The Burning Questions of Thanksgiving

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by salonghorn-70, Nov 4, 2012.

1. salonghorn-70

salonghorn-70 2,500+ Posts

Just trying to revive this Board. Help me out.

It is November and that means Thanksgiving. So here are the burning questions.

Do you call it dressing or stuffing?

Cornbread, bread or something else?

Stuff the turkey or bake separately?

My family always called it dressing. Perhaps because my mom never stuffed the turkey. Always baked it separately. Seriously, I think that she thought that if you stuffed the turkey, then food poisoning would result. [​IMG]

She always made a very traditional southern cornbread dressing. No oysters, raisons., apples or rice. I know that she put celery, green pepper and onion in it. Also, maybe stale bread crumbs. I once got her to write down the recipe but quickly lost it after a move. I hate to say it but if you add sautéed onions, celery, green pepper, and home made turkey stock to Stove Top cornbread stuffing, it tastes just about as good as hers.

As an adult, I have maintained the nothing but cornbread tradition. I stuff the turkey and call it stuffing.

Cornbread stuffing is probably my favorite part of the meal. As mentioned above, I have used stovetop a little more. If you add things to it, it is good. Try it, you will be amazed.

I have always said that Thanksgiving is a turkey dinner and a victory over the aggies. Well, we don't have that this year. So I will simply say that Thanksgiving is a turkey dinner and a Longhorn victory.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Michtex

Michtex 1,000+ Posts

My mom makes a similar dressing, sans, the bell pepper.

I'm like you and got the recipe for it (and tamales) so that we'll always have it.

I love the smell of the onion and celery being sauteed in butter. I'll always equate that smell with the holidays.

3. salonghorn-70

4. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

I'm not a big fan of stuffing.

I usually at least partially smoke my bird with apple wood and stuff it with apple slices, celery, onion. I use a lavender, provencial herb based spice. A lot of people are against smoking lean meats because they can be tough if you cook too long and at too low of a temperature. Beautiful coloring and taste if done right, though.

Sides
    Sweet potato pie with pecans on half and marshmellow topping on the other half (for the kids). Pecan pie and or blackberry brown betty. If it is just family I might do a chocolate souffle or Bananas Foster. I'll bake fresh bread and make a Greek Salad with tomatos, artichoke hearts, olives, romaine, onion, and vinagrette. Perhaps I'll make some green dish if I feel like something else is needed. And my wife likes stuffing so I'll make that with her as a side.

5. Michtex

Michtex 1,000+ Posts

Twice baked sweet potato with pineapple, golden raisins, cinnamon, brown sugar, chopped pecans, and vanilla if I remember correctly.

6. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

Mine doesn't use pineapple or raisins just mashed sweet potatoes, sugar, salt, vanilla, eggs, and butter. It is pretty close to the Ruth's Chris version if I remember correctly.

7. Roger

Roger 1,000+ Posts

8. salonghorn-70

9. Roger

Roger 1,000+ Posts

no, not in the turkey, just bake it separately. I smoke my turkey and usually just stuff with and apple and or onion and sometimes shove an open beer up there too.

10. AustinBat

AustinBat 2,500+ Posts

Google Southern Living crock pot cornbread dressing. It's just like the one my grandmother made, and it's so easy!

11. salonghorn-70

Austin Bat, I googled it and it looked very good. My problem is that I have always been too afraid to put any kind of a bread item into a crock pot.

12. South Austin

South Austin 2,500+ Posts

I call it stuffing and prefer it with bread and actually stuffed in the turkey. My mom's from the midwest and we grew up on the east coast, so that might have something to do with it.

I married a girl from an East Texas family, and I've had to get used to "dressing" made with cornbread and not stuffed into the turkey. It's a bit soggier than the bread stuffing I grew up with, but it's all the rage in her family.

13. AustinBat

AustinBat 2,500+ Posts

Salonghorn, it's really good. If you stir it every so often and add some chicken broth if it seems too dry, you'll be fine. I like mine sort of dry - let the gravy moisten it! But you have plenty of time to watch it and get the consistency you like.