a lot,and maybe you want to go on to other things now, like having a life. Bravo!

27. Bob in Houston

Bob in Houston 2,500+ Posts

Best to everyone.

28. johnnyg88

johnnyg88 500+ Posts

I really hate to see this happen. I don't post that much, but I read nearly everything. This site has always been my go-to site for level headed thinking without all of the bull from that other site. I appreciate all of your effort, and like others, if you reconsider, that would be great. I guess you can ban all of the dumbasses that pop up on here. I read everything NB does, regarding baseball. Been in Austin and UT since '69, which was a great year for the 'Horns, including baseball. Again, I really appreciate your work here, and perhaps we don't crash and burn on Halloween. Hook'm.

29. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

Oh no! My favorite site is going away. I don't post much but like to lurk.

I met Robert & Katy on the Hawaii road trip! So much fun!

For being such incredible ambassadors for Texas all these years, I thank you as well. [​IMG]

I will not go to another site as they are bafoons ...

I will miss my dysfunctional inter web family. Good luck to all!!! [​IMG]

30. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Thanks for putting up with us as long as you did.

Can somebody come up with a replacement pretty quick? That might be cool to have a place to migrate to and keep some of the gang together. As long as they don’t hang out on my lawn.

[​IMG]